XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

OK let's hear everyone say something nice about their XJ

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 09:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts
Default OK let's hear everyone say something nice about their XJ

I understand on forums like this, most people only post when they have issues or complaints. As an owner of the older gen X350 that's aspiring for the new XJ, I must say it's disheartening reading some of these threads.

So let's try and be positive and say something nice about your car once week, OK? (do the same for your partner or spouse also)

Cheers,
Wolfy

Old 10-19-2015, 07:20 AM
MHT
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolfy
I understand on forums like this, most people only post when they have issues or complaints. As an owner of the older gen X350 that's aspiring for the new XJ, I must say it's disheartening reading some of these threads.

So let's try and be positive and say something nice about your car once week, OK? (do the same for your partner or spouse also)

Cheers,
Wolfy
This is my first Jaguar. Despite some of the negative things that I had heard about Jaguar, I decided to give it a try. After all some of my worse experiences were with cars that were rated high in reliability.
The Jag XJ is awesome in all respects. It is quiet, smooth riding, performance and handling is very good for a car of this size. All features are user friendly and work flawlessly.
My only disappointment is the Meridian Premium Sound opposed to Surround Sound as being standard in this car. The Premium Sound is not bad but Surround Sound would have been much nicer.
The intelligent stop start took some getting use to but boy does it improve gas milage as I am averaging 21.5mpg and that is a combination of mostly city and some highway driving.
I do not care for some of the exterior and interior changes to the 2016 but some of the optional features will be standard equipment and some new features will be added, a move which IMO is a move in the right direction for Jag.
If I had known what I know now I may have held out for the 2016 Jag but than again knowing that I can live without the changes to the 2016 Jag, it was a better financial move to purchase this car.
Jag still needs to get on board with some of the latest safety features.

Last edited by MHT; 10-19-2015 at 04:52 PM.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by MHT
The Jag XJ is awesome in all respects. It is quiet, smooth riding, performance and handling is very good for a car of this size. All features are user friendly and work flawlessly.
Sounds good. Keep the positive energy flowing

Old 10-19-2015, 11:32 AM
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

The X351 has the nicest interior I've ever seen in a non-exotic car. It's also the most unique sedan in its class, with the elegance and style of a Maserati or Bentley while being far more practical and reliable. I see S-Classes and 7 series all the time, I see maybe 1-2 other XJ's a week.

The small touches are what set this car apart: The leather trimmed dash, seat piping, the blue LEDs that light up the interior at night - it seems designed with uncompromising perfection in mind when compared to a BMW which feels like it was built by bean counters.

I'm extremely picky when it comes to cars, it's nice to have found one that I look forward to driving every day.

The following users liked this post:
retriever-007 (11-07-2015)
Old 10-19-2015, 12:15 PM
Location: Mooresville, NC (Race City USA), home of most NASCAR teams.
Received 481 Likes on 368 Posts

My XJL is probably the best looking car, inside and out, of any on the road. The handling, ride comfort and overall performance is outstanding. Its sound system, engine sound and interior quiet is a delight. The safety features are comprehensive. I love it!

Old 10-19-2015, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,325 Likes on 3,466 Posts

I don't know which one I love more, my XJ or my XKR. Both are drop-dead gorgeous and drive great. The XKR delivers what is expected from its looks, but the XJ delivers more than its looks suggest. I'm amazed by my XJs Jekyll and Hyde personality; it's Beauty that becomes the Beast simply by mashing the exhilarator pedal. Compared to my XKR, my XJ seems quicker (470 hp/8-speed vs. 420 hp/6-speed) and handles just as well in Dynamic mode. If the XJ was available as a convertible the XKR would be superfluous.

Although my previous 2007 Lexus LS460 had more bells and whistles, it was no where near as much fun to drive as my XJ. The XJ's low-end torque is addictive. And my XJ is much quieter inside than my LS460, which was plagued with wind noise that the dealer was unable to fix - new weatherstrip, double-glazed side glass, multiple adjustments. So much for the"relentless pursuit of perfection" hype.

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
hisport (10-05-2022), retriever-007 (11-07-2015)
Old 10-19-2015, 07:36 PM
MHT

Originally Posted by Stuart S
I don't know which one I love more, my XJ or my XKR. Both are drop-dead gorgeous and drive great. The XKR delivers what is expected from its looks, but the XJ delivers more than its looks suggest. I'm amazed by my XJs Jekyll and Hyde personality; it's Beauty that becomes the Beast simply by mashing the exhilarator pedal. Compared to my XKR, my XJ seems quicker (470 hp/8-speed vs. 420 hp/6-speed) and handles just as well in Dynamic mode. If the XJ was available as a convertible the XKR would be superfluous.

