XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Phones - XJ compatibility list - please contribute

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 09:14 PM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Ngregson
Hi everyone,

I just "upgraded" my Verizon Blackberry 9630 Tour, which paired and connected via bluetooth perfectly with the Jag, to a Verizon Droid 2 Global (an Android phone), which will pair OK, and will connect the audio streaming part but not the phone part. Really frustrating, and I know billions of people all over suffer similar problems with different cars and phones. This is a deal breaker for me and I'll have to replace the phone if I can't find a solution. As I write this it occurs to me it will be useful for all us new XJ owners to share experiences with success/lack of success with different phones.

I'll start, and maybe we can compile an ongoing list:

Carrier - Phone - Unit pairs? - Phone connects? - Audio connects?

Verizon - Blackberry Tour 9630- Yes -Yes - Yes (I think, but never used)
Verizon - Motorola Droid 2 Global - Yes - Yes - Yes (streams audio perfectly)

(Update: I got the Droid to connect the phone, but it wont do it automatically when I get in the car...need to request the connection from the phone handset. I figured out how to get it to connect automatically)
I just got a samsung galaxy s2 android. Doesnt vonnect automatically either. How did you get that to work? I tried everything i could think of. Please share. At the end of my rope. My blackberry worked perfectly. Please help.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:46 AM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

I have a Droid 3... I can only get the phone to connect, not the audio (extremely frustrating). My Droid connects automatically though and I looked in the settings, I cannot find a 'connect automatically' feature. My Ipad2 3g connects via audio/BT no problem, but will often times, disconnect itself and I have to then 'reconnect'. It's a PITA but the only way I can listen to Pandora on long trips.

Waiting for the new Droid Razr to come out - will see if that works any better once it's in my hands.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by New2Jag
I have a Droid 3... I can only get the phone to connect, not the audio (extremely frustrating). My Droid connects automatically though and I looked in the settings, I cannot find a 'connect automatically' feature. My Ipad2 3g connects via audio/BT no problem, but will often times, disconnect itself and I have to then 'reconnect'. It's a PITA but the only way I can listen to Pandora on long trips.

Waiting for the new Droid Razr to come out - will see if that works any better once it's in my hands.
Well, my audio connects though at low volume which can be rectified with a variety of apps. My big beef is that I can't auto connect. The jaguar bluetooth connectivity site lists a lot of dated phones but not a lot of the latest ones. The site can be found here: Jaguar Bluetooth Connectivity Centre

Old 10-24-2011, 06:28 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Huh that's strange?

According to a recent post by CHUCK08XJR "Android works great"

Old 10-24-2011, 11:47 PM
Smile Bluetooth Samsung Android Auto Connect FIXED :)

...but not without some major in depth research and tweaking on the Android. Here is what I found.
Every Android phone runs things a bit different. Especially bluetooth. And Samsung seems to have its own (not very compatible) approach for bluetooth. I finally figured out how to tweak it so the auto connect and every thing else works in the 2011 Jaguar XJ. I posted the solution in the XDA Developer Forum under my nickname "metalco". Here is the link:
[Q] Bluetooth in car auto connect issue, major anoyance for many - Page 2 - xda-developers

Also here the solution. I believe your phone must be rooted. A bit phone software tinkering attitude is also needed. But there is plenty of help and experts out there who can help you root your phone.

Problem solved, read on:
This seems to apply to a variety of other vehicles, namely Jaguar, Mercedes, Audi, some BMW, Nissan and Subaru.

You can get your phone bluetooth auto connect to your vehicle by trying the following:

Attention, I believe this works for rooted phones only.

Get a app such as Titanium Backup Pro or MyToolbox.
under System Apps freeze "Bluetooth Share".

Now my phone automatically connects to my Jaguar XJ and all features seem to work. Having gotten around to check the phonebook yet. But all recent number log show and all seems to work.

Attention: I believe that may only work for rooted phones.

