XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Phones - XJ compatibility list - please contribute

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 01:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Phones - XJ compatibility list - please contribute

Hi everyone,

I just "upgraded" my Verizon Blackberry 9630 Tour, which paired and connected via bluetooth perfectly with the Jag, to a Verizon Droid 2 Global (an Android phone), which will pair OK, and will connect the audio streaming part but not the phone part. Really frustrating, and I know billions of people all over suffer similar problems with different cars and phones. This is a deal breaker for me and I'll have to replace the phone if I can't find a solution. As I write this it occurs to me it will be useful for all us new XJ owners to share experiences with success/lack of success with different phones.

I'll start, and maybe we can compile an ongoing list:

Carrier - Phone - Unit pairs? - Phone connects? - Audio connects?

Verizon - Blackberry Tour 9630- Yes -Yes - Yes (I think, but never used)
Verizon - Motorola Droid 2 Global - Yes - Yes - Yes (streams audio perfectly)

(Update: I got the Droid to connect the phone, but it wont do it automatically when I get in the car...need to request the connection from the phone handset. I figured out how to get it to connect automatically)

Last edited by Ngregson; 12-04-2010 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Updated
Old 12-03-2010, 10:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ngregson
Hi everyone,

I just "upgraded" my Verizon Blackberry 9630 Tour, which paired and connected via bluetooth perfectly with the Jag, to a Verizon Droid 2 Global (an Android phone), which will pair OK, and will connect the audio streaming part but not the phone part. Really frustrating, and I know billions of people all over suffer similar problems with different cars and phones. This is a deal breaker for me and I'll have to replace the phone if I can't find a solution. As I write this it occurs to me it will be useful for all us new XJ owners to share experiences with success/lack of success with different phones.

I'll start, and maybe we can compile an ongoing list:

Carrier - Phone - Unit pairs? - Phone connects? - Audio connects?

Verizon - Blackberry Tour 9630- Yes -Yes - Yes (I think, but never used)
Verizon - Motorola Droid 2 Global - Yes - No - Yes (streams audio perfectly)
AT&T - Blackberry 8900 - Yes - Yes - NA

Old 12-04-2010, 05:54 AM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

www.jaguar.com. Will tell you if you punch in you vin, which phones are compatible and how much they are compatible. some phones are only partially compatible. Like for example, some phones will connect and pair, but will not download your phonebook.

Old 12-04-2010, 07:30 AM

Hi JagLover922. Yes, I looked at that, but it seems a hopelessly sparse list and is probably quite out of date. My understanding is that the list contains phones that Jaguar themselves have tested, but there are plenty of other "non-Jag tested' phones that will work.

With the plethora of new phones and software updates coming out almost daily, they will never be able to keep up, and I thought we could at least try and supplement it with our personal experiences here.

BTW, I did finally get my Droid 2 Global to connect the phone, but am still frustrated that it doesn't connect automatically when I get in the car (unlike with my Blackberry). The Jag "searching for the phone" thing doesn't work, and I need to manually connect from the handset side.

Old 12-04-2010, 07:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your experience with that particular phone. Interestingly, my Great Britains sales rep warned me in response to my inquiry that the Droid models do not "play well" with this car, and that buyers had reported problems.

As a result, I purchased an IPhone 4, which seems to work extremely well in the car:

AT&T - IPhone 4 - Yes - Yes- Yes

Old 12-04-2010, 11:45 AM

Jaglover922,

I researched through the link you posted and found a much more comprehensive Jag car/phone compatibility site than the one I saw before. So thanks for that and apologies if my first response was a bit dismissive.

Nigel

Old 12-04-2010, 01:24 PM
Smile Hooray!

I finally figured out how to get the Droid 2 Global to automatically accept the connection request from the Jag XJ when you get in the car. When the car starts its search, on the phone there is this tiny notification at the top of the screen "Phonebook Access Request" which appears and disappears in a flash. When it appears you have to drag the bar all the way down, and there is a Yes/No button, and a tickbox to allow this to happen automatically. It was only through some major detective work that I found this out(!)

BTW, I did not have this issue when connecting with my wife's 2008 BMW 535....it just connected without showing that "Phonebook Access Request" on the Droid, so it must be something to do with the Jag's bluetooth implementation.

Anyway, I'm sure this is of little interest to most people, but it provides a "google-able" reference for future people trying to figure out how to connect Droids to Jags.

Old 12-04-2010, 03:14 PM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default phone

Originally Posted by Ngregson
Hi JagLover922. Yes, I looked at that, but it seems a hopelessly sparse list and is probably quite out of date. My understanding is that the list contains phones that Jaguar themselves have tested, but there are plenty of other "non-Jag tested' phones that will work.

With the plethora of new phones and software updates coming out almost daily, they will never be able to keep up, and I thought we could at least try and supplement it with our personal experiences here.

BTW, I did finally get my Droid 2 Global to connect the phone, but am still frustrated that it doesn't connect automatically when I get in the car (unlike with my Blackberry). The Jag "searching for the phone" thing doesn't work, and I need to manually connect from the handset side.
Does your Droid ask you: Don't ask me this again? when pairing. I know Blackberry's do that. What I'm saying is that when you pair your droid, it will say: YES to comfirm pairing. Are you able to scroll down and see anything that says: Don't ask me this again. If so, if you select that on your Droid, you shouldn't have to pair it everytime you cycle the "key". I have a EVO HTC ,and mine doesn't ask me that, so I don't know if your Droid does too.

