XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Popping, rattles and squeaks my brand new xjl

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 10:09 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Best fix is for PWL to trade in his Jag, and buy a CLS; he's not got what it takes to be a Jag owner...he can then join the CLS forum and live happily ever after.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:14 AM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I do that, but I also tighten up the bolts and then back them off a 1/4 turn , not the 15Torx on the sides. The bolts i'm talking about are the 25 torx for the roof frame. I also put tape/foam under the deflector bolts and then snug them down. And lastly I spread the body a little bit with a screwdriver at the B pillars.

Originally Posted by Brutal
JL, own regional rep is MH not MS. but same opinion on the former discussion. My best fix is antifriction tape between the torx screws that mount the sunblind motors to the metal crossbar...yours?

Old 07-19-2011, 09:27 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with pwl sticky tape is just silly, it's amdesign flaw that I'm more worried about the safety of the glass if it pops it must not be safe.
Jaguar should dona recall and fix it properly, like a whole new roof structure not just sticky tape sorry.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:13 AM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

For those of you who are only owners and not techs^^^AND ARE UNAWARE
antifriction tape is all over all luxury cars today along with dumb dumb(im sure it goes by another name) and other materials. The anitfriction tape is used by the factories on every single clip, panel attachment/rub points etc that holds trim, bolts etc... It is one of the small little things that factories have done to dramatically reduce squeeks and rattles in cars today. And its not the glass that pops, its all the moving metal pieces and attachment points in the "oh i want a fancy glass panels and blinds that open in my new luxury car" of the roof. To the best of my knowledge ive never heard of any glass breaking in these panels...
and I believe most warranties have somewhere in them that the issue be fixed, not that you can dictate the way in which you get it done. I would be happy to have an issue fixed and not be as concerned about HOW

The following users liked this post:
dmchao (10-23-2019)
Old 07-20-2011, 09:48 AM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
For those of you who are only owners and not techs^^^AND ARE UNAWARE
antifriction tape is all over all luxury cars today along with dumb dumb(im sure it goes by another name) and other materials. The anitfriction tape is used by the factories on every single clip, panel attachment/rub points etc that holds trim, bolts etc... It is one of the small little things that factories have done to dramatically reduce squeeks and rattles in cars today. And its not the glass that pops, its all the moving metal pieces and attachment points in the "oh i want a fancy glass panels and blinds that open in my new luxury car" of the roof. To the best of my knowledge ive never heard of any glass breaking in these panels...
and I believe most warranties have somewhere in them that the issue be fixed, not that you can dictate the way in which you get it done. I would be happy to have an issue fixed and not be as concerned about HOW
Amen. Thank You so much for pointing these facts out. It was about time as it was getting harder to bear some of the less educated tech opinions from amateurs. I am not a tech but as an engineer and car buff for many years I completely agree with BRUTAL. It is NOT the glass making the noise. No glass ever cracked to my knowledge. And any experienced tech will know that "sticky tape" kind of materials (velcro, antifriction, doublesided and so on) are found in liberal quantities in about every luxury car no matter the brand.
My Jaguar techs got my roof fixed and it is quiet ever since. (correct that, a minor pop noise in the front center occassionally during body twist. It is a new one but nothing major I am sure).
They did share how they did it when I asked, but in the end I need to leave it up to them. It is warranty and since it worked I can care less how they did it. I mostly asked to share on this board for the ones where techs had been struggling with the problem and they may want to learn from the experience from other techs.
I believe the roof pop noise is a non issue at this time IF properly addressed by a good tech.

The following users liked this post:
Brutal (07-20-2011)
Old 07-20-2011, 01:02 PM

I never asked for a fancy glass roof I'd prefer a standard sunroof in fact if the y offered it I'd buy the hard roof STD sunroof over a glass roof

Old 07-21-2011, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by jcamp
I never asked for a fancy glass roof I'd prefer a standard sunroof in fact if the y offered it I'd buy the hard roof STD sunroof over a glass roof
May be you did not. But many others do compare the car with the competition. And since many of the all luxury competitors offer huge glassed roof option front to back and in all kind of configurations Jaguar needed to offer one, too.
I like having it simply because of having it for show. But frankly, it doesn't really do anything. Mostly I have it closed and with the shades closed as well.
What Jaguar could have done (as most of their competitors do) offer the option rather then forcing it as a standard.
FYI, my roof is quiet now. I should say almost as a very rare occasional small pop comes from front center now when twisted in angle over curb. That seems new and unrelated to the fixed noises. I am sure they will fix that at scheduled service visit.
For the sake of the Jaguar I sure hope they come out of the factory quiet now. I put it up under "early adopter" pain. But, honestly, if they couldn't have fixed it, I would be very very upset and raise a major stink like some did. But like I said, it seems my techs have this completely under control.
Is your roof quiet now? Or do you have noises?