Although my previous 2007 Lexus LS460 had more bells and whistles, it was no where near as much fun to drive as my XJ. The XJ's low-end torque is addictive. And my XJ is much quieter inside than my LS460, which was plagued with wind noise that the dealer was unable to fix - new weatherstrip, double-glazed side glass, multiple adjustments. So much for the"relentless pursuit of perfection" hype.
I was one of the first to order the 2007 Lexus LS460 from my dealership. I thought it would be just as nice as the 2005 Lexus LS430 that I traded, boy was I wrong.
I too experienced the wind noise and after both front side glass replacements no fix. The glove box shook and after 5 glove box replacements and damage to the interior from the glass replacement and glove box replacements and along with poor customer service from both the dealership and Lexus, I cut my losses and traded the car after 9mos. and 9,000 miles.
For the life of me I cannot see how Lexus gets such high ratings. The Lexus LS460 today IMO is no match for the Jaguar XJ not even in the same class.
Did you know that the wind noise issue is still and issue even with some of the 2015's, what a joke.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:42 PM
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I love my Silver Cat. Love the gear knob which rises out of the console; the start/stop button pulsating like a heartbeat when I sit in it, waiting for me to push it and start the engine; the classy interior like a classic English Library/Study; the leather which goes on and on for miles within the car; the claw-like tail lights; and finally, the stunningly gorgeous exterior, like a big cat on the prowl, about to pounce on anything that is too slow!

Old 10-20-2015, 06:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

I own both the 2014 xjl and the 2015 F-Type S. I am happy as ever with both cars for differing reasons.

When I step into the XJL, I am blown away by how solid, smooth riding, good looking in and out it is. The build quality is excellent, and the sound system is deliberate in delivery...high's high, mid's mid, and low's low. Couldn't ask for a better car at all. Do I like the Eco mode? HELL NO, but I could easily disable this if I want. I hate at a light when it shuts down and i forgot to hit the button to disable. When I do this thought, a hideous Amber light shows up on the dashboard......, reminding me of the check engine light. Thus the reason I want to some Saturday disable it in both cars. I can't hold Jaguar hostage for this because Mercedes, BMW and Audi now do the same thing.

Great car, positive all of the way around and serves the purpose with distinction and class!

Old 10-20-2015, 08:31 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello there,
I love the XJ's very much and I'm looking to buy a 2011 XJL Portfolio... The only thing holding me back is: I read a lot about how the ride is harsh, somewhat like a XKR. Can you please advise... I already have an XKR!
Thanks

Old 10-20-2015, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

If you are looking for a cushy boulevard cruiser you won't find it in an XJ. What you will find is a sophisticated performance sedan in the English manor. The ride is firm, but smooth and the handling is superb. This is my fourth XJ and by far the best. In 3 years I have over 50k on it and have only had 2 issues, one the water pump and second a cam adjustment module,. Both fixed by my dealer. The interior is unmatched IMHO. At least once a week someone will comment of the beauty of the Cat.

The following 2 users liked this post by XJsss:
Pigi (10-22-2015), retriever-007 (11-07-2015)
Old 10-20-2015, 02:38 PM
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I had a few cars in my "not-so-long" life ( afterall, I'm not even 40 ) but the XJ is really the best of everything - bear in mind that, I'm European and as such I have the 300hp diesel version and not the lavishing 5,0 supercharged which the majority people have here in the forum ( since they are across the pond where gasoline is cheap as hell ).

Nonetheless, I have the car for a couple of months and :

- the style. its just a thing to behold and I keep staring at the car after I park it. I admit, I was a bit worried to buy this car with my age ( 38 ) since its perceived as a "older gent" car. To be perfectly honest, its a car that its sterotyped to someone with my father's age, not mine. Specially when I traded in a 911 Turbo for this. but this car is just GORGEOUS

- the interior. jags have sumptuous interiors but this is just another level. I've been in a new S class and while very nice the big LCD screens, it can't match the Jag's. Also, I've been to the new 7 series presentation and again, quite nice - but not "uh-ah-uh-la-la" nice of this car

- timeless. it does have a few bells and whistles but it doesnt rely on them to be superlative. example : the S class or the 7 Series from BMW are HEADS and SHOULDERS more tech advanced than the XJ. But their supposed superiority are because of that. In a few years, a normal car will have that tech and they wont impress anymore. Do you feel impressed by the tech in a 2004 S Class ? Today ? no, I suspect not, unless you still have a 1980 car. The XJ, oozes style and class. Not tech