Now I am working on getting the Siri like VLingo voice recognition to listen to the car's microphone. (As of now, that is not working. )

Old 10-25-2011, 10:49 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gears
I just got a samsung galaxy s2 android. Doesnt vonnect automatically either. How did you get that to work? I tried everything i could think of. Please share. At the end of my rope. My blackberry worked perfectly. Please help.
Had the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 for a while also (back to IP4S). It did take a few tries to connect it up and stay connected (auto also). I remember having to connect via "handset" on the initial sync and not the regular way by car finding the phone. Try letting the phone find the car.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok traded my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S in and got the new Sprint Galaxy SII (epic 4g touch)

It rocks and works very well with the XJ 2011

Connecting took a second (initiated from the car) and have not had any problems

Caller ID on the car is showing number but not names

Phonebook loaded fine but I have 3000 contacts and the first 2000 or so are showing

Autoconnects every time

once i turned on the bluetooth of the phone 10 minutes after the car started. Then I had to connect manually (I did from the phone)

Of note the phone has Bluetooth 3.0

People are saying my calls are much more clear also the connection holds up in bad cell zones unlike the original Galaxy S running 2.2.1

I now believe the prior problems related to the older bluetooth iteration on the phone, not the Jaguar

Old 11-01-2011, 05:48 PM
Default more info

btw the phone is running gingerbread 2.3.4

Old 11-01-2011, 10:57 PM
Default Dumbfounded

Originally Posted by Neuron
Ok traded my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S in and got the new Sprint Galaxy SII (epic 4g touch)

It rocks and works very well with the XJ 2011

Connecting took a second (initiated from the car) and have not had any problems

Caller ID on the car is showing number but not names

Phonebook loaded fine but I have 3000 contacts and the first 2000 or so are showing

Autoconnects every time

once i turned on the bluetooth of the phone 10 minutes after the car started. Then I had to connect manually (I did from the phone)

Of note the phone has Bluetooth 3.0

People are saying my calls are much more clear also the connection holds up in bad cell zones unlike the original Galaxy S running 2.2.1

I now believe the prior problems related to the older bluetooth iteration on the phone, not the Jaguar
So, you got the Galaxy S2? The AT&T version which is the i777? Oh, now I see it. You got the Sprint version. You got a 2011 XJ. So do I. BUT my phone did NOT autoconnect no matter what I tried until I rooted it and used a tool to freeze a blue tooth module. So you say yours just connected right out of the box? Not fair lol. So the SPrint version runs the same Gingerbread version as my AT&T GSM model yet our bluetooth stack must be different.
I love the phone and it now works GREAT with my car. I even made myself a custom dock which fits into the cupholder in the center and I can just slide open the cupholder slide cover and stick my phone in. Goes to car mode and I can actually speak text and emails into it. Works every time. Phonebook works, too, but I always use voice feature anyways. And yes, reception and clarity are simply great.

Just, so you simply got it out of the box and connected? Connects automatically every time? Wow what is differnt on SPrint's Gingerbread then on AT&T's?

Last edited by gears; 11-01-2011 at 11:00 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:43 AM

2008 XKR, also downloads phonebook

Carrier - Phone - Unit pairs? - Phone connects? - Audio connects?

Vodafone, Blackberry 9860, Yes, Yes, NO

Old 01-03-2012, 09:37 PM

Droid x works. When you ask to connect the phone a message pops up at the top of the phone asking to access the phone directory. You need to allow it to access the directory. Once you say yes once it will connect all the time. You can miss the message unless you pay attention to it scrolling at the top

Old 02-24-2012, 05:55 PM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Not to keep reviving an old post. But I had my Droid 3 replaced today and all of the sudden, BT audio works fine. I never thought about replacing the phone to try and fix the issue, I always thought it was Android and my phone build. Just a thought if you have a phone that doesn't work properly - try a different phone (same model).

Old 02-24-2013, 08:26 PM

http://www.jaguar.com/gl/en/owner_support/bluetooth

Just follow the directions. It has helped me out a lot, hope it does the same for all of you.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:46 AM
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

EE - iPhone5 - yes - yes - yes

iPhone 5 behaves itself pretty well with the car. It generally auto-connects (maybe 1 time in 20 I have to 'kick' the Bluetooth module on the phone). All the contacts work, and it'll stream music over Bluetooth. I do find though that if the phone is in my door-side trouser pocket, I can get streaming cut-outs. So if I'm going to listen to the music on the phone I tend to put the phone in the cupholders, where the signal is perfect.

I don't know if the bandwidth of Bluetooth streaming is limited though. All my music is encoded using the Apple Lossless encoder, and I find that tracks played via the iPod connector in the centre armrest are of higher quality than when Bluetoothed to the stereo.

Old 12-23-2013, 07:36 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default HTC One (Google Edition)

HTC One Google Edition (unlocked Developer edition)

Works flawlessly. Handsfree, and A2DP audio streaming, phone book, etc.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:19 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Samsung S3 works perfectly on the 2011 XJL system

Everything works including the Contact list. When you use the hands free version it even understands very well my voice whether I use the system inb French or English. Much better than the system I had on my previous 745, but then it was a much older car (2002).