XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Options you wish you had gotten (or didn't get)

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 484 Likes on 405 Posts
Default Options you wish you had gotten (or didn't get)

I'm sort of starting a long-range search for potentially my next car (may start really trying to buy next May or so). The X351 is very high on the list.

There is a wide range of equipment on used X351s, and they command very different prices! What options do you wish you had purchased? Which can be skipped?

Last edited by amcdonal86; 09-21-2014 at 06:01 PM.
Old 09-21-2014, 06:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The rear camera is an essential, though frustratingly slow to appear when you have just started up and are ready to reverse out of a space (so best to reverse in).

Cooled seats are nice and make it worth putting up with the 2 stage selection of heated seats.

LWB really adds to the rear luxury and does not feel much longer. Also got a 19" instead of 20" wheel on a portfolio which helps the ride (still not as smooth as my X350).

DAB radio (UK), auto RV mirror dimming and heated steering wheel - would be hard to lose having had them.

Not so bothered about 'voice' (though standard I believe), limited options available.

The split screen front DVD/whitefire has never been used.

Good luck in your deliberations, don't think you will be disappointed with 351.

The following users liked this post:
amcdonal86 (09-21-2014)
Old 09-21-2014, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member

Does the automatic dimming mirror not come standard? What about the heated wheel?

Old 09-22-2014, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

Here in the States we get the reverse camera and front and rear parking sensors as standard equipment. I recommend (as I like power and handling) one of the Supercharged V8s, The Meridian 825 watt audio system is one of the finest in car systems I have heard. Rear entertainment for me is not a priority mine has only been used 3 times in 2 years. I shy away from adaptive cruise control as it would make me less aware and less concentrated on driving. A LWB is preferable if you carry passengers a lot. if I had a LWB I'd get the rear seat upgrades and tables. Of course standard equipment varies based on the model you buy.

I, absolutely love my 2013 SWB SuperSport with the speed package it can go from boulevard luxo cruiser to pocket rocket and handles speed and corners like a much smaller car. I've taken it on a road course and 1/2 mile speed shootout (141mph in 1/2 mile) and the car loves it never complains and as a matter of fact seems to run better after being pushed to it's limits.

Last edited by XJsss; 09-23-2014 at 07:04 AM.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:07 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XJsss
Here in the States we get the reverse camera and front and rear parking sensors as standard equipment. I recommend (as I like power and handling) one of the Supercharged V8s, The Meridian 825 watt audio system is one of the finest in car systems I have heard. Rear entertainment for me is not a priority mine has only been used 3 times in 2 years. I shy away from adaptive cruise control as it would make me less aware and less concentrated on driving. A LWB is preferable if you carry passengers a lot. if I had a LWB I'd get the rear seat upgrades and tables. Of course standard equipment varies based on the model you buy.

I, absolutely love my 2012 SWB SuperSport with the speed package it can go from boulevard luxo cruiser to pocket rocket and handles speed and corners like a much smaller car. I've taken it on a road course and 1/2 mile speed shootout (141mph in 1/2 mile) and the car loves it never complains and as a matter of fact seems to run better after being pushed to it's limits.
What options are available for the rear seats in the L model? At least for 2011 models, I thought the tables and the 4 zone climate came standard.

Sounds like you do a lot of spirited driving in this car. Any idea if the paddle shifters blip the throttle for down shifts like the XK, F, and XF? I've been trying to find out!

Old 09-22-2014, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member

Actually it appears that with the LWB Supersport you can get the rear comfort pack, which includes rear seat massage and reclining rear seats. I was hoping that pack came with the supercharged standard (or was at least available).

Old 09-22-2014, 08:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

While I cannot tell you the actual configurations; Jaguar in the earlier X351 years gave more content and extras as standard. But, at the very least if you like performance get a supercharged V8 or above, as there are significant differences in the suspension tune and the braking system that carries through to the SuperSport and Ultimate. As you have and XKR you appreciate the Jaguar drive and feel, think that the x351 weighs less and is a lot more powerful!

Old 09-22-2014, 09:43 PM
Location: Mooresville, NC (Race City USA), home of most NASCAR teams.
Received 481 Likes on 368 Posts

Hey Alan,
I know I've been jerking your chain for defending the Secret Service (I notice your from Arlington, VA), but as a owner of a 2011 XJL, I would strongly recommend it over the the standard wheelbase model because it provides superior room and luxury to your rear seat passengers, plus superior looks, ride, weight distribution, and less "twitchy" handling than the standard wheelbase model.
As far as options go, the Adaptive Front Lighting with intelligent high beam, with sensors that react to the cars speed, steering input and environmental light conditions, and smoothly alters the power, DIRECTION, and spread of the the Bi-xenon high intensity low/high beam headlights, are a total joy to anyone who drives at night.
If you haven't seen it, check out Metallic Caviar premium exterior paint; it blows away all others. Peace!

Old 09-22-2014, 10:06 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Actually it appears that with the LWB Supersport you can get the rear comfort pack, which includes rear seat massage and reclining rear seats. I was hoping that pack came with the supercharged standard (or was at least available).
Reclining rear seats didn't become available until 2012 and was optional, not standard, if I recall.

Rear seat massage was standard on 2011s but I think became optional in later years (2012?)

Old 09-23-2014, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by johndahlheimer
Hey Alan,
I know I've been jerking your chain for defending the Secret Service (I notice your from Arlington, VA), but as a owner of a 2011 XJL, I would strongly recommend it over the the standard wheelbase model because it provides superior room and luxury to your rear seat passengers, plus superior looks, ride, weight distribution, and less "twitchy" handling than the standard wheelbase model.
As far as options go, the Adaptive Front Lighting with intelligent high beam, with sensors that react to the cars speed, steering input and environmental light conditions, and smoothly alters the power, DIRECTION, and spread of the the Bi-xenon high intensity low/high beam headlights, are a total joy to anyone who drives at night.
If you haven't seen it, check out Metallic Caviar premium exterior paint; it blows away all others. Peace!
Thanks for the info!

I do think I will go for the long wheelbase model. The X351 is one of the few sedans that actually looks better in a stretched form!

Old 09-23-2014, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by another_geek
Reclining rear seats didn't become available until 2012 and was optional, not standard, if I recall.

Rear seat massage was standard on 2011s but I think became optional in later years (2012?)
From my research, it appears that reclining rear seats were not available in 2011. In 2012, they were available in the Supersport as an option. In 2013, they were an option on Portfolio LWB models.

My target price for about a year from now is probably going to be $35-40k, but we'll see how much we can sell our current vehicles for next year. I think that eliminates any XJ with the rear comfort pack, though, as those are likely going to be out of the price range.

I had an X350 Vanden Plas with no rear climate or reclining seats. I often wish I had bought one with those options to impress rear passengers (usually the in laws) but do you think it actually matters? Looks like I will at least be able to have rear heated and ventilated seats and 4 zone climate!

Old 09-23-2014, 03:23 PM
Received 171 Likes on 141 Posts

Thanks for the info!

I do think I will go for the long wheelbase model. The X351 is one of the few sedans that actually looks better in a stretched form!

I think I am correct in saying that the X351 was actually designed originally as a LWB car and then shortened to become the SWB unlike the X350 that was designed as a SWB and the "stretched " to a LWB. That is why it looks in proportion as an LWB.

I do have a LWB and it never ceases to amaze people with the interior space, it is a very long car when it comes to parking as well !!

Old 09-25-2014, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by roviw
I think I am correct in saying that the X351 was actually designed originally as a LWB car and then shortened to become the SWB unlike the X350 that was designed as a SWB and the "stretched " to a LWB. That is why it looks in proportion as an LWB.
I do have a LWB and it never ceases to amaze people with the interior space, it is a very long car when it comes to parking as well !!
You are correct on all points!

