XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Popping, rattles and squeaks my brand new xjl

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 10:06 AM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by cbras9
I hate to even write this but the rattles are back,worse then ever. Not sure what happened the car has been sitting in my garage since I picked it up Friday. I drove the car approx 1 mile and it is making sounds the whole time. I again contacted Jaguar and they are to tell me what to do. I will keep you posted
That simply stinks. Makes me think the techs at your dealer have no clue AND no talent. Or they are not giving enough time and resources. I know the car can be quiet. As in my case, about 2 completely minor and one not so minor (roof pop TSB) corrections got rid of all the noises for good. My dealer as excellent techs and they are allowed to simply take the time to get it right.
I looked into the roof myself to get the "squeak next to driver's ear" identified. So ridiculously simple it goes to "early production slips".
I am very noise sensitive in a car and I am stickler when it comes to it. What really pisses me off is that your dealer seems to be unable to get it right. I know it can be tricky and it really comes down to the one talented and knowledgeable guy and of course the dealer / Jaguar allowing that guy all the time to do it right.
It ticks me off so much, because I know that all this can be fixed correctly. You could be happy and Jaguar can build a great reputation. Instead because of whatever mismanagement within Jaguar / Dealer you are ticked off, the car is getting a bad reputation for nothing and all that while it could be resolved without any major high tech engineering or modifications. Sometimes when I read those post I get the feeling that the techs do more harm then good when they work these roofs.
I think they all should get mock ups and be made to take them apart and reassemble them under Jaguar training engineers a few times. That may help as I have to concede that the roof assembly can be complex to work on in a cramped space and the need not to avoid dirt and scratches. Poking around in the dark within that assembly will certainly not be the best approach.
I have to defend the techs in some regard as well. Initially we thought them to be "Mechanics". Now, look at all the different and complex subsystems they have to deal with. Interior and trim, engine and transmissions, electric and electronics and now even software. I have to admit it is not easy to find the right crew as a dealer to cover all those items equally. Now, that applies to all brands I must add. I simply don't want some to think that I blame the techs for these issues and I have seen some very good techs figuring goofy crazy problems out and they never even got any appreciation. And I want to emphasize that Jaguar must really appreciate what those good techs are actually doing a lot to help Jaguar engineering and help Jaguar to end up with a happy customer. That said; it is easy to rant about the few incapable techs and we don't want to drag down the good and highly motivated ones with them.
Good luck and I really hope you can enjoy the car soon as it should be enjoyed.

Last edited by gears; 06-22-2011 at 10:17 AM.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me add my name to the list of "poppers". You guys/gals have said everything so there is no need to repeat the problems; my car came back from the shop today (after 4 days); we will see if it is better.

Old 06-25-2011, 05:28 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gears
Too much traffic for sure. But at night you get a whole stretch of road from Port of Spain to San Fernando you could use as a race track. Except the crazy drivers. I saw some freaky accidents there. (One involving a horse ending up more or less completely inside a compact).
I know exactly what you mean - I have never driven on that stretch at more than 95 mph, because I never felt safe - you never know what the devil is going to appear on the road in front of you - I once ran into a string of dogs right across both lanes at about 4 am - impossible to avoid them, so I deliberately plunged into these dogs, and I was only doing about 55 - must have been the light - they just appeared in front - avoiding them would have meant going into the ditch - wrecked a 2006 Kia Rio.
On another occassion a few years before a TODDLER was observed on that highway; luckily the driver managed to stop and get the unfortunate child off the road...

Last edited by jrwb; 06-25-2011 at 05:35 AM.
Old 06-25-2011, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by cbras9
I hate to even write this but the rattles are back,worse then ever. Not sure what happened the car has been sitting in my garage since I picked it up Friday. I drove the car approx 1 mile and it is making sounds the whole time. I again contacted Jaguar and they are to tell me what to do. I will keep you posted
As for you, cbras9, pull yourself together and start enjoying your Jag; by all means make every effort to have the noises corrected, but for goodness' sake don't let hem rule your life!!

Old 06-25-2011, 12:47 PM

Mine has the exact same issue, and has been back at the dealer for two weeks. Just as they were puting it back together last week, the Jaguar representitive came in and stopped the in-process repair, stating they have a new "fix" for which my parts will be in Monday. We'll see......

Old 06-25-2011, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Thin Crust
Mine has the exact same issue, and has been back at the dealer for two weeks. Just as they were puting it back together last week, the Jaguar representitive came in and stopped the in-process repair, stating they have a new "fix" for which my parts will be in Monday. We'll see......
Well, I would LOVE to hear what "new fix" needs exactly "which parts". There is no new literature to the dealers I was able to find yet.
I REALLY hope the represantative is know what he is talking about and the dealer tech knows his stuff so you can enjoy the car. Again, its so much worth it, as this car is really fun and enjoyable.
Hang in. They fixed mine without needing any parts or new updates. And not a single pop anymore.

Old 06-25-2011, 03:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm at the 11,000 mile mark in my 2011 XJL-sc and I still have sore cheeks from over exercising my fascial grin muscles while cruising along... After the first run of squawks were fixed months ago there have been no pops or other issues except ... If exercising the deluxe sound system volume greater than level 40 I get a buzz in the front passenger side tweeter speaker ... The dealer says it will be handled at the now due service maintenance ... I believe them because the service so far has been spot on.... I would emphasize that dealership service department competency is the difference between a pain and bliss ....

