XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Parking Sensors Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 05:25 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Parking Sensors Question

Hi Guys:

Hope to be getting the XJ shortly.

When using the front parking sensors, do they become active automatically or do you have to turn them on with the overhead switch, each and every time you go into your garage?

Thanks - Roger

Old 06-16-2012, 06:10 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

You must manually activate the sensors each time when pulling into the garage. The sensors (both front and back) activate automatically when you put the car in reverse, but do not activate when driving forward.

The following users liked this post:
retriever-007 (10-22-2015)
Old 06-16-2012, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by another_geek
You must manually activate the sensors each time when pulling into the garage. The sensors (both front and back) activate automatically when you put the car in reverse, but do not activate when driving forward.
Thanks... It's no big deal but I thought Jag could have done better than this.

On my Volvo, the front and back sensors are always active (at low speed), unless you turn them off with the switch.

I'm concerned that, after being used to my Volvo, I will forget to activate the front sensor and hit the wall

I guess one gets used to remembering to switch them on!

Roger

Old 06-16-2012, 08:57 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

I'm not sure why jaguar made this design decision. All of my other cars are able to have the sensors active full time also, so not sure why jaguar is different.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:17 AM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Yes, this is cumbersome, but you get used to it. Not the most efficient design.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:51 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My experience is that the sensors are always on at low speed, unless you turn them off.

Brutal (06-20-2012)
Old 06-18-2012, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by speckhead
My experience is that the sensors are always on at low speed, unless you turn them off.

Well, this is what I was hoping. So who is right, you or the other respondents???

Thanks - Roger

Old 06-18-2012, 04:06 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

another_geek has it correct.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:41 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

When I pull into a garage parking space I must push the overhead park sensor button to activate the front sensors--they do not come on automatically at any low speed. They do appear to come on automatically along with the rear sensors when in reverse.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:48 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by HouTexJag
When I pull into a garage parking space I must push the overhead park sensor button to activate the front sensors--they do not come on automatically at any low speed. They do appear to come on automatically along with the rear sensors when in reverse.
...And they stay on in [D]rive after it comes out of reverse until the system deactivates at drive off.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:40 PM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Jaguar's reasoning for the front Park Aid operation does make sense, once you know the logic behind it. They elected to make the front sensors active anytime the rears were active as when parallel parking for instance. Back in and then they are active in the front to center up. The fronts remain active in drive until the car reaches about 7 MPH, I think. For any straight pull in parking, say a garage, they have the switch to activate the front sensors. When I questioned them about that, they responded that they elected to do it that way to prevent the spurious sounder operation in cases of going through cars washes and sitting at traffic lights where pedestrians in the crosswalk would also set it off.
They felt you turning it on when needed, made more sense than your having to cancel it at all the other instances where it was an aggravation.

I guess you'll have to decide which makes more sense to you. I think I'm with Jaguar on this one; it is, after all, a Parking Aid, not a collision avoidance system.

Cheers,

Last edited by xjrguy; 06-19-2012 at 10:44 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by xjrguy
Jaguar's reasoning for the front Park Aid operation does make sense, once you know the logic behind it. They elected to make the front sensors active anytime the rears were active as when parallel parking for instance. Back in and then they are active in the front to center up. The fronts remain active in drive until the car reaches about 7 MPH, I think. For any straight pull in parking, say a garage, they have the switch to activate the front sensors. When I questioned them about that, they responded that they elected to do it that way to prevent the spurious sounder operation in cases of going through cars washes and sitting at traffic lights where pedestrians in the crosswalk would also set it off.
They felt you turning it on when needed, made more sense than your having to cancel it at all the other instances where it was an aggravation.

I guess you'll have to decide which makes more sense to you. I think I'm with Jaguar on this one; it is, after all, a Parking Aid, not a collision avoidance system.

Cheers,
It works this way in my XKR.

I certainly classify unwanted contact with a wall in my garage or a cement curb as an unwanted collision. The front sensors are there to help prevent that.

