XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Popping, rattles and squeaks my brand new xjl

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 01:05 PM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Roof Popping and Rattle

I had that, too. And I was worried at first. BUT....if you got a dealer with well trained tech it shouldn't be a problem.
By now Jaguar published the fixes in detail. But the techs have to exactly follow the instructions.
I.e. they fixed mine. It lasted for a while. The popping came back. Turns out Jaguar added a minor thing to do, which is scraping out paint from a joint which made it stick and a terrible noise. Miniscule cause, major annoyance. But it took Jaguar some time to figure it all out. Now they have.
I didn't have a single unpleasant noise since. That is what I got for being an early adopter. But I new that. Still didn't want to wait. ANd I love the car.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have hi vin 15,000 car now the creaking noise is starting to come back only on inclines when I pull in a driveway,
I hope the other popping noise doesn't come back, and the other issues?

Old 05-11-2011, 06:57 PM

this is my 2nd XJ they gave me it after all the issues on the first low vin car only 800 miles on it vin is hi 15,000 and the popping is coming back. they told me all the fixes were done at factory. I'm pissed.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:21 PM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

There is a fix for the poping noise. Forget the crappy bullentin Jaguar put out. What I've been doing to the cars is loosing up the sunroof frame bolts a 1/4 of a turn and the poping and knocking noises are gone. Also the front roof glass needs to adjusted to, so it doesn't rub against the frame of the sunroof. Even though that these roofs will not knock, or pop anymore, you will still have what appears to be a rubbing noise. I haven't figured what this noise is yet. Jaguar wont pay enough diag time for it, so..... Let Jaguar "engineers" figure out.

Last edited by jaglover922; 05-24-2011 at 07:22 PM. Reason: didn't spell a work correctly
Old 05-26-2011, 08:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New XJL Supercharged

I don't believe this but the new supercharged XJL that I purchased to replace the noise producing orginal Jaguar is now making the same noises as the orginal car. I have contacted Jaguar USA and I am waiting for a reponse. Last time they said they would help me with the purchase of the supercharged XJL. I never did hear back from them on that so I am not holding my breath on this car problems. I will keep this forum informed as soon as I hear something from Jaguar USA. By the way the dealer was never able to fix the first car I just found that out. The dealer called me and ask me not to fill out a repair survey on the first car as I no longer had the car. I think these cars are not ready for primetime yet, there are far too many problems with the quality control of these vehicles. I am truly hoping Jaguar will stand behind this car as I told them these repair attempts do not work. I have to drive a long distance each time they try to fix my car and they never got it right. I am tired of dealing with it on a $94,000 vehicle. I have 860 miles on the new vehicle, the vin is in the high 17000's

Last edited by cbras9; 05-26-2011 at 08:57 AM.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:50 PM

This is terrible news. I'm bringing my car in next week my 2 nd brand new xjl with only 1000 mi . I will give them a chance I'm gonna show them the tech stuff on my laptop to make sure theybdo it right

Old 05-27-2011, 03:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

This is just unacceptable , that beats me why the engineers could not figure out to fix such a glitch , what's the point of factory tests .I don't think pre production test models aren't any different and should not be .
I can say that your XJs have built better in general than rest of the fleet but why on earth they yet to fix this issue I don't see

Old 05-27-2011, 07:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still more problems.

I have a meeting with my Jaguar service manager and a Jaguar USA rep at 10:00 this morning. Although I thought my rattle issues were resolved, the veritable bandaids have all failed to hold. I have little to no faith that they will be able to resolve the issues without tearing out and re-designing the entire interior - of course this is not going to happen, so I'll begin car shopping this afternoon.

Did I forget to mention that the dealership's detail department returned my noisy car with deep swirl completely covering the paint job.

Old 05-27-2011, 03:34 PM
Default Followup on your meeting

What happened with your meeting????

Old 05-28-2011, 07:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cbras9
What happened with your meeting????