Old 07-21-2011, 02:14 PM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

I have a XJL Supercharged as well and never had the popping issue once. The only reason I got the Jaguar was because of the glass roof. My friend has a panoramic sunroof and I fell in love it. It just makes the car feel so much roomier because of all the light it lets in. I will never own another car that doesn't have one.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, the saga continues! After months of unresolved rattles, pops, squeaks, and buzzes, along with a myriad of electrical problems, Jaguar of North America has agreed to buy the car ba k! YEA!!! Od course I was promised that all details would be provided today, but alas, I received no call from jaguar - I even left three voicemail messages and a hand delivered message as well.

I'm replacing the crappy Jaguar with a 2011 Maserati Quattroporte S

Old 09-12-2011, 11:12 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Aaviaation
Well, the saga continues! After months of unresolved rattles, pops, squeaks, and buzzes, along with a myriad of electrical problems, Jaguar of North America has agreed to buy the car ba k! YEA!!! Od course I was promised that all details would be provided today, but alas, I received no call from jaguar - I even left three voicemail messages and a hand delivered message as well.

I'm replacing the crappy Jaguar with a 2011 Maserati Quattroporte S
Good luck with that Maserati. I had an '07 QP Sport GT for a couple of years and, believe me, they have their problems as well. Plus you have do do business with the Ferrari dealer that has absolutely no sense of urgency. If it's a weekend toy, okay, but if it's a daily driver, forget about it. They had mine for over a month once while they figured out and fixed a camshaft problem.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:47 AM

Well,
here, too. After several months of NO noise from the roof, it started up again. This time a different pop more at front frame. Dealer already confirmed that there is a new TSB out. They also finally admitted to me that this is a problem on that car and the one which gives them the most trouble on a dealer / customer relationship level.
Dealership even has identified its best own dedicated "test twist pop" spot. Well, that alone speaks volumes.
Tech says, that simply new problems are developing as you go and so you new TSB hopefully addressing the new problems. Good thing is, Jaguar is painfully aware of it appears has put some resources on this matter to fix the problem for existing and new owners.
Car had to go for its first annual service anyways. So I will keep you posted. Otherwise I must say I still love the car.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took my 2011 XJ (VIN # 6000) in for roof pops, a left rear directional light that stops working until you turn the ignition off then back on, and a surging in the power steering system when the steering wheel turned off of dead center around 6 weeks ago now. The dealership in Hunt Valley MD had it for a little over a week, working with Jaguar North America most of that time. They ended up replacing the power steering rack, replaced the rear light assembly with another one from a car in stock, and performed some unknown kind ofmagic on the roof pops. I got the car back with almost 100 additional miles on it, but the car has been PERFECT ever since. I know that it is only three weeks now, but it hasn't made a single roof noise, the directional light has not failed to work even one time, and the power steering system surge appears to be gone.

ALL of these problems started hundreds and hundreds of miles after I took ownership of the car which was, itself, just following a two state, 400 mile weekend test drive during which it was perfect.

I know from other posts that these issues might return one day, and that will be unfortunate, because I now LOVE driving this car!

Those with roof pops and other issues such as the ones described here should not dispair. It appears that thes problems CAN be fixed if you get the right people working on them. My hat's off to Jaguar North America technicians and to Chesapeake Jaguar Land Rover in Baltimore!

Old 09-17-2011, 04:28 PM

gears,
Jag has been aware for a year now on the roof pops. You sent me a tsb like 60 pages months ago. they know it's a design flaw. Class action is needed for Jag to do a recall and fix these flaws.
I'm giving them one last shot in october, if they can't fix it than Adios for Jag.
It's a shame for this brand to mess up their reputation again.

Old 09-18-2011, 02:26 PM

jcamp.
I know. I feel the same way. Problem is, there are things they could do to make me a bit more satisfied. I.e. tell my dealer to bring loaner, pickup mine and bring back mine. And make sure the loaner is at least a XJ and not a XF. And so on. But.....the delaer seem to have no instructions to do anything like that. When I asked they said they can't.
No I am getting really p*****. I don't have time to drive there all the time, go through the check in / check out routine, get my stuff out and move it in the other car. ect. I am sick of it.