- regarding the tech - its simple, direct. EVERYTHING that the car has, it is NOT buried in a 34 page submenu. And yes, you cannot change every single setting in the car. No, its not a BMW and you cannot change the 34 settings of the gearbox. neither you cannot change the 12 suspension modes and chassis this. its simple but at the same time, you have control - you can change gearbox and chassis settings - confort and sport. there, you have it. no silly submenus for this and that

- there are quite a few options, if you are going to be used one - buy well. for me, I do find a pity that I was not better informed when I bought mine, there are a few options that mine does not have and I miss them - like adaptative headlights. Things not to miss - Meridan Sounds System ( a must, dont settle for the base one ) sounds like .. HEAVEN, Portfolio package ( adds a lot of base stuff and you get the better seats, with all the adjustments and massage/ventilation/heating ), Adaptive headlights ... and from there on, then its a matter of personal preference - I would spend time looking for one with 20 wheels and illumination package + dual screen, but that would be me. Mine doesnt have neither of the latter and I'm happy

- beware of the wheel size - mine rides on 19" and it glides on the motorway. people with 20 and 21 do usually complain about the ride

- 2012/2013 years had adjustments ( apparently ) on the dampers to have a more confortable ride. Dont know if it can be retrofitted to 2011 cars. Mine is a 2014 and it is quite confortable

- sportiness. there isnt anything this big that handle this well. and at the same time is this confortable. trully a big cat that honours the Jaguar badge

- feels premium. feels special, makes you feel special. which is nice - you paid for it, you want to feel the top of the world. and you do. has the same "aura" that a Bentley or a Rolls do - I had a Bentley for two months and it makes you fell the same way

- economy - again, bear in mind that I have the diesel, but I it does pack a powerfull punch ( has more torque than the superchaged ) and the economy is trully mindblowing : I get 33-34 usMPG on the highway at... erm... not so legal speeds and in town, in stop and go traffic, I get 27-26 usMPG. To be perfectly honest, if someone said this to me, in a car this big, I would said "liar"

- beware of the roof rattle - some of them do rattle ( mine is in Jaguar Portugal now for a fix ) but its fixable

- some people complain about the start-stop - I love it. it really makes the car economical and its down to "foot pressure". If you press it naturally or hard, it activates the system. If you press it gently, it doesnt - it is just a matter of getting used to it.

All in all, its hands down the best car I've owned. I drove quite a few miles in these 3 months or so that I own it ( I drive around 1500/2000 miles per month), but been very impressed with the ride, confort, sportiness and economy.

Sometimes its easy to fault a car, because online you can only ready angry customers -and not happy drivers.

Let me put this way : if I had 100,000€ to spend in a new car, I would buy a 2016 XJ with my eyes closed and with zero hesitation over a new S class or BMW 7 or Audi A8.

Save your pennies and get one. Its trully a magnificient car.

Last edited by Goncalo Proenca; 10-20-2015 at 02:42 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by Goncalo Proenca:
Kodiak (10-20-2015), LiquidIce (10-21-2015), Pigi (10-22-2015), retriever-007 (11-07-2015), slojotaa (10-21-2015), Wolfy (10-20-2015) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-20-2015, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 362 Posts

I've got two X350s and I feel they represent the last proper XJ styling. They are undeniably beautiful cars, and you can see any profile of the car and know instantly that it is an XJ. When you drive one you feel like Arthur Daley.

I've also got a LWB X351 and as a luxury saloon car I love it. The exterior front is unmistakably a Jaguar and the side profile is so beautiful I could easily get arrested for doing naughty things to it with my pants down, but the rear, despite growing on me since I’ve owned one, still isn’t 100% XJ. It looks like any other large saloon car on the road until you get close enough to spot the headlamps. (That’s the reason I’m not keen on the XF – they had to put both a badge and write “Jaguar” on it so people could work out it what it was.)

The X351 is a car which really has to been seen moving to really appreciate it. Whenever I see one drive past I have to stop and admire it.

I didn’t buy it for the outside though, I bought it because to drive it is always a rewarding experience.

The sweeping low instrument panel/dashboard is beautifully designed and little design things like the round rotating air vents make you feel like you are flying business class. The floor console with the gear selector is nicely proportioned so there is not too much shiny plastic in once place (unlike the consoles on the XF, XK, etc). The various controls have been perfectly optimised for eye line and reach (an annoying problem with the X350 design). I can spend an hour sitting in a traffic jam and not feel at all stressed. It is a nicer place to watch TV than my living room! When I complete my journeys I feel obliged to thank the car for having me along.

