XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Post delivery tinting of rear windshield and windows

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 01:06 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Post delivery tinting of rear windshield and windows

Hi all,

I'm considering tinting my rear windshield and rear windows on my lunar gray xj and would appreciate any suggestions, tips, comments or pricing info on this.

Would the process involve the removal of the rear seats?

Any pics would also be deeply appreciated.

Thanks

Old 01-14-2011, 01:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

Doubt they would need to remove the rear seats. If you find an experienced tinter, he should be able to tint the glass with very very small (if any) gaps around the edges. I just got my X350 tinted a few weeks ago and it seems like they did a great job, although I am still waiting for a few water bubbles to evaporate (car has not been out in the sun and it's been pretty chilly for the last three weeks).

Old 01-14-2011, 09:11 PM

I had my windows tinted and the rear seats do not need to be removed only the rear headrests which are easily removed and reinstalled, the rear window can be completely tinted including over the rear brake light at the bottom of the window without having to remove it, a good installer should have no problem doing this. The installer I used has a computer program with window dimensions for every car including the new xj and an automated cutter which cuts the tints to size perfectly leaving no gaps. He charged $260 for installing Ceramic tints on the front and rear windows which wont cause any interference with your radio reception or GPS reception. I recommend 20% tints which blend well with the black plastic piece by the rear window. But check with your local laws as 20% tints are illegal in some states, not too sure about tinting laws in Canada.

Last edited by MiaXfsc; 01-14-2011 at 09:43 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:03 PM

Thanks. I think will opt for ceramic tinting. My local Provincial laws only allows for 35% tinting in front windows and no restrictions with rear windows and windshield so I'll do 20% for the rears. I did some online research and found most users were happy with Huper Optik ceramic tint products. Next step is to hunt for a reliable place in the Greater Toronto Area to get this done.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree with everything mentioned above. I had my white XJL tinted all the way around with 35% as that is the max allowed in Indiana. I could've gone darker in the rear but wanted a more consistent look. I primarily did it to complement the black C pillars - I think they look odd and wanted to make them more inconspicuous. I would have accomplished my goal more successfully if I went darker - 35% doesn't quite do the trick but it still looks better. I'll post pictures soon . . .

Old 01-19-2011, 11:04 AM

Looking forward to the pics.

I forgot to ask whether tinting of the windows would require removal of the interior door panels.

Thanks

Old 01-19-2011, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Puma

I forgot to ask whether tinting of the windows would require removal of the interior door panels.

Thanks
No the Door panels do not need to be removed. The whole process is actually very simple and should take about 45 minutes.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:54 AM

Thanks
Here are some pics. Not great but the best that I'd be able to manage until at least the weekend. In the artificial lighting of the garage, the tint looks darker that it actually is. On a bright, sunny day, it's lighter and you can definitely silhouettes of the occupants. Hope this helps . . .

Attached Thumbnails Post delivery tinting of rear windshield and windows-jag-tint-rear.jpg   Post delivery tinting of rear windshield and windows-jag-tint-front.jpg  
Old 01-20-2011, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by cpuranik
Here are some pics. Not great but the best that I'd be able to manage until at least the weekend. In the artificial lighting of the garage, the tint looks darker that it actually is. On a bright, sunny day, it's lighter and you can definitely silhouettes of the occupants. Hope this helps . . .
OOOPS - trying the rear view again.

Attached Thumbnails Post delivery tinting of rear windshield and windows-053%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old 01-20-2011, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by cpuranik
OOOPS - trying the rear view again.
Thanks for sharing. It looks great.

What brand of ceramic tint did you use?

Old 01-20-2011, 04:24 PM

Thanks for sharing. It looks great.

What brand of ceramic tint did you use?
I don't know, and in fact, I'm not even sure if it is ceramic tint. The dealership had the windows tinted as part of the deal I negotiated. I didn't ask specifics beyond the shade of darkness.

Old 05-22-2011, 02:11 PM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Puma, I am on the same pursuit with the same color - Lunar Gray exterior with black interior. If you did it, can you post photos; would love to see how it looks. I intend to stay with ceramic tint, to keep radio reception as strong as possible. So, I'm considering the 3M Crystalline 50. Darkness is a matter of personal preference; my preference is to not go too dark.

thanks

Old 05-22-2011, 05:17 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

i went with 20% all way around...paid $150 non ceramic with lifetime warranty. really changed the look of the car. love the look and get many compliments on it. with the large windshield it will let more light in and the glass panel roof so consider going a little darker like i did.

Last edited by MDJag; 05-22-2011 at 05:21 PM.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:40 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

mine is 15% around not 20%...

Old 05-22-2011, 08:12 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Not wishing to get another "fix-it" ticket for tinted front windows, I opted for 35% Crystalline on the side glass (legal), and though not a big fan of mixing shades, 20% Crystalline on the backlight. The different shades isn't that obvious thanks to the black C pillar. Viewed from the side, the 35% obviously isn't that dark, but effects a neutral-density appearance. Viewed from 3/4 rear view, it appears as if all the windows are at 20%. This was a dealer installed option - did a great job, but undoubtedly overpriced.

Attached Thumbnails Post delivery tinting of rear windshield and windows-d095-rear-top-01.jpg   Post delivery tinting of rear windshield and windows-d054-front-side-01.jpg   Post delivery tinting of rear windshield and windows-d100-side-low-01.jpg   Post delivery tinting of rear windshield and windows-d197-front-side-01.jpg   Post delivery tinting of rear windshield and windows-d201-side-framed.jpg  

Post delivery tinting of rear windshield and windows-d225-side-01.jpg  
Old 05-22-2011, 10:01 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Diablo
Not wishing to get another "fix-it" ticket for tinted front windows, I opted for 35% Crystalline on the side glass (legal)
Actually, in CA no tint is allowed on the front side windows. Tint is only legal in the rear side windows and the rear window.

CHP-Frequently Asked Questions of the Highway Patrol

Even so, I have 35% in the front side windows and 18% in the rear side windows and the rear window :-)

Old 05-23-2011, 06:47 PM

Here are pics I took the day I had the ceramic tinting done as well as pics taken earlier today. All pictures were taken on cloudy days. If I recall correctly I had 40% tints on the front and rear side windows and 30% tints on the c pillar window and rear windshield. In initially wanted to go darker on the rears but chickened out.

Attached Thumbnails Post delivery tinting of rear windshield and windows-xj2.jpg   Post delivery tinting of rear windshield and windows-xj3.jpg   Post delivery tinting of rear windshield and windows-xj4.jpg   Post delivery tinting of rear windshield and windows-xj5.jpg   Post delivery tinting of rear windshield and windows-xj-1.jpg  

The following users liked this post:
bart_redline99 (06-16-2011)
Old 05-23-2011, 08:29 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Actually, in CA no tint is allowed on the front side windows. Tint is only legal in the rear side windows and the rear window
Bummer, but I guess I sort of knew that. Dealer tried to convince me that 35% Crystalline met the requirements of the 1999 exemption (for the specific purpose of reducing UV rays) - I kind of remembered that the tint had to be clear. Really gonna have to avoid the cops at all costs now; besides the tint, I'm running around with no front plates.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That changes the look and it looks even better!
I need to look at what Ohio says we can do. Great thread.
Almost a try-it before you buy-it.......
Love that!

Old 05-25-2011, 07:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Diablo
Not wishing to get another "fix-it" ticket for tinted front windows, I opted for 35% Crystalline on the side glass (legal), