XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Popping, rattles and squeaks my brand new xjl

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 02:43 PM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts
Default No loaner? No Jaguar Loaner?

Not sure what to think about that. I have no general complaint about my dealer or their techs. I am getting an almost new XF loaner every time I drop my car of. I'd rather have an XJ, but for the occasional service stop that is more then fair.
But if I need to go in repeatedly to get the noises fixed that is all unacceptable. I am not a a point where I am throwing legal at Jaguar as I believe to work together on things. But that takes two to tango. Problems do happen. Can with any car. But often the key is how the problems is being handled which can be more important than the issue itself.
All I want is Jaguar and the dealer fix the problem. And with the least inconvenience to me. I owned a new 1998 XJ8 Vanden Plas for 8 years and no problems. I left Jaguar (for lack of suitable cars) and had two Mercedes CLS. No I went back to Jaguar.
Since I am not the only one with the problem it will cost Jaguar much more in the end if they won't treat their customers right. I am on the tipping point. So far I still love the car and tell people so. However, currently I am holding back. If the noise issues won't be fixed and I will have to go to the dealer over and over again I will truthfully start shareing how dissapointed I am with the car and people will blow right into the old Jaguar quality problems they remember from past decades. Hence Jaguar will loose all the work and efforts done under Ford ownership as the quality improvements of the past XJ was just starting to make Jaguar known as reliable (or better) as any other good car. It takes about 10 years for the PR perception to catch on.
If I feel they will try to "stiff me" I simply will give it to my lawyer and have him handle it and move on. Surely I won't buy a Jaguar again or recommend it to others. BUT as I said, we are not at that point whatsoever and I have no reason to believe Jaguar won't do what is right. I asked the dealer tech to elevate the matter and I will await their response and take it from there.
I still believe the car is a GREAT car otherwise but unfortunately the noise issues will overshadow all the good which is a shame. Finally a car which stands out from the crowd. But hopefully only in a positive way.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by deaddog
Guys - this seems as good a place as any to thank all of you for your candor on the roof popping issues - particularly Gears as I too was going to be serviced at Elmhurst Jag. I love the car - its everything I want in a car, fast, great stereo, great looking - but I just don't want to deal with the potential/actual quality hassles as I know the roof popping and other rattles would drive me crazy. I'm going for a used 750ix with Sport package. Maybe in a couple years I'll get the 2012 Jag if their are no reports of roof problems. Really too bad.
Hi deaddog,
I have no problem with Elmhurst Jag. Their techs and staff is doing everything they can. It's Jaguar NA I feel should provide more resources to the dealers if a customer comes with the roof issue. Knowing what I know I would have waited for the 2012. But I really liked the car as it stands out from the crowd. And otherwise I LOVE the car. Just that roof noise issue must be fixed. And Jaguar should do anything so that stupid issue won't overshadow all the good about the car.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:45 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What I still wonder is why some do some don't and what the difference might be. It does not seem to be geographical i.e. weather and temp variations. It does not seem to be VIN number.

Does everyone who has pops have 20" wheels? or 19"?

Old 09-20-2011, 10:06 AM

Dochands posts are the best. Good Point. I have a friend who bought his car, Vin in the same neighborhood, same dealership, same weather around here and so on. And he has no noise problems.
Aggrevating the problem that the noises are coming form such a multitude of identified sources. Which are sheetmetal creases stuck with paint, sun shade motor items, temp attachment pins and bolts for assembly process and more. All of which are covered in the TSB. So its not one flaw. It appears in my car front right sunroof a welded metal cross member which is part of the overall body seems to make the noise when car twists. Start chopping the car up??? I am trying not to take it too serious despite the facts that the noise are a major nuisance.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:13 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Dochands
What I still wonder is why some do some don't and what the difference might be. It does not seem to be geographical i.e. weather and temp variations. It does not seem to be VIN number.

Does everyone who has pops have 20" wheels? or 19"?
There was a popular book written in the 1960's about the US car industry. Don't remember the name, but it said not to buy a car built on a Monday or Friday. I hope that's not true here.

My 2012 should be here in the next 2-3 weeks. Can't wait to get it. My fingers are crossed that I don't have these problems.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:43 PM

Barry I remember that book. So maybe its just dumb luck but that still doesn't much help all the folks who have to suffer with shake, rattle, and roof. lol

I just hope Jag can address this issue though it does seem to be varied and pervasive for those who have it. Too bad the chop chop convertible turned out so terrible. lol

Old 09-20-2011, 08:17 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Personally, I do think it's weather related and an expansion/contraction thing between the metal rails and the glass roof. Mine just started up again after months of no problems and it has been brutally hot here in Houston. My dealer has ordered the latest TSB parts kit and will install it in a couple of weeks--see the new thread started on this by austinmartus.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Roofs have been popping, SBs issued, more popping, new SBs, shake rattle and roll, in the shop, out of the shop, back in shop, Jag gives you a new one, wow it drives great, uh-oh, now pops in this one, more SBs, here's an sonata loaner, and on and on and on.