Jaguar rep didn't bother to show up. The director of service was understanding, and endured a rather lengthy test drive during which he was treated to a symphony of obnoxious rattles, pops, buzzes, and thumps.

Currently, the dealer has possession of my car. He kept it so that the factory rep could investigate, if he showed up later in the day. I'm driving a demo XJL which, unfortunately, is also a rattle trap - although not as bad as mine.

What I'm beginning to learn is that the problem is not with my XJL, but rather with the XJL. It doesn't matter how good looking the finish details are, or how large the price tag is, if inferior materials are used underneath all of the 'fluff', the end result is simply a pretty piece of crap.

The service director gave the impression that Jaguar would probably consider a trade, but I don't see how that solves the problem.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:57 AM

Thats the same thing they did me however I ended up paying for the trade as I never heard back from Jaguar and they gave me nothing to help the costs as I was promised. The factory rep never did show up for my car

Old 05-28-2011, 09:02 AM

I will keep this forum informed as to what Jaguar is going to do. I have demanded a new car or my money back as these so called band-aide fixes don't work

Old 05-28-2011, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,359 Likes on 1,477 Posts

Don't you have lemon laws where you live? When I bought my S-Type R back in 2004, it developed all sorts of quirks. At 15K miles I hired an attorney on contingency and he was able to get Jaguar to either offer me a brand new vehicle or a full refund. I chose the later.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:31 AM

Yes we do believe it or have lemon laws in Louisiana but it is a long drawn out process. I would prefer to work something out with Jaguar and give them a chance to make this right. Having said that I will turn to the courts if they don't as a last resort

Old 05-28-2011, 01:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,359 Likes on 1,477 Posts

We never went to court, only took a few weeks. Attorney simply reiterated what I had said to Jaguar and they immediately offered to make it right. It was in their best interests to do so.

That is the reason I asked...if you have those laws, then Jaguar knows it and would prefer NOT to go through the expense of going to court.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:11 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Taking possession of a XJL SC next week. No papers signed yet. Should I back out of buying this car?

Old 05-29-2011, 09:55 AM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Dochands
Taking possession of a XJL SC next week. No papers signed yet. Should I back out of buying this car?
The key to a good buying experience with this car is a competant dealer. Yes, some of the cars have a few minor problems that can all be fixed by a tech that knows what he's doing (except for some of the lemons that we are hearing about that need to be dealt with appropriately by Jaguar--every car manufacturer has some of these). I firmly believe that these issues are being blown out of proportion on this forum (like any forum). I get more envious looks and compliments in this car than any other car I have ever owned, including a Maserati QP, and you don't see one on every corner like Mercedes, BMW, Audi, etc. I bought mine in June, 2010 (the first one delivered by my dealer and a 7,000's VIN) and within a couple of months all issues were resolved and the car has been trouble free ever since. It's time for its first service and there are no issues to address. If you are a super techie and want state-of-the-art electronics, there are better systems out there (like in the Acura TL and even the Ford Sinc system), but you can't beat the design, performance (especially the SC models), and exclusivity of this car. I say go for it if you feel comfortable with your dealer.

The following users liked this post:
Dochands (05-29-2011)
Old 05-29-2011, 10:35 AM

Well I know from other experiences that forums often exaggerate the negative because most people don't post about the positive.

My car was made 7/10 and has a VIN in the low 9000s. They have a couple made in December up in the mid teens but not the color I want.

I certainly hope I am an exception because I have no tolerance for a car that is continually in the shop for this or that. I expect it fixed once.

Before I take possession I will talk to the dealer (Park Place in Dallas) about what I have read and make sure that whatever they know to do is done.

I just hope this is not like my Breitling watch that has gone back for service twice and still can't accurately hold the time.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:48 AM

Well my first Jaguar is still not fixed after 2 months of being at the dealers, so I don't think I am exaggerating anything

Old 05-29-2011, 11:42 AM

I didn't mean any insult pal. I meant forums talk about issues.

Trust me it's making me consider my decision.

Quick Reply: Popping, rattles and squeaks my brand new xjl