XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Popping, rattles and squeaks my brand new xjl

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 02:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Popping, rattles and squeaks my brand new xjl

I am so upset, I purchased this vehicle, it has nothing but squeaks, rattles and the roof is popping discovered on the way home from the dealer the day I made the purchase. The dealer has attempted to make repairs and they didn't work. I have been in touch with Jaguar and they want me to bring it back to attempt repairs again it's a 120 mile trip for me. I have always had Mercedes and BMW's, I was warned not to get a Jag but I didn't listen. I wish I would have known about this site I would have never gotten this vehicle

Old 04-01-2011, 02:57 PM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I know this might be a long shot for you but I would see if the dealer can tow it to the dealer. The dealer should call an "FST" to come fix it. FST= Field Service Technician from Jaguar North America. It's a long shot about the towing, but it's worth a shot.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:05 PM

I was told by the corperate office to drive it to the dealer Monday and the rep is supposed to be there, I have offered to buy another car I don't think a vehicle with 500 miles should sound like a Mack truck. I am willing to do anything to get out of this car!!! I was told the first fix was done according to Jaguar's bulletin and that didn't stop the popping sounds. For the door rattles the Tech said he could wrap the clins with teflon tape and see if that will stop the rattles

Old 04-01-2011, 03:21 PM

I have never purchased a vehicle at this price point with these kind of issues, it's very disappointing. for anyone that is wondering my vin is in the 14's

Old 04-01-2011, 03:38 PM

Forgot to mention DVD player doesn't work

Old 04-01-2011, 07:08 PM
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

@cbras9 there are a quite a few other post on here about the rattles and pops from the headliner.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...r-48349/page2/

i posted in detail many common noises and where they are coming from. And the step you should take with your dealer to be sure your noises are fixed.

when you say you vin is in the 14's do you mean 1400?

@jaglover922 the FSE usually doens't actually fix the car he is just there to aid the tech to fix it the proper way.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:18 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Not to be an ***, but didn't you drive the car before you bought it? I don't mean the 2 mile test loop a dealer takes you on. I mean take it out and drive it. Hell, when I bought my Honda I took it on an hour long drive over all sorts of roads before I signed anything and we are taking a $24k vehicle.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:53 AM

Of course I drove it however the poping didn't start until I drove into my driveway. If you read the other post the poppping only happens when you go on a incline. The noises are coming from the left and right front door and weren't noticed during the test drive. I drove the vehicle home on I10 and thats when I heard the door noise. I called the dealer when I arrived at my house. The Vin is 14548

Old 04-02-2011, 09:01 AM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

All of these problems can be fixed if you have a dealer with a competent technician. That's the biggest issue. Don't get discouraged yet--you will love this car after the noises are gone.

Old 04-02-2011, 02:47 PM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

The FSE that I deal with actually does fix it, depending on what it is.
I think your taking what I said to literally. Of course he or she will work with the tech to fix the car. Excuse me for not being technicial with you.

Originally Posted by austinmartus
@cbras9 there are a quite a few other post on here about the rattles and pops from the headliner.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...r-48349/page2/

i posted in detail many common noises and where they are coming from. And the step you should take with your dealer to be sure your noises are fixed.

when you say you vin is in the 14's do you mean 1400?

@jaglover922 the FSE usually doens't actually fix the car he is just there to aid the tech to fix it the proper way.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:16 AM

It's been in the shop now for 3 days, they must be doing something to it. I told the dealer I want to trade it in, I am so disgusted with the problems. They are trying to locate me a vehicle now with a higher Vin, I know I am going to take a beating on this.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:32 AM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I think you are over reacting and jumping the gun just a bit. Wait until you get the car back and go from there.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:48 PM

Sorry when I spend $84000 for a car I do overreact

Old 04-06-2011, 02:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

When dealing with cars, you need to keep emotions out of it. Yes, things go wrong and **** you off. But you can't let that affect your judgment. Exhaust all options to have the vehicle fixed before you trade it in--you are going to lose $5-10k on that transaction if you do end up trading in.

$84k is a lot of money to spend on a car, but it cannot guarantee that you will be free of problems. What you should be able to expect, however, is a higher level of care by your service department, and if you aren't getting that from the dealership you're going to now, I would contact Jaguar North America again and tell them what's going on. I have had pretty good help from them in the past.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:42 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by cbras9
It's been in the shop now for 3 days, they must be doing something to it. I told the dealer I want to trade it in, I am so disgusted with the problems. They are trying to locate me a vehicle now with a higher Vin, I know I am going to take a beating on this.
My dealer had my car for 3 weeks when they got everything fixed (my VIN is in the 7,000's--some of these issues should have been resolved at the factory with your 14,000's VIN, so it shouldn't take that long). These cars had a number of "first year car" issues, but it appears that Jaguar has a handle on this and can make it right. Hopefully your dealer is capable of doing all of the required TSB's to make your car perfect.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:50 PM

Just spoke with service Dept The Tech is unable at this point and time to find what is causing the popping sound. But he is still trying and is keeping the car a couple of more days to try to find out what is wrong. He thinks he may have fixed the door noises. I will keep everyone posted

Last edited by cbras9; 04-06-2011 at 04:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
amcdonal86 (04-06-2011)
Old 04-06-2011, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for keeping us posted!

Old 04-25-2011, 09:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pop, pop, pop, rattle, pop, rattle

I'm having the same problem with noises in my 2011 XJL.
I have driven and owned some of the most acclaimed automobiles on the market. For about two weeks, I loved the spirit, spunk, and vigor of my 2011 XJL. Unfortunately, my enjoyment of the vehicle has been overcome by the myriad of pops, squeaks, and rattles which now emanate from every corner of the interior.

On my third trip, in as many weeks, to the dealer for 'rattle control', the service supervisor at Autobahn Jaguar in Fort Worth, told me that I'm a "bit more sensitive" to interior noises than most. He also informed me that they will only address the issues during my first 12 months of ownership. I assured him that I'll not be driving this car for 12 months if they don't resolve the problems.

My first reaction to the automobile was that it's too "plastic-y" for a $96,000 (my out-the-door price) car. I allowed the amazing handling to cloud my judgement, and purchased the vehicle anyway. I should have listened to my gut - too bad it was so much quieter than the rattles, pops, and squeaks to which I now have to listen.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:13 AM
Default I am sorry to hear another owner got the shaft

I ended up trading mine, it had 700 miles on it, in on a supercharged. I lost my butt off on the deal but this one has no more issues as I got a very high vin number. I was also told the supercharged is built with more bracing and this ended the roof noise.

Last edited by cbras9; 04-26-2011 at 07:16 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:33 PM
Veteran Member

You are a glutton for punishment, eh?

Congrats!

Quick Reply: Popping, rattles and squeaks my brand new xjl