I know someone who went through all this and he finally dumped his XJ, took a huge hit on the trade in, but he didn't care, we wanted out and will never get another Jagaur. Funny thing is, the dealer who took it off his hands took a huge hit too. Despite low miles and exceptional condition (not structual rigidity of course), it stayed for about 2 months on the lot and price kept getting lowered until some poor sap finally bought it (let's see how long before they realize there is some strange popping noise). The resale market for these bloated looking cars is a joke, few people want them, and with these problems, frankly anyone taking one in my opinion is one big SUCKER.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:11 AM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

So Roe, do you own Jaguar???????
You dont list any info about 1, and at 6 posts............

The following users liked this post:
Dochands (09-21-2011)
Old 09-21-2011, 09:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also consider that some cars could be making noises that some owners are not as sensitive to as others. I thought I had it pegged as this was happening to early VIN cars, but that's been proven wrong. Perhaps the location is the issue, I was in Texas. However, my car seemed to make more noise in the cold overall, but the roof seemed to be constant. Who knows!

Old 09-21-2011, 10:35 AM

RoeXK we know the issue but I don't need to hear that my car is a bloated looking car and its a resale loser. I hear agenda not opinion.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by hunterjah
also consider that some cars could be making noises that some owners are not as sensitive to as others. I thought i had it pegged as this was happening to early vin cars, but that's been proven wrong. Perhaps the location is the issue, i was in texas. However, my car seemed to make more noise in the cold overall, but the roof seemed to be constant. Who knows!
this has been my opinion too hj, i dont release a car until after it sits inside and gets good and cool in the ac after I fix them. The heat swells the metal too much and even cars i know from previously driving that pops. Makes the pops stop from the heat expending the metal and tighting everything up. The main popping culpits are the blind casting motors where theye attach to the crossbar in the roof. Theyre may be other noises, but nothing like these make.....and even though jaguar told us that issues are fixed on the later vins. I dont think they have agood handle yet on this issue as it seems to really be the only issue left unresolved, not from effort though.
I have friends that work at bmw, and they said they have panoramic roof on the suvs too and they have the same issues and hate them too.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:19 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i used to think it was weather related. At 800 mi on my replacement car it started to pop in very humid rainy days. I brought it in they did the fix , it came back with a veangence. It pops every day, every bump, twist and incline. I am fed up. waiting for the new Kit they promised will fix it in mid Oct.
Good luck to all I hope they fix.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:20 PM

If they get loose enough it doesnt matter the temp

Old 09-21-2011, 04:22 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Well, I hope this latest TSB does the trick--I have confidence that Jaguar is working diligently on this. They have to know that taking care of their customers is crucial. I am still in love with the car and do not consider this a fatal flaw by any means. Bloated my a**!!! All of his taste is in his mouth.

Old 09-21-2011, 04:32 PM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

You tell him HouTexJag!! Mine started popping and am going to the dealer tomorrow to see about ordering this latest fix. i've been driving around with both sun shades open and it doesn't seem to be as bad...... Don't ask me.

Old 09-21-2011, 04:48 PM

lol I wouldnt call a full size luxury sedan with an avail 500+hp engine and a svelte 4200 lbs give or take. in comparison. my old twin turbo 92 300ZX Nissan 2 seater weighed 3500 lbs. My 2005 midsized Nissan Frontier weighs 5300. Ii dont call the XJ bloated my any meens. And for a almost fully optioned car in the low $80's in the luxury class its in I dont call that bloated either on price either. no Im not in sales. I just like the car and wish that NATION wide, the roof issue would be fixed for good and people could bitch about something better like. " I hate that my reverse camera doesnt have high priority and can take up to 60seconds to come on"
(I vote to get rid of it, if you want the top to open up that much, get the XK)

Old 09-22-2011, 02:03 AM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Just like the black C/D pillars I don't think the glass roof is going away. Besides you can by Mercedes that have just as much if not more glass on the roof. And every body is going to panoramic sunroof if not the option for one. In my opinion Jaguar just implemented it badly. While I was at the Frankfurt Car Show I talked to one of the dealers and he asked a UK tech if he knew anything about it and he didn't. So either it's a weather thing or the issue is so few and in between everyone is not aware. Now if you go to Topix and look at newly released TSB you will see one for the roof popping. You can't look at it unless you buy it so I am not sure if its the October fix.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:14 AM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Oh and I sat in the BMW's with the side view camera's and thats the way to go. I don't know how many times I have been on some tight German alley inching my car out hoping I don't get hit.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by HouTexJag
Personally, I do think it's weather related and an expansion/contraction thing between the metal rails and the glass roof. Mine just started up again after months of no problems and it has been brutally hot here in Houston. My dealer has ordered the latest TSB parts kit and will install it in a couple of weeks--see the new thread started on this by austinmartus.
Well, mine started up again, too. In 3 different spots. I identified some. Front is a binding metal pop kind of thing, center is some rattling in connection to the roof shades as it only happens with shades open. And back is some clips issues of the roof liner (which I just stiffed some foam into and made it go away that way.
Worse is, that my dealer no claimed they heard no noises at all. They are starting to waste my time. They are asking me to come in (again) and drive around to show them the noises. I will.
Not sure how much weather has to do with it. I am sure it does to some point. But That alone isn't it. I am in Chicago and it is much cooler these days. My love for the car is going away as I am no getting ticked off and really annoyed. So far I was fair, working with them and for sure never resorted to badmouthing the entire car. But, sorry, I am getting ticked off now.

Quick Reply: Popping, rattles and squeaks my brand new xjl