I am not in the mood of suing or staring a major stink. But I will if needed. I will actually send a certified letter next week to the dealer and Jaguar. Probably several copies to several places at Jaguar. I will give them a total of 5 working days to fix the problem once and for all. If they can't we need to figure something else out. Replacing with another one which has the same problem makes no sense.
I am reasonable, I love the car overall, but this has become unacceptable. I have had the car in 3 times for this now. What did they do? They fixed/ replaced a broken hood hinge stating that caused the noise. I kept telling the service tech the noise is in the front edge of the sunroof. They did NOTHING on the roof. They said there are no noises. The moment I drove off and pulled into a gas station, "POP". I am equally p*at the tardiness of the dealer to miss that noise and obviously did not do the extensive test drive they said they did. Figure this: The service tech told me that the dealer even located the perfect "testing Spot" over a curb/ hump to check for popping noises. How sad is that? And how much confirmation of a known prblem does anybody need. I know Jaguar knows about it. They are just too cheap to come out to us and make it right. If that is what they would do, I would feel a whole lot different about the brand. Right now I completely stopped recommending the car to others and I stopped talking about it highly.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:48 PM

I am giving it one more chance. They told me a new kit will be in mid Oct. If it still pops, I will trade it for a BMW 750IL. Jaguar will go under if they don't fix this issue.
It has to be happening in every car .

Old 09-18-2011, 09:15 PM
Default I'm passing on the XJ

Guys - this seems as good a place as any to thank all of you for your candor on the roof popping issues - particularly Gears as I too was going to be serviced at Elmhurst Jag. I love the car - its everything I want in a car, fast, great stereo, great looking - but I just don't want to deal with the potential/actual quality hassles as I know the roof popping and other rattles would drive me crazy. I'm going for a used 750ix with Sport package. Maybe in a couple years I'll get the 2012 Jag if their are no reports of roof problems. Really too bad.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:37 AM

Just an update - as I mentioned in a previous post, Jaguar of North America agreed to buy back my 2011 XJL.

Now that it's time to complete the transaction, they are starting to back off of their promise - they are still willing to proceed, but they now want to take the mileage deductions from the amount owed on the vehicle, rather than from the amount paid. It makes no sense. Essentially, they want to keep everything I've paid toward the principal so far PLUS take the milage deductions. Hopefully they'll realize the error of their ways without having to go the lagal route. We shall see...

Old 09-19-2011, 12:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Took my car to the dealer today for its first check-up. Told the service guy my list of problems (one of which was the noises in the car) and asked if he'd like to hear the problem for himself. "Nope, we know what that is". I was surprised at his honesty; hopefully they will use this knowledge to their advantage to fix my issue quickly.

I still don't think that I have the "popping" issue, my roof area just has a "ticking" sound (like something it stuck in the sunroof and swinging back and forth in the wind against the glass). But it's annoying, so I'm hoping they can fix it all when its in there.

Unfortunately, when I dropped the car off they took me to Enterprise and put me into a VW rental. No Jag loaner. Any idea how to make sure that doesn't happen in the future?

Old 09-19-2011, 12:35 PM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

I have been in a Volvo loaner since my engine went **** up. I don't believe there is a requirement to give you a loaner much less a Jag loaner. I believe it varies from dealer to dealer. In other cars they have just provided shuttle service. I am just happy jaguar is paying for the loaner because it was going to cost me 35 euro a day.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:37 PM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ExpatJag
I have been in a Volvo loaner since my engine went **** up. I don't believe there is a requirement to give you a loaner much less a Jag loaner. I believe it varies from dealer to dealer. In other cars they have just provided shuttle service. I am just happy jaguar is paying for the loaner because it was going to cost me 35 euro a day.
That's the least they can do in my opinion. Heck, I get a free loaner car from a small detail shop here when I want my car detailed. Jag has deeper pockets than my detail shop, so I think they should have not only given you a loaner, they should have given you a SC XJL loaner. Your engine blew up!... that would be enough reason for me to cater to you as much as I can to keep you happy and coming back to Jag. What part of "great customer service" dealers don't understand nowadays huh...? But I am glad yours is doing what's right.

Quick Reply: Popping, rattles and squeaks my brand new xjl