Handling is good, but IMO the steering is not as good as with the X350s. That may just be because the steering on the older model was so well done, but it is what it is. I was seriously considering getting a new XJR instead of the F-Type R but the handling on the F-Type felt “closer”. (Plus I almost did a man wee when I first stood behind one starting up, but I digress. ) The X351s I’ve driven are not particularly harsh and nothing like a 2007 XKR (the only one I’ve driven), but the only way to be sure is to get some test drives in for yourself and see if you like it.

As Stuart mentions XJs are cars that always deliver more than you would expect. Understated. Non-owners expect a big wallowy canal barge but instead when you put your foot down the car shrinks to half its length and even the 3 litre diesel engine pushes it along like a rocket ship. Drive the supercharged petrol engines and with a plank of wood tied to the roof you could take off.

The following 4 users liked this post by xdave:
LiquidIce (10-21-2015), Pigi (10-22-2015), retriever-007 (11-07-2015), Wolfy (10-21-2015)
Old 10-21-2015, 12:24 PM
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Excellent review, Goncalo and xdave...made for some nice reading indeed.

Btw xdave, man, you sure do love your Jags...you could compete with a dealership fleet with all the Jags that you own!

Old 10-21-2015, 04:55 PM
xjb
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The supercharged V-8 is ridiculously powerful and smooth.

The exterior looks push the envelope and ensure the car stands out from its more generic competition. Not to everyone's tastes, but certainly to mine.

The quality of interior materials beats anything anywhere close in price. The design of the interior is the best on any car I've ever seen regardless of price.

Old 10-22-2015, 04:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by xjb
The supercharged V-8 is ridiculously powerful and smooth.

The exterior looks push the envelope and ensure the car stands out from its more generic competition. Not to everyone's tastes, but certainly to mine.

The quality of interior materials beats anything anywhere close in price. The design of the interior is the best on any car I've ever seen regardless of price.
+1

Old 10-22-2015, 06:53 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Gents,
I can't thank you enough for the tremendous and valuable insights you've shared with us. Even if I know nothing about Jaguars, I would be sold right out to buy one. This 2011 SJL Portfolio has only 22000 km on it and looks brand new, parked at the Jaguar dealer in Lebanon.
I really appreciate your input because shelling out $85K to get it is not easy. When I go back there in December, I'll test drive it and update you all.
Again many thanks.

By the way I love my XKR. Even though it's a 2002 model, it's still fantastic and people always stop me to glare and admire it.
Cheers

Old 10-26-2015, 11:14 AM
MHT

Originally Posted by Goncalo Proenca
I had a few cars in my "not-so-long" life ( afterall, I'm not even 40 ) but the XJ is really the best of everything - bear in mind that, I'm European and as such I have the 300hp diesel version and not the lavishing 5,0 supercharged which the majority people have here in the forum ( since they are across the pond where gasoline is cheap as hell ).

Nonetheless, I have the car for a couple of months and :

- the style. its just a thing to behold and I keep staring at the car after I park it. I admit, I was a bit worried to buy this car with my age ( 38 ) since its perceived as a "older gent" car. To be perfectly honest, its a car that its sterotyped to someone with my father's age, not mine. Specially when I traded in a 911 Turbo for this. but this car is just GORGEOUS

- the interior. jags have sumptuous interiors but this is just another level. I've been in a new S class and while very nice the big LCD screens, it can't match the Jag's. Also, I've been to the new 7 series presentation and again, quite nice - but not "uh-ah-uh-la-la" nice of this car

- timeless. it does have a few bells and whistles but it doesnt rely on them to be superlative. example : the S class or the 7 Series from BMW are HEADS and SHOULDERS more tech advanced than the XJ. But their supposed superiority are because of that. In a few years, a normal car will have that tech and they wont impress anymore. Do you feel impressed by the tech in a 2004 S Class ? Today ? no, I suspect not, unless you still have a 1980 car. The XJ, oozes style and class. Not tech

- regarding the tech - its simple, direct. EVERYTHING that the car has, it is NOT buried in a 34 page submenu. And yes, you cannot change every single setting in the car. No, its not a BMW and you cannot change the 34 settings of the gearbox. neither you cannot change the 12 suspension modes and chassis this. its simple but at the same time, you have control - you can change gearbox and chassis settings - confort and sport. there, you have it. no silly submenus for this and that

