XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Popping, rattles and squeaks my brand new xjl

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 11:12 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gears
Hi,
it is correct that the TSB is fairly "old". However, there isn't a new one out at that time and the dealer should check if all of the TSB issues are not present in your car. One major noise source for "popping noise" are metal joints covered with paint. Simply taking a knife and cutting / scraping the paint out will fix it. Dealers should all be aware of it. Isn't it a stupidly simple cause and fix to such an annoying problem?

Either way, my message to all the doubters and complainers: My car was permanently and completely fixed without any considerable invonvinience to me. A simple visit and now my car is as it should be.
Gears,
Thanks for all your help, I brought in the tsp on my iPad to show the service manager to show them to make sure it was done, thanks

Old 06-09-2011, 06:13 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by gears
I would like to add a comment to all the readers to keep the following in mind:
There are some people who seem to have legitimate "lemon cars" just like the exist from any brand.
There seem to be some people they won't be happy with the car, no matter what. Whatever the source, unrealistic expectations or buyer's remores.
Jaguar now must have built I guess around 30,000 of those cars. Now if you check the people posting the major problems (I am not talking about the ones with small legitimate problems or questions) you will find how many? A handful may be?

You see where I am going with this. Out of 30,000 plus cars it is quiet normal that you have a share of a) unhappy customers for whatever resons and b) the occassional car which turns out to be a complete lemon.

But again, see the numbers. No goe to any BMW or Mercedes board and check there.
In other words, Jaguar is just as good or as bad as the other brands. But, in my view, the car is a lot more exciting in many aspects than the cars of those other brands.

Just my personal view for consideration.
I completely agree.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Then I ended up with the 2 lemons. First one is was just now fixed using lock tight and the replacement is still in the shop. They are trying to figure out how to fix it

Old 06-11-2011, 12:28 AM

Houtex,
How did they fix the roof?
Does it still make a pop when you incline in a driveway.?
What did the techs say were thumb problems in detail please.

Old 06-11-2011, 12:38 AM

Cbras9,
This is my 2nd car also, what are you going to do?

Old 06-11-2011, 11:05 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine (VIN# in 6,000s) was just returned from the shop after two days. I got one roof pop that evening on the way home, and two more the very next day.

Dealer thought they had fixed the problem by "tightening the roof channels".

They are not as loud as they were before, but........

Old 06-11-2011, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by jcamp
Houtex,
How did they fix the roof?
Does it still make a pop when you incline in a driveway.?
What did the techs say were thumb problems in detail please.
Sorry, I really don't know exactly what they did--they just told me that they performed all of the TSB's that they got from Jaguar for this. The popping when I turned into my inclined driveway was the worst and it has not done this in the last 10 months.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:04 AM

They now have my 2nd replacement xj for a week ,I hope they fix it.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:18 PM

My second XJL has been in the shop now for a week also

Old 06-14-2011, 01:48 PM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

jcamp and cbras: what did you have to go through to get another car form Jaguar? Just wondering. And, yes, it must be very disheartening to get another one, just to find it in the shop again.
I am just very happy they got my roof fixed, and I do not have any other problems. (strike that, just minor stuff, all fixed in one visit with all the TSB stuff).
My roof does not pop anymore, even if I corner up into my drive way at an agnle. Occassionally I hear a very minor "tock" from the sunroof when I hit a major pothole or something. I don't consider that a flaw.
Dealer explained they did all the TSB work for the roof which means they broke off those alignment tabs or bent them into center of whole, removed the temporary install hex nuts and most important it was fixed permanently when they scraped out paint/glue or whatever out of some metal seems. That latest really did the trick I believe. I also believe it is part of the TSB, not sure.
In addition the tech really spent the time to make sure that ALL clips are tight, don't rattle and so on. Especially the frame around the rear glass panel (plastic frame between roof liner and glass) as that comes loose very often and can rattle. (Its only held in place by Velcro, dealer updated to double sticky and added a little shim). All that was done a little bit with my input probably being a real pain in the *** to the technician. However, they politely worked with me and no its all good.
So, I still can't tell any of you; do you have a problem with the car? The dealer tech? Or whatever. It appears that many of the cars do need a little dealer rework. (Happens to other brands also). But if the dealer techs or the dealer support by Jaguar isn't up to it, that is when things can get really bad.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:20 AM

I was told that the supercharged was a more solid built vehicle and I upgraded to it using my own money. I paid $23,000 more for the supercharged . So you see I took a beating on the second Jaguar. Jaguar never helped at all!

