XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

OK let's hear everyone say something nice about their XJ

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by retriever-007
In my town the M-B, Audi, Lexus and even Porsche are so common they are no different than seeing on the highway a Toyota or Honda. The Jaguar is not an every-day vehicle and that's what I prefer.
Last weekend I went cruising in the San Gabriel Mountains in my friend's 2013 Lexus GS350. A very comfortable car with gee-whiz electronics onboard, but too quiet and antiseptic for me, missing the raspy engine roar of my XJ8L when pedaled to the metal.

Amusingly, of all the Jags I have owned, there was a common theme. Many times when I would return to my parked car, I would find paw marks on the car or a kitty cat resting under the Big Kitty. I loved that!

And I am a cat person, can't stand dogs.

Cheers,
Wolfy

The following users liked this post:
retriever-007 (11-13-2015)
Old 11-16-2015, 04:10 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So far had it for 2 weeks and been in the shop since for the following reason:
1. Sunroof rattle - fixed
2. Lettering wear on turn signal indicator- fixed
3. Kinked window seal - fixed
4. Crack on front dash wood trim- TBD by Jaguar
5. Dead battery - fixed
6. Software update- completed
7. Shimmy wobble- cause due to aftermarket wheels had no hub rings- to be completed
8. TPMS software updated because TPMS error light
9. 2nd time went back because TPMS error light came back on due to either faulty TPMS sensor or not properly programmed by technician
10. So far a complete pain in the *** but i dont mind it since dealer is 5 min from house and they give me free rental.
11. Horrendous MPG 13.5-14 in city

Cant say anything nice about it yet until the problems go away besides the usual fact that it looks amazing and interior is awesome and that its fast and very classy looking

retriever-007 (11-17-2015)
Old 11-16-2015, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sonicd0012
Cant say anything nice about it yet until the problems go away besides the usual fact that it looks amazing and interior is awesome and that its fast and very classy looking
Sorry to hear that. Did you buy the car from the dealer or private party? I would always insist on a pre-purchase inspection.
Hope they gave you a nice XJ loaner.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Wolfy
Sorry to hear that. Did you buy the car from the dealer or private party? I would always insist on a pre-purchase inspection.
Hope they gave you a nice XJ loaner.
XJ loaner? yea right. XF, Evoque and Discovery

Old 11-17-2015, 04:18 PM
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

1. Sunroof rattle - fixed
2. Lettering wear on turn signal indicator- fixed
3. Kinked window seal - fixed
4. Crack on front dash wood trim- TBD by Jaguar
5. Dead battery - fixed
6. Software update- completed
7. Shimmy wobble- cause due to aftermarket wheels had no hub rings- to be completed
8. TPMS software updated because TPMS error light
9. 2nd time went back because TPMS error light came back on due to either faulty TPMS sensor or not properly programmed by technician
10. So far a complete pain in the *** but i dont mind it since dealer is 5 min from house and they give me free rental.
11. Horrendous MPG 13.5-14 in city

How many miles on the car when you purchased it?

Old 11-18-2015, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by retriever-007
How many miles on the car when you purchased it?
Hi, almost brand new only 24K, came from lease

retriever-007 (11-18-2015)
Old 11-18-2015, 01:12 PM

Hi, almost brand new only 24K, came from lease
I presume since you're still under warranty your repair work is being taken care of by the dealership.
Enjoy the ride.

Old 11-20-2015, 03:27 AM
MHT
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

As this is the first car that I have owned in years that did not have Surround Sound , I was concerned that I was not getting the sound that I was accustom to.
The bass in the Premium Sound System just sounds a little weak to me and it seemed like I just was not getting the fullness of sound that you get with Surround Sound.
I went to the dealership to compare my Premium sound system with the 825 Watt Surround Sound System. Much to my surprise after setting the tone as the same in my car, when I switched between Stereo and Meridian Sound I did not hear that big of a difference. It was pretty much the same when I switched between Dolby and DTS.
When I returned home I made some changes in my tone settings that made a slight difference and the Premium Sound System sounded a little better. In HD broad cast I think the sound is better if not compareable to having surround sound.
Yesterday I had my brother in laws 2016 Cadillac XTS and I compared my Meridian Premium Sound System to his Bose Surround System and it was astonishing to find out that the differentiation between sounds is much better with my system. I was surprised at the instruments that I could hear better with my system than his.
I now have a better appreciation for the Meridian Premium Sound and as it is more of a mental thing that I would desire to have the Meridian 825 Watt Surround System, knowing what I know now I do not think I would pay $2,500.00 for it, making it a standard feature in the 2016 XJ was IMO a good move.