Old 12-04-2010, 04:04 PM

Blackberry 8630 seems to work ok BUT not phonebook !! That su--s. Also, can't seem to get it to find/pair with an Iphone 3GS

Old 12-04-2010, 07:17 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Motorola Moto W755 - yes - yes - N/A

Not a smart phone. Also had to pair using the handset mode. Once paired, had to set the incoming security on the phone for the "Jaguar XJ" device to "automatic" to automatically pair when I get in the car. The phonebook downloaded when I first paired and downloads an update each time it re-pairs.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:12 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Recently switched from a samsung blackjack to the new Ipod 4. the blackjack would not download my phone book for the Ipod synched quickly and also downloaded all my contacts. working great.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:46 AM

Iphone now works -took a few tries for some reason.

Is anyone using a 9630 ? The phone works but no phonebook download

Old 12-27-2010, 11:49 AM
Default Update: Droid no good with Jag....got an iPhone 4 instead

Hi all,

As per the title, i thought I had the Droid working with the Jag OK, but the sound quality was poor, and the address book would not upload properly. T cut to the chase, I switched to AT&T and got an iPhone 4...everyhng works perfectly.

Nigel

Old 12-27-2010, 10:10 PM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Blackberry Bold

...works perfectly. All, incl. phonebook (I got 2000 contacts) and music ect.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:09 AM

My Blackberry 9630 with address book works fine NOW - the issue was with outdated blackberry software - once I updated the phone to he latest OS, all worked fine

Note: once you update your phone software, you MUST delete the pairing connection and start over otherwise the car uses the same info it already has.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solution for Android 2.2.1 Connecting to 2011 Jag XJ

I have a samsung epic (Galaxy S)

Samsung's Android phones with Android 2.2.1 have a major connectivity issue with most manufacture's car kits including ford, audi, MB and subaru. Add Jaguar to the list

The problem is when you allow access of the car to control the contacts of the phone. This results in the phone disconnecting and the calls being dropped

A temporary solution that I noted on the web but works well

1) Pair the phone from Jag
2) Do not check the allow Jaguar to access contacts on the phone screen
3) Then go into the phone and hit connect from the phone
4) Ignore the request to access contacts

Everytime you enter the car you need to go into the phone panel and shut off its scan for the phone

then go to the phone hit connect by clicking its bluetooth profile. sometimes this needs to be done twice in a row

the car then connects. again ignore the request to access contacts

works great then
no more drops
allows access to the music also

Samsung is aware of this and this will be fixed in 2.3 when it comes out this summer

Btw

these issues did not exist for 2.1 or earlier 2.2 versions of android that I used

Old 06-14-2011, 12:07 PM

Thanks Neuron for a great post. Ive been fighting with my android phone (At&T Infuse) with 2.2.1 version. I couldn't work out what was wrong, sometimes it worked, somtimes it didn't. The phone book never did work correctly. I wasn't sure if it was the car of the phone. I got my dealer to let me try the phone on a new XJL on their lot. Same problem.

I got this phone to replace a version 2.1 android (AT&T captivate) which connected ok, and had the phonebook, but the list was not organized. Sadly this phone went airborne in the depths of Space Mountain.

The 2.2.1 version does work well in the Ford Sync (2012 Focus), so I was not convinced the problem was with the phone. Hopefully the Samsung upgrade will fix the problem.

Thanks again for the post.

P.S. If anyone from Jaguar read these posts, go and look at the Ford Sync. It's how a touch screen should work. Very responsive, reacts immediatly to a user, is intuitive, well organized with color themed screens, has a better resolution, and the car was one quarter of the price of my XJL. It has a slick way to get upgrades. You simple download off of the web to a memory stick, plug the stick into the usb port on the car, and "voila" instant upgrade. Kinda wish Ford still ran Jaguar.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:55 AM
Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Carrier = AT&T
Phone = LG 800G
Unit Pairs = Yes, but still have to manually "accept connection" on phone everytime, even with phone settings on "automatically accept connection"
Phone Connects = Yes
Audio Connects = Yes, playback is fine but no artist, album, song title, etc. information displayed.

Last edited by MDabney; 06-16-2011 at 08:02 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:18 PM
Default Samsung galaxy s and jag 2011

with my sprint samsung galaxy epic updated phone to gingerbread 2.3.3.

as per this link
Gingerbread Android 2.3.3 EF02: Step-by-step Upgrade/Update On your Samsung Epic 4G phone. | Gingerbread for your Android Phone

the software has not been released yet in the US

Works much better than froyo did with car

bluetooth connection works consistently

but still need to connect from phone. When starting the car. In blueooth settings simply hit connect

Music on phone and phone work via bluetooth

also uploading the phonebook crashes the phone but my phonebook had 6000 contacts in it and may not be representative of smaller phonebooks

overall works very well

Quick Reply: Phones - XJ compatibility list - please contribute