Old 06-16-2011, 10:42 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have been patiently reading most of the posts on the squeaking and popping sounds emitted by the new XJ, and while I sympathize with their owners, I believe a little Jaguar history is indicated here.
I own a very low mileage 1993 XJ6, and no, it doesn't rattle and squeak, but these models had a constant history of boot (trunk) leaks which were, to my knowledge never properly rectified by Jaguar.
The point I am making is that Jags have nearly always had reliability and build-quality problems, the latter especially during the seventies. The advent of Ford in the late eighties did much to improve these issues, and the effects of their recent departure will certainly show themselves if this is not happening already.
Why, then, do people buy Jags if they are problematic? The answer is quite simple - they are fantastic to drive, and nothing on the road looks as beautiful as a Jag.
Patience chaps, rattles and squeaks are irritating, damn well so, but try to forget them for at least a little while, and enjoy the ride; no BMW, Merc or Audi has the class of a Jaguar.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:26 PM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jrwb
I have been patiently reading most of the posts on the squeaking and popping sounds emitted by the new XJ, and while I sympathize with their owners, I believe a little Jaguar history is indicated here.
I own a very low mileage 1993 XJ6, and no, it doesn't rattle and squeak, but these models had a constant history of boot (trunk) leaks which were, to my knowledge never properly rectified by Jaguar.
The point I am making is that Jags have nearly always had reliability and build-quality problems, the latter especially during the seventies. The advent of Ford in the late eighties did much to improve these issues, and the effects of their recent departure will certainly show themselves if this is not happening already.
Why, then, do people buy Jags if they are problematic? The answer is quite simple - they are fantastic to drive, and nothing on the road looks as beautiful as a Jag.
Patience chaps, rattles and squeaks are irritating, damn well so, but try to forget them for at least a little while, and enjoy the ride; no BMW, Merc or Audi has the class of a Jaguar.
I test drove the XJL SC and the XKR. While I agree with you on both statements about looks and feel, I can't drop $90K+ for a car that will present problems that not even Kias have. If Jags were priced in the high 40s or low 50s it would already be a stretch having to live with such annoyances. At $90K+ it has to be near perfect.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:44 PM

Good luck finding that near perfect $90K+ car. In the meantime, you are missing a great driving experience and one of the classiest cars on the road today.

Old 06-18-2011, 01:07 AM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

I am going to have to agree with Maybe XJ on this one to a point. At this price point there is no excuse for the issues this car has been having. But with that said as long as Jaguar is actively engaged in dealing with these issues then its really a non-issue. Mercedes are some the most complex cars on this planet and if you don't believe they have issues as well then you are fooling yourself. Lambo's, Aston, Bentley's all have issues as well and they are twice the or even three times the price.

If you really want a XJ MaybeXJ just wait until the 2012 model comes out. I am pretty sure most of the early adopter issues you have been hearing now are gone. And just fyi I haven't had any of those issues. My car is finally going in this week because my DVD player is set for region 2,front driver bumper sensor is acting up and my back sunshade isn't closing completely. Just a little crack is left open(and I am not talking about the rear window sunscreen). Other than that everything has worked as advertised.

At the end of the day its like this. You have about 6 choices in this catergory. Audi A8, BMW 750, Mercedes S, Porsche Panamera, Lexus LS 460 and the XJ.(Some say the Equus but give me a break). If your plan is to have a driver and you sit in the back I would say get the BMW or Mercedes or even the Lexus as the executive pack for the XJ won't be out until the 2012 model.

If you drive typically around 40-60 miles and hour and enjoy picking up the grand kids and taking them to the park then I would say the Audi, Lexus, Mecerdes, and BMW are all fine cars. They scream settled, secured, and financially stable.

But if you are having a mid-life crisis or just want to drive the crap out of a car and look good doing it but you still want to be able to pull up to a high end restaurant and have that 18 year valet kid go dang thats a sweet ride as you toss him the keys well there are only two choices for you. The Porsche and the Jag. And by the time you finish adding all the options in the Porsche just to get where the Jag is standard you would have been better off getting an Aston or a Maserati.

