XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Picking up my new XJ this weekend - Warranty Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 10:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picking up my new XJ this weekend - Warranty Questions

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the great feedback on the XJ / XJL comparison. I have decided to go with the base XJ in Stratus Gray, complete with the Portfolio package. I'm extremely excited to pick it up this weekend, but I wanted to ask some questions about the wheel and tire protection package that my dealer has already briefly mentioned. I was quoted a price around $1,300, which I immediately think is too high.

My questions are:

1. Is this warranty worth the money? (I definitely think it is)

2. Is $1,300 too high to pay for this? If it is, can I negotiate the price any?

3. Can I purchase this warranty at any other Jaguar dealership after I drive the new car off the lot?

Thank you in advance for all of the help.

Malone

Old 09-26-2013, 12:46 PM
XJL
Received 142 Likes on 109 Posts

I would not pay for "wheel and tire protection." Your tires already have a warranty supported by the company who made them. All Jaguars come with a quality tire so I don't feel that would be an issue. The rims are covered under the 4year/50K Jaguar warranty for any defects.

What exactly are the terms of this wheel and tire protection? I've never heard of this before.

BTW, EVERYTHING at the dealer is negotiable. Never pay full price for anything.

The following users liked this post:
Stuart Beattie (09-26-2013)
Old 09-26-2013, 01:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,949 Posts

It may be a wheel damage insurance policy, as the word "protection" is used; I doubt it is a warranty on manufacture. Large diameter wheels with low profile tyres are very prone to damage from potholes. However you need to know what is covered and what is not.

Old 09-26-2013, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts

Hi Malone,

I am not sure of the RULES and regulations on your side of the pond.

But I would recommend you seek out and investigate GAP insurance which entails if the car is written off or stolen, you will still claim on

your normal insurance and the GAP will restore the difference in the valuation price relating to the full new price you paid and the value

at the time of the "incident". i cannot recommend enough that you enquire about this.

For instance, you buy the car at $40,000 and 2 years later the value is $25,000.

After the sad event, you claim todays value (for the future date, $25,000), and launch another claim on the GAP.

After investigation and how clear cut the evidence is, GAP pay the diference.

It is expensive and in the UK, it may cost say £800 and is a one-off payment, so don't lose the documents!!

Add to this the reassurance this kind of policy gives it is worth it in worst case scenario, which happened to me!

I walked away with nearly the same amount I paid after the sad incident and I then went and bought my next X Type..

There also other types of GAP insurance like mechanical warranties and they can work out better than a manufacturers warranty but I wouldn't hold back, the GAP makes your insurance almost Bullet-Proof and it worked for me!

If I hadn't I would have struggled to afford the next car I purchased.

And on the side if you do buy the new car, haggle and get a paint treatment like Pureguard or to throw in anything you want, you are showing off their latest model so whether it's an umbrella, a key-ring, a baseball cap or a JAGUAR mug or an upgrade of your choice go for it!!

If you live once DRIVE A JAGUAR!!!

You are a privileged man so enjoy it and make the most of it!!

Best of all, Good Luck and please keep us posted, Cheers, Stu

Last edited by Stuart Beattie; 09-26-2013 at 01:53 PM. Reason: spelling sorry :)
Old 09-26-2013, 03:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Malone
My questions are:

1. Is this warranty worth the money? (I definitely think it is)

2. Is $1,300 too high to pay for this? If it is, can I negotiate the price any?

3. Can I purchase this warranty at any other Jaguar dealership after I drive the new car off the lot?

Thank you in advance for all of the help.

Malone
The tire/wheel protection covers ANY type of damage to the wheels/tires. If you hit a pot hole and blow a tire, they will just replace it for free or if you bent a wheel - again they will replace it with no questions.

Bent rims and blown tires are becoming a normal service procedure as the diameter of wheels increase.

I recently had to have one of my tires replaced due to a bubble in the sidewall, because I hit a pot hole. It cost $350 just for that - balance included. (I did not opt in for the protection)

It's up to you....really comes down to how long will you have the car for, the quality of the tarmac around you and lastly how observant you are. As you will have to pay closer attention to the road and look for imperfections.

EIDT: You can always purchase it later too, if you don't want to spend the money now.

Last edited by Executive; 09-26-2013 at 03:09 PM.