XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Oil smell inside and slight smoke from hood

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2023, 01:57 PM
Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Oil smell inside and slight smoke from hood

For a while from time to time started feeling burned oil smell inside the car. Thought that it may be some leftovers on exhaust or other hot parts from repairs before, as no leakage is seen from top or bottom in engine area.
Few weeks ago steering wheel started to be harder from time to time and howling during driving.
Few days ago changed the power steering fluid. System was lacking about 1 liter. But no spots of leaking were found.
Today got oil smell today. It is stronger when stopped. And finally saw the smoke coming from hud corner on passenger side (right). The car was worm at that moment.
any idwa where to start the check up? Dont want ro go to service and ask to search for something that i do not know about.
hope thats not manifold cover again, that was cracked and changed before. It had a crack, that was leaking and visible only when car is hot and under torque. So that was a big problem to find.

Last edited by Norbertas; 05-05-2023 at 02:01 PM.
Old 05-05-2023, 03:50 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,907 Likes on 3,210 Posts

Norbertas, I had a similar problem with my car. You do not state where you are from nor what year car you have. But, based on what you are describing, i would say that your problem lies with the steering rack under the car (assuming a right hand drive car). On my car, what I found was the lines for the steering rack made a funny angle just inside the front tire. This put stress on the union and would cause it to leak. Because of the tray under the car, I would not see any leakage, but I could smell some hot fluid. To fix this, I ended up getting a new set of lines with the cooler in it and I could remove the one line that made the sharp bend (made like a 135 degree bend at the end). I seem to recall opening up the bend so that it was not pressed against the frame of the car. This allowed the joint to not be under stress and leak. If you get under the car, you will see where the line attaches to the steering rack and then has a metal end to it and where it transitions back to a rubber hose, that point is where it contacts the frame. Bend the metal tubing slightly to give some clearance and you are good. Probably will need to replace the o-ring on the end of the hose and then refill the system as you are going to drain it when you disconnect the hose.

Old 05-05-2023, 04:09 PM

Sorry, did not mention - model is XJ 2010 3.0D. The car is LHD.
But you have a good point. Will try to check that out. Maybe try to reach that part with hand in blind to feel if there are any oil spills.
Also found this thread on XK8 forum. Looks like this also could be the issue
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...de-car-254696/

Last edited by Norbertas; 05-05-2023 at 04:24 PM.
Old 05-05-2023, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 409 Likes on 280 Posts

Are you in the Uk . Going by it's a diesel , I think you are , manifolds are a big problem on the diesels and by your patchy description I would say one has gone before . If that's the case normally the two would get replaced as the other one would not be long behind , as you are experiencing now , more big bills to come

Old 05-06-2023, 12:51 AM

I'm ftom Lithuania, eastern Europe. I will have to check if only one or both manifold covers were changed last time. Probably just one. As i asked service to retunr the old one to see the problem.
But why you mentioned big bills? Cover itself is not so expensive.

Old 05-06-2023, 06:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 409 Likes on 280 Posts

Hi the cover is only a couple hundred each but on top of that labour costs to remove and fit new ones is high as engine comes out , vasra is your man he's from Sweden and is very knowledgeable on the Diesel engines will give you the best advice a real nice guy

Old 05-06-2023, 11:57 AM
Received 237 Likes on 180 Posts

Norbertas: I think you have found the issue already, if you did need to add 1 litre oil for the power steering system. Oil is propably sprayed by airflow to the hot exhaust parts where its burns and make the smell. Take the car to the lift and remove undertray. Follow the hints given by Thermo earlier on this thread.
Ps: George: I live in Finland, but close enough

The following users liked this post:
KiwiJon (05-07-2023)
Old 05-06-2023, 11:59 AM

If we are talking about this cover, this was changed withour removing engine. Did not check the second one yet, but here are the pictures of first crack.

Crack close-up

View from inside

Thanks for mentionong Vasara, he already helped me a lot. He looks like walking Jagopedia