So hands down for me the Jaguar is the OVERALL best car in this class. It may not have the most toys, but pound for pound it is the best and it has one thing the other cars in the class doesn't have. Soul.

Old 06-18-2011, 05:57 AM

Not when it sounds like a damn garbage truck

Old 06-18-2011, 07:47 AM

Come now, you know it doesn't sound like a garbage truck. What I think's happening to some owners is they are getting into their cars and setting off, and all they're thinking of is rattles and squeaks, and brother, if this is so, they are going to hear nothing but rattles and squeaks...I know, it's happened to me.
As I said before Jags always do funny things, so just forget it and drive and enjoy the blasted car...

Old 06-18-2011, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by ExpatJag
I am going to have to agree with Maybe XJ on this one to a point. At this price point there is no excuse for the issues this car has been having. But with that said as long as Jaguar is actively engaged in dealing with these issues then its really a non-issue. Mercedes are some the most complex cars on this planet and if you don't believe they have issues as well then you are fooling yourself. Lambo's, Aston, Bentley's all have issues as well and they are twice the or even three times the price.

If you really want a XJ MaybeXJ just wait until the 2012 model comes out. I am pretty sure most of the early adopter issues you have been hearing now are gone. And just fyi I haven't had any of those issues. My car is finally going in this week because my DVD player is set for region 2,front driver bumper sensor is acting up and my back sunshade isn't closing completely. Just a little crack is left open(and I am not talking about the rear window sunscreen). Other than that everything has worked as advertised.

At the end of the day its like this. You have about 6 choices in this catergory. Audi A8, BMW 750, Mercedes S, Porsche Panamera, Lexus LS 460 and the XJ.(Some say the Equus but give me a break). If your plan is to have a driver and you sit in the back I would say get the BMW or Mercedes or even the Lexus as the executive pack for the XJ won't be out until the 2012 model.

If you drive typically around 40-60 miles and hour and enjoy picking up the grand kids and taking them to the park then I would say the Audi, Lexus, Mecerdes, and BMW are all fine cars. They scream settled, secured, and financially stable.

But if you are having a mid-life crisis or just want to drive the crap out of a car and look good doing it but you still want to be able to pull up to a high end restaurant and have that 18 year valet kid go dang thats a sweet ride as you toss him the keys well there are only two choices for you. The Porsche and the Jag. And by the time you finish adding all the options in the Porsche just to get where the Jag is standard you would have been better off getting an Aston or a Maserati.

So hands down for me the Jaguar is the OVERALL best car in this class. It may not have the most toys, but pound for pound it is the best and it has one thing the other cars in the class doesn't have. Soul.
Couldn't have said it better myself! Also keep in mind that 10's of thousands of these cars have been sold already and if the early issues were not being resolved (or non-existant) there would be a lot more owners up in arms and seeking out this forum to figure it out. We just seem to keep hearing from the same old complainers that can't get satisfaction from their dealers and I, for one, would just like them to get rid of their cars and move on and quit trying to ruin the experience for everyone else. Sounds like a garbage truck? Give me a break!

Old 06-19-2011, 06:38 AM

Thanks HouTexJag for that 'that's tellin' 'em' reply. I used to live in Trinidad in the West Indies, and that type of complaining had got so bad in the eighties that people thought that if a car wasn't marked Nissan or Toyota it was rubbish; Mitsubishi and Mazda were tolerated, and Subaru, Suzuki and Honda weren't sold there at the time. They thought you were a fool if you bought a Ford, and the only Ford they would tolerate was the 'Laser' which was made in Japan in the days when Ford owned most of Mazda.
I appreciate these chaps are annoyed with some of the MINOR problems they're having with their Jags, but this forum is beginning to sound like a vendetta against the XJ, and as I mentioned above, I have been through this nonsense before, and I tell you, I aint takin' it...I am going to fight back...I love Jags.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:46 AM

Just got my second car back, no sounds at all It may be fixed I hope so. They even found some things that may cause problems in the future and corrected it.

Quick Reply: Popping, rattles and squeaks my brand new xjl