- there are quite a few options, if you are going to be used one - buy well. for me, I do find a pity that I was not better informed when I bought mine, there are a few options that mine does not have and I miss them - like adaptative headlights. Things not to miss - Meridan Sounds System ( a must, dont settle for the base one ) sounds like .. HEAVEN, Portfolio package ( adds a lot of base stuff and you get the better seats, with all the adjustments and massage/ventilation/heating ), Adaptive headlights ... and from there on, then its a matter of personal preference - I would spend time looking for one with 20 wheels and illumination package + dual screen, but that would be me. Mine doesnt have neither of the latter and I'm happy

- beware of the wheel size - mine rides on 19" and it glides on the motorway. people with 20 and 21 do usually complain about the ride

- 2012/2013 years had adjustments ( apparently ) on the dampers to have a more confortable ride. Dont know if it can be retrofitted to 2011 cars. Mine is a 2014 and it is quite confortable

- sportiness. there isnt anything this big that handle this well. and at the same time is this confortable. trully a big cat that honours the Jaguar badge

- feels premium. feels special, makes you feel special. which is nice - you paid for it, you want to feel the top of the world. and you do. has the same "aura" that a Bentley or a Rolls do - I had a Bentley for two months and it makes you fell the same way

- economy - again, bear in mind that I have the diesel, but I it does pack a powerfull punch ( has more torque than the superchaged ) and the economy is trully mindblowing : I get 33-34 usMPG on the highway at... erm... not so legal speeds and in town, in stop and go traffic, I get 27-26 usMPG. To be perfectly honest, if someone said this to me, in a car this big, I would said "liar"

- beware of the roof rattle - some of them do rattle ( mine is in Jaguar Portugal now for a fix ) but its fixable

- some people complain about the start-stop - I love it. it really makes the car economical and its down to "foot pressure". If you press it naturally or hard, it activates the system. If you press it gently, it doesnt - it is just a matter of getting used to it.

All in all, its hands down the best car I've owned. I drove quite a few miles in these 3 months or so that I own it ( I drive around 1500/2000 miles per month), but been very impressed with the ride, confort, sportiness and economy.

Sometimes its easy to fault a car, because online you can only ready angry customers -and not happy drivers.

Let me put this way : if I had 100,000€ to spend in a new car, I would buy a 2016 XJ with my eyes closed and with zero hesitation over a new S class or BMW 7 or Audi A8.

Save your pennies and get one. Its trully a magnificient car.
My car came with the Meridian Premium Sound System. I was surprised that Surround Sound was not a standard feature, it will be on the 2016.
I do not see that big of difference between the Premium Sound and the Surround Sound as to were I would have paid $2,500.00 for it and at $4,000.00 the Reference Sound System would not be an option for me either. I would like to hear the Reference Sound System for the sake of comparison.
The Premium (Stereo) System is not a bad system as sound quality is very good but it does not have the punch of a good Surround Sound System but IMO the Meridian Surround System does not pack much punch either as I have heard what I would consider better.

Old 11-07-2015, 10:54 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We absolutely love our 2013 XJ and are just short of 50K miles and have had no real issues. Had to have the accessory storage lid changed due to peeling chrome and an emblem fell off on the back door but that was it. Just replaced rear tires so got really good mileage out of the factory tires. Replaced the Pirelli tires with Bridgestone Turanza and it drives great.
The new Jag has come a long ways from the Vanderplas days.

Old 11-07-2015, 06:28 PM
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

My first Jaguar and love this automobile. I can't add much more to what has already been said but I will offer this info. Today was at a funeral and remarks made of the person who had passed were that he's seen Lamborghini and Maserati but his favorite was the Jag.
After the funeral people noticed my XJL and came over and wanted to see it. One person even said his 8 yr old son thought it was a beautiful car so I let him sit in it--you should have seen the wide smile on his face. The one thing I can say is this car gets noticed.
In my town the M-B, Audi, Lexus and even Porsche are so common they are no different than seeing on the highway a Toyota or Honda. The Jaguar is not an every-day vehicle and that's what I prefer. Although my XJL has a 675 w audio system I find that quite pleasing for my listening pleasure. I hear differentiation in sounds that don't exist in my wife's 10 speaker premium Bose system in her '15 Buick Enclave.
So far I only have 13,800 miles but no problems and no complaints. For the money one should buy this automobile. Soon though this automobile will be hibernating in the garage for the winter; it will only awake on nice days and no snow on the ground.

Quick Reply: OK let's hear everyone say something nice about their XJ