XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Porsche owners

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 01:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche owners

I would like to get opinions from people that own/have owned/love Porsches. I know it's not apples to apples. I have two other cars and am considering upgrading my Porsche (997) to the new 991. I'm thinking if I'm getting too old (44) for a Porsche and should get something more classy. How happy are you with the XJ? Does it give you same love of a car as your Porsche? Thanks.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Not sure where this is supposed to lead. Cept at Plano.

Buy a new 918 that would be an upgrade.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

porsche and XJ are apples to oranges

i have an XJ and a G37 coupe....now its not a porsche but it is a sporty 2 seat coupe. each car is different in its own respect. the XJ is a nice comfortable cruiser, but not a small tight nimble sports coupe.......and sometimes id prefer to drive one, sometimes id prefer to drive another. but i dont think id say that the XJ could replace my need for a fun little car

the better question would be, 991 or XK

Old 01-25-2013, 04:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could test drive a short wheel base XJ Supercharged. It drives and handles almost like a small sport car and is more luxurious. This is a fun car to drive and is faster than most cars. Cars and drivers magazine tested it at 4.4 sec for a 0 to 60 mph. But his result beats most Porsches.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:01 PM

I'm not comparing performance or 0-60, here. I want to know if the XJ has soul. Is the car more than just a luxury sedan that gets you places in style? I've ridden in plenty of the old Jags growing up.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:05 PM

Yes, it does have a sense of character, a soul.
Coming from a BMW 550i GT w/ DINAN Stage II tune, I fell for the hype that BMWs are all about soul and engagement. It wasn't until I attended the DRIVE event Jaguar had that I realized what I was missing. I quickly sold the BMW, and bought my 2012 XJ S/C with Speed & Sport packs.
Based on my XJ:

Is it as engaging to drive as a Panamera? - no.
Does it exude a sense of character and style? - yes.
Not as engaging, but still rewarding to drive? - yes, I believe so.
why didn't I buy the Panamera? - I have taste.

Fifth Gear TV did a segment where Vicki Butler-Henderson test drove the XJ Supersport w/ Speed Pack. In it, she makes mention of the Panamera in comparison. (starts around 9:30 mark)

Old 01-25-2013, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by avus9
Coming from a BMW 550i GT w/ DINAN Stage II tune, I fell for the hype that BMWs are all about soul and engagement. It wasn't until I attended the DRIVE event Jaguar had that I realized what I was missing. I quickly sold the BMW, and bought my 2012 XJ S/C with Speed & Sport packs.
Based on my XJ:

Fifth Gear TV did a segment where Vicki Butler-Henderson test drove the XJ Supersport w/ Speed Pack. In it, she makes mention of the Panamera in comparison. (starts around 9:30 mark)
Fifth Gear Season 21 Episode 07 - YouTube
Thanks. This is what I was looking for.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:44 PM
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by avus9
Based on my XJ:

OMG, that Fifth Gear segment was so annoying. She seemed to decide that she was going to compare it to the Panamera, then evaluate it against the Panamera's capabilities, just so she could then find it deficient.

The XJL Supersport is definitely a car with soul. It's like a faithful horse. You know it and love it, and it does what you want it to, but every so often it surprises you. You catch a lovely detail, it blows away some other car on the road, your friends think it's amazing.

Is it a 911 substitute? No, I don't think so. They're very different cars. But that doesn't mean you couldn't have one and love it.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I definitel love my XJL SC; but, if you want to get a sports sedan that is more like a Porsche 911, you should consider the Audi RS7 that is due out soon. I enjoy driving the A7. It feels more nimble and quick than the XJL; but, the XJL combines the power of a muscle coupe and the majestic of a British sedan. With the A7 and even more so with the RS7 it will feel more like a sport coupe. The Panamera is definitely butt ugly.