XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Popping, rattles and squeaks my brand new xjl

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 12:57 PM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jcamp
i used to think it was weather related. At 800 mi on my replacement car it started to pop in very humid rainy days. I brought it in they did the fix , it came back with a veangence. It pops every day, every bump, twist and incline. I am fed up. waiting for the new Kit they promised will fix it in mid Oct.
Good luck to all I hope they fix.
Same here. I was not as much complaining as I was "discussing" in the past. No I am complaining. Twist, rattle, pop, . If it would be a "once a week pop" or so, I would say fine. But every pump, every twist there is noises coming from the roof.
Was good for a while. No all back.

Old 09-23-2011, 04:03 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gears
Well, mine started up again, too. In 3 different spots. I identified some. Front is a binding metal pop kind of thing, center is some rattling in connection to the roof shades as it only happens with shades open. And back is some clips issues of the roof liner (which I just stiffed some foam into and made it go away that way.
Worse is, that my dealer no claimed they heard no noises at all. They are starting to waste my time. They are asking me to come in (again) and drive around to show them the noises. I will.
Not sure how much weather has to do with it. I am sure it does to some point. But That alone isn't it. I am in Chicago and it is much cooler these days. My love for the car is going away as I am no getting ticked off and really annoyed. So far I was fair, working with them and for sure never resorted to badmouthing the entire car. But, sorry, I am getting ticked off now.

Call Jag NA and complain about dealer they will call dealer for you and assist you.

Old 09-23-2011, 04:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got the "waste of time" at the dealer too. They told me "we can't hear anything" and had my car for 3 days, fixed nothing (didn't even look at the roof because they "couldn't hear anything"). Well, they must be deaf, I didn't make it out of their driveway before it started rattling/ticking again. I'm going to have them order the new "kit" and wait for that before I go back. This time I'm going to take them for a ride in the car (last time "We know what it is, no need for a drive", even after I told them it's not the popping sound, it's a rattle) and make sure they can hear it. It's not loud, but it's pretty much constant, and shouldn't sound like it does.

I just don't get these dealers sometimes; you'd have to be deaf (honestly deaf) to not hear the noise, any normal person, once they are in the car and I make it quiet, can immediately pick out the noise. What, are all the techs they had drive the car also totally without the ability to distinguish sounds in a vehicle?

Originally Posted by gears
Well, mine started up again, too. In 3 different spots. I identified some. Front is a binding metal pop kind of thing, center is some rattling in connection to the roof shades as it only happens with shades open. And back is some clips issues of the roof liner (which I just stiffed some foam into and made it go away that way.
Worse is, that my dealer no claimed they heard no noises at all. They are starting to waste my time. They are asking me to come in (again) and drive around to show them the noises. I will.
Not sure how much weather has to do with it. I am sure it does to some point. But That alone isn't it. I am in Chicago and it is much cooler these days. My love for the car is going away as I am no getting ticked off and really annoyed. So far I was fair, working with them and for sure never resorted to badmouthing the entire car. But, sorry, I am getting ticked off now.