Last edited by Celestial; 06-25-2011 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-26-2011, 06:11 AM

There is no new literature to the dealers I was able to find yet.
I am unclear just what these "new parts" are myself, ut after speeking with the owner of the dealership Friday, he claimed there was a new tac release as of Thursday.............although I'm not exactly sure what that means either. Gee..........I'm not really sure of much this morning, am I.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:11 AM

My 1993 Sovereign does have a bit of a rattle from the fascia vents. Mmm...I wonder if my friendly Jaguar Dealer will fix me up...better check on the warranty...

Old 06-29-2011, 05:50 PM

I just picked up my car. I'm knocking on wood as I say this, but I have put the car into every conceivable twist and torque out there. There is no more popping of any sort. So just to celebrate, I took the car out on the highway and reminded myself why I bought it in the first place.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:11 AM
Default Congrats to Thin Crust

Yeah...finally some good press!!

I have had the same positive experience since my car came out of the shop; but I have not yet been able to really put it through a thorough test. My fingers are crossed!

Old 06-30-2011, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,949 Posts

I was beginning to think there were NO happy new XJ (X351) owners out there !!

I have to say I don't see many around here in England, although XFs are two a penny with several in our village alone. Jaguar upped the XJ price very considerably compared to the previous X350 (my car) in the middle of the severest recession in the UK for decades. I think the price hike was about £10,000 compared to the previous equivalent.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:20 PM
pwl
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Listen guys...it's just a matter of time before your roof pops. My first XJ was in/out of shop countless times and it kept coming back. They gave me a brand new one - which ostensibly had the "popping" issue resolved with "new design" of sorts during build. For about 10 months, not a sound. The last month, pop pop pop. If you drive the car long enough, you will eventually experience the annoying popping noise. It is a fundamental flaw in the design. Until they redesign the roof, the popping cannot be fixed permanently. I think the 2012 model, there is no changes in the roof design that I'm aware of. No matter, I should dump mine in about 3 weeks I'm hoping - AMG is here soon. Radio starting to lock up again also.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:30 AM

I have been looking back at the various posts made with regard to these 'popping' sounds coming from the roof of the new XJ, and they seem, for the most part, to be coming from the USA.

I can't see what would be in a LHD model roof that is absent in a RHD to cause these sounds unless:

1 Americans have better hearing than the British
2 American roads are worse than British roads
3 All XJs rattle and pop, the British don't bother, the Americans do.
4 European XJ owners don't know enough English to post in these forums, or
they can't be bothered, just like the British

Old 07-01-2011, 10:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm not popping ... I hope 

Old 07-03-2011, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by pwl
Listen guys...it's just a matter of time before your roof pops. My first XJ was in/out of shop countless times and it kept coming back. They gave me a brand new one - which ostensibly had the "popping" issue resolved with "new design" of sorts during build. For about 10 months, not a sound. The last month, pop pop pop. If you drive the car long enough, you will eventually experience the annoying popping noise. It is a fundamental flaw in the design. Until they redesign the roof, the popping cannot be fixed permanently. I think the 2012 model, there is no changes in the roof design that I'm aware of. No matter, I should dump mine in about 3 weeks I'm hoping - AMG is here soon. Radio starting to lock up again also.
Hi PWL,
no neccessarily so. Logically if the fixes which had been applied successfully to my 8000 range VIN XJ are now in production cars with higher VIN why would the pops be appearing? I know what you mean based on some others experience.
Bu once mine was fixed correctly no more pops or any undue noises for 6 months / 6k miles on bad Chicago area roads. And I am very noise sensitive and wouldn't put up with it. Like I said my early VIN XJ is perfect now.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by jrwb
I have been looking back at the various posts made with regard to these 'popping' sounds coming from the roof of the new XJ, and they seem, for the most part, to be coming from the USA.

I can't see what would be in a LHD model roof that is absent in a RHD to cause these sounds unless:

1 Americans have better hearing than the British
2 American roads are worse than British roads
3 All XJs rattle and pop, the British don't bother, the Americans do.
4 European XJ owners don't know enough English to post in these forums, or
they can't be bothered, just like the British

Wow, not sure what to make of that post. It is entertaining, but makes absolutely no sense to me except the statement about the roads being better in Europe. Most Germans I know speak enough English to post here and if it comes to wanting a perfect car, they are the ones most critical. Living in the US for 19 years, being born and raised in Munich Germany, having traveled for business internationally extensively I believe to possess some first hand observations which qualify my to make that statement.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:25 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Buy a Lexus. No problems, no noises, ultimate reliability.

Old 07-04-2011, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by porkenstein
Buy a Lexus. No problems, no noises, ultimate reliability.
That's about all you get with a Lexus.

Boring cars with no class or pedigree, for boring drivers with no class or pedigree...

Old 07-04-2011, 08:35 AM
xjb
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure what an owner's pedigree has to do with the Lexus vs. Jaguar choice (or much of anything else). But, it would certainly be accurate to say that Lexus makes wonderfully built but boring cars.

Originally Posted by jrwb
That's about all you get with a Lexus.

Boring cars with no class or pedigree, for boring drivers with no class or pedigree...

Quick Reply: Popping, rattles and squeaks my brand new xjl