Old 09-25-2014, 09:58 PM

From my research, it appears that reclining rear seats were not available in 2011. In 2012, they were available in the Supersport as an option. In 2013, they were an option on Portfolio LWB models.
My target price for about a year from now is probably going to be $35-40k, but we'll see how much we can sell our current vehicles for next year. I think that eliminates any XJ with the rear comfort pack, though, as those are likely going to be out of the price range.
I had an X350 Vanden Plas with no rear climate or reclining seats. I often wish I had bought one with those options to impress rear passengers (usually the in laws) but do you think it actually matters? Looks like I will at least be able to have rear heated and ventilated seats and 4 zone climate!
Your research is correct. Probably he best way to impress your in-laws is simply to be a loving husband, and a considerate son-in-law. If they, or anyone else, aren't impressed with the superior styling, room; quiet, controlled and comfortable ride; outstanding performance, handling and tasteful luxury features of the 2011 Jaguar XJL, then they simply aren't into fine luxury sedans.
Frankly, most people today think driving around in a fancy truck, i.e., a Cadillac Escalade or Lincoln Navigator; or a cross-over, SUV, or manure hauling pick-up truck is cool. Even most of my fellow Corvette owners prefer a torque converter automatic to a manual transmission simply because they don't know how to drive the latter proficiently. So, I no longer try to impress anyone, but simply to enjoy what I enjoy. You might want to do the same.

Last edited by johndahlheimer; 09-25-2014 at 10:02 PM.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:31 AM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

My XJL came with the heated front wind shield. Can't stand it. The small electrical wires are actually visible and it drives me nuts. Fortunately this is my wife's daily driver and she doesn't seem to notice them.

If it were my daily driver I would have the windshield replaced. Actually called the dealer to ask how much that would be. He didn't know. He did tell me though that if you get a rock chip in these windshields you can't have them filled like a normal windshield. He said his wife's car has several and the replacement for it was expensive enough that he turned it into his insurance (or was going to).

At night time it's even worse as lights seem to have a "star" effect.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by johndahlheimer
Your research is correct. Probably he best way to impress your in-laws is simply to be a loving husband, and a considerate son-in-law. If they, or anyone else, aren't impressed with the superior styling, room; quiet, controlled and comfortable ride; outstanding performance, handling and tasteful luxury features of the 2011 Jaguar XJL, then they simply aren't into fine luxury sedans.
Frankly, most people today think driving around in a fancy truck, i.e., a Cadillac Escalade or Lincoln Navigator; or a cross-over, SUV, or manure hauling pick-up truck is cool. Even most of my fellow Corvette owners prefer a torque converter automatic to a manual transmission simply because they don't know how to drive the latter proficiently. So, I no longer try to impress anyone, but simply to enjoy what I enjoy. You might want to do the same.
Maybe I shouldn't have said "impress" them. To me it's more the enjoyment of providing good hospitality!

That being said, in our current Sonata, the aircon is so weak that in the summer, rear seat passengers end up sweating the whole ride!

Old 10-05-2014, 10:32 AM
Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Kjamo
My XJL came with the heated front wind shield. Can't stand it. The small electrical wires are actually visible and it drives me nuts. Fortunately this is my wife's daily driver and she doesn't seem to notice them.

If it were my daily driver I would have the windshield replaced. Actually called the dealer to ask how much that would be. He didn't know. He did tell me though that if you get a rock chip in these windshields you can't have them filled like a normal windshield. He said his wife's car has several and the replacement for it was expensive enough that he turned it into his insurance (or was going to).

It took me a couple of days, but now, I don't even see the "grid". Of course, if I concentrate my focus to "near", it's quite obvious. But just as quickly I can re-focus to my driving vision, which is further than the windshield. Possibly if you drove your wife's car a bit more often the effect might pass. Just a thought!
Luck
King Fala

Old 10-05-2014, 01:49 PM

Thanks for the suggestion King Fala. I have an astigmatism and wear glasses. I was thinking the "star" effect of lights could be because of that combined with the wires.

Cheers,
kjamo

Old 10-05-2014, 03:13 PM
Received 171 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Kjamo

I have heated screens on both Jaguars and my Ford work van as well, I have been driving vehicles with them for maybe 12 years now and would really miss them in the winter if they were not there.
I have had the heated one in my X350 repaired a few years ago and the repair guy made a great job of it so no mention over here about not being able to repair them.
I also think if you drove the car more often you may not notice the wires so much as well. Years ago when I had my first one I thought they were annoying but a couple of weeks down the line I was used to them. Best of luck.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:24 PM

Thanks for the feedback roviw. Have had the car a little over a month and as said, it's the wife's car so I'm rarely in it.

One option we didn't get (at least I don't think), the massage seats. If I was getting "massaged" while looking through the windshield, I suspect I'd care a little less!

Quick Reply: Options you wish you had gotten (or didn't get)