Last edited by MHT; 11-20-2015 at 03:30 AM.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MHT
Yesterday I had my brother in laws 2016 Cadillac XTS and I compared my Meridian Premium Sound System to his Bose Surround System and it was astonishing to find out that the differentiation between sounds is much better with my system.
Judging from your post, I gather you are an audiophile like myself and, as such, have a keener appreciation of hi-res lossless 24-bit/192kHz audio than most people who subsist on the lossey mp3's.

I do my dedicated music listening on my high-end 2.0 and 5.1 home systems and my collection of flagship AKG, Sennheiser and head-amps. In my car I just have basic Alpine audio for talk and podcasts. In my opinion and that of most self-respecting audiophiles, BOSE is only good for their noise-cancellation headphones. Their 'systems' are overpriced gimmicks that may be okay for movies but not suitable for serious acoustic music. (I listen to mainly Classical/opera).

I have not heard the Meridian Surround, but I know they make high-end audiophile gear such as the $2000 Meridian Prime head-amp so I would not doubt their capabilities. I just heard the fabled Mark Levinson Surround in my friend's new Lexus GS350 and found it to be astonishingly detailed but very clinical and dry. IMHO the Brits do the best high-end audio, lots of warmth AND details. (Bowers & Wilkins, KEF, Epos, Monitor Audio...)

Cheers,
Wolfy

Last edited by Wolfy; 11-20-2015 at 10:53 AM.
retriever-007 (11-20-2015)
Old 11-20-2015, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

i love my XJ....I loved all my XJ's....always had and always will. Ive had a 2003, 2005, 2008 and 2012

They've always been the under dog compared to the Germans.....and a little rare since everyone flocked to the Germans, which is one thing i really enjoyed.

But im in super love with my 2012 XJ. EVERYTHING about it is amazing, from the way it looks, to the way it sounds, drives, feels. The only thing i dont like is the navi-system, but the rest of the car makes up for it.

retriever-007 (11-20-2015)
Old 11-20-2015, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by carzaddict
The only thing i dont like is the navi-system, but the rest of the car makes up for it.
Out of habit, I always use my smartphone for sat/nav in any car that I drive, it beats trying to enter the address on the car's non-Qwerty keyboard or using the unresponsive voice command.

Old 11-20-2015, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by carzaddict
i love my XJ....I loved all my XJ's....always had and always will. Ive had a 2003, 2005, 2008 and 2012

They've always been the under dog compared to the Germans.....and a little rare since everyone flocked to the Germans, which is one thing i really enjoyed.

But im in super love with my 2012 XJ. EVERYTHING about it is amazing, from the way it looks, to the way it sounds, drives, feels. The only thing i dont like is the navi-system, but the rest of the car makes up for it.
I'm like you and really like my '12 XJL Portfolio. It's a fantastic automobile.

Old 11-21-2015, 03:56 AM
MHT
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolfy
Judging from your post, I gather you are an audiophile like myself and, as such, have a keener appreciation of hi-res lossless 24-bit/192kHz audio than most people who subsist on the lossey mp3's.

I do my dedicated music listening on my high-end 2.0 and 5.1 home systems and my collection of flagship AKG, Sennheiser and head-amps. In my car I just have basic Alpine audio for talk and podcasts. In my opinion and that of most self-respecting audiophiles, BOSE is only good for their noise-cancellation headphones. Their 'systems' are overpriced gimmicks that may be okay for movies but not suitable for serious acoustic music. (I listen to mainly Classical/opera).

I have not heard the Meridian Surround, but I know they make high-end audiophile gear such as the $2000 Meridian Prime head-amp so I would not doubt their capabilities. I just heard the fabled Mark Levinson Surround in my friend's new Lexus GS350 and found it to be astonishingly detailed but very clinical and dry. IMHO the Brits do the best high-end audio, lots of warmth AND details. (Bowers & Wilkins, KEF, Epos, Monitor Audio...)

Cheers,
Wolfy
I had a 2007 Lexus LS460 and was neither impressed with the car nor the Mark Levinson Sound System.