Hmmm, if that was their reasoning it sounds a bit weird. They probably saved some money doing it the way they did - but that's just speculation.

Having it on at all times given certain rules (ie speed, traveling forward) and selectively deactivating the functionality for boundary conditions/exceptions is how most systems are designed. Having a system deactivated for its primary purpose is weird design logic.

But it is the way it is...

Old 06-20-2012, 09:49 AM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Theyre always on unless you turn them off and you have to turn them off each key cycle or shifter position change

Old 06-20-2012, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Brutal
Theyre always on unless you turn them off and you have to turn them off each key cycle or shifter position change
Well, that was true of the X350, but the X351, X250 and X150 do operate differently and rely more on driver request. They won't come back on when the speed drops like the X350 did. See the attachments. Since we were here in the X351 Forum, I didn't throw that in........probably should have.

rscultho, your point is well taken, but as you said, it is what it is.

Cheers,

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
X350 Parking Aid Operation.pdf (21.4 KB, 400 views)
File Type: pdf
X351 Park Aid.pdf (252.2 KB, 484 views)

Last edited by xjrguy; 06-20-2012 at 10:46 AM.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:03 AM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Oops there i go again not looking at the forum im in

Old 06-22-2012, 12:44 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Just the other day I backed up slightly in a parking lot and then my passenger walked in front of my car. Wow. Scared the hell out of me. They are very sensitive.

IMHO, I like pushing the button coming in the garage. Adds to my Batman like fantasies. Oh for the day of toggle switches. LOL

Old 06-22-2012, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dochands
Just the other day I backed up slightly in a parking lot and then my passenger walked in front of my car. Wow. Scared the hell out of me. They are very sensitive.

IMHO, I like pushing the button coming in the garage. Adds to my Batman like fantasies. Oh for the day of toggle switches. LOL

Heh, Heh! Batteries to power...... turbines to speed! Yes??

Old 06-23-2012, 10:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the parking system is too slow before it operates.
It takes too long, even manually started it take 3-4 seconds before
it works.
And adjustment of tone should be customised, that i can choose rear nad front volume seperatly.
Jaguar should take a look at Audi or Panamera, they have better
solutions and smoother sound!

Uwe

Old 10-22-2015, 11:09 AM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi Guys, BIG headache, in all the manuals I have looked at show the wiring loom for the rear sensors disappear through the boot frame,?? well in my XJ8 350 2004 it goes from the module along the boot interior frame, and just disappears into the main loom?
according to all the info I have front and rear, 8 channel module, please please help! my local Jaguar techie had his head scratching also. thank you in advance, this forum is better than 10 engineering manuals, before I bought it it looks as though it has new rear bumper but no sensors put back so I am trying to get it back to the way she should be.

Old 10-22-2015, 05:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 362 Posts

Hi Lukie,

On a 2004MY X350 the rear parking sensors are connected to the rear bumper harness. That harness is connected to the body/cabin harness which then connects to the parking aid module. The bundle of cables you describe is the latter bit.

I have attached the relavent pages from the workshop manual, and the electrical schematic for the parking aid system.

Connector BR1 is the connection between the rear bumper and cabin harnesses. The workshop manual shows that a rubber gasket where a harness passes through the rear quarter panel needs to be removed in order to remove the bumper cover, so it appears BR1 may be inside the boot (although I suspect it may be under the cover on the outside of the vehicle under the bumper cover).

If you can explain what it is you are trying to achieve I can try and walk you through it. It is not clear if you are intending to replace the bumper cover with one with the sensors fitted, or that your current bumper has the sensors but you believe they are not connected to the cabin harness (maybe the bumper harness was replaced at some point with an incorrect version). Does the vehicle have front sensors? Was the vehicle originally fitted with front and rear, only rear, or no sensors at all? (If you send me a private message with the last six digits of the VIN I can look up the original spec for you if you do not know it.)

lukie (10-23-2015)

Quick Reply: Parking Sensors Question