XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Parking aid and camera not available

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 11:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Default Parking aid and camera not available

Friend has 2011 XJ SC. He hit a large pothole and damaged some of the suspension on the right front. Minor damage to front bumper which Service K... took off to paint.
When he got the car he had the error message of "parking aid and camera not available" (and contact the dealer) and he has no camera showing.

This was not this way before going to the body shop who should be responsible for this.

Is it possible that when replacing the front bumper they did not connect or connect correctly one of the parking sensors and the error message is reflective of that, although the way I read the diagrams it should not affect the rear camera (I stand to be corrected). He gets the flashing LED of 6 flashes, but no 3 second error beep.

Any ideas or suggestions and do these systems interrelate in such a way that if one sensor in the front is out that it affects the rear camera?

Your help and suggestion are desired and thanks in advance.

Tom in Plano/Dallas

Old 01-31-2018, 12:30 AM
Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jazzwineman
Friend has 2011 XJ SC. He hit a large pothole and damaged some of the suspension on the right front. Minor damage to front bumper which Service K... took off to paint.
When he got the car he had the error message of "parking aid and camera not available" (and contact the dealer) and he has no camera showing.

This was not this way before going to the body shop who should be responsible for this.

Is it possible that when replacing the front bumper they did not connect or connect correctly one of the parking sensors and the error message is reflective of that, although the way I read the diagrams it should not affect the rear camera (I stand to be corrected). He gets the flashing LED of 6 flashes, but no 3 second error beep.

Any ideas or suggestions and do these systems interrelate in such a way that if one sensor in the front is out that it affects the rear camera?

Tom in Plano/Dallas
It's definetly the front bumper harness! 100%. It could be 2 things with it; on the driver side of the bumper near the headlight where the bumper connects to the upper body, there's a connector that connects the front bumper harness to the car. If that's NOT connected, you'll get that error. That's most likely it. Or if the bumper harness was replaced with an incorrect bumper harness. i.e a MY 2016 on up bumper harness on a 2011 model, you'll get that error as well. The harnesses look similar but they're incompatible triggering that error.

I did a facelift on my 2013 XJL and installed a 2016+ bumper. I used the 2016 front bumper harness and I received that same error message on the nav screen. As soon as it reinstalled my old harness, the error message went away.

The culprit is definitely the front bumper harness. The front bumper is very very easy to remove. You should be able to investigate this without a mechanic. It's about 5 screws underneath the car connecting the plastic under trays, 2 screws on both sides on the car near the headlights, and the 6 screws across the top when you pop the hood.

The following users liked this post:
brits r (05-10-2023)
Old 01-31-2018, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by ABrice
It's definetly the front bumper harness! 100%. It could be 2 things with it; on the driver side of the bumper near the headlight where the bumper connects to the upper body, there's a connector that connects the front bumper harness to the car. If that's NOT connected, you'll get that error. That's most likely it. Or if the bumper harness was replaced with an incorrect bumper harness. i.e a MY 2016 on up bumper harness on a 2011 model, you'll get that error as well. The harnesses look similar but they're incompatible triggering that error.

I did a facelift on my 2013 XJL and installed a 2016+ bumper. I used the 2016 front bumper harness and I received that same error message on the nav screen. As soon as it reinstalled my old harness, the error message went away.

The culprit is definitely the front bumper harness. The front bumper is very very easy to remove. You should be able to investigate this without a mechanic. It's about 5 screws underneath the car connecting the plastic under trays, 2 screws on both sides on the car near the headlights, and the 6 screws across the top when you pop the hood.

Thanks,although the interrelationship of these 2 systems seems one should not fail when the sensors do, but I did not design. I guess we could go back to Lucas- ha ha!

Thanks again.

Tom

The following users liked this post:
brits r (05-10-2023)
Old 11-04-2020, 06:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sensor

Originally Posted by jazzwineman

Tom in Plano/Dallas
it’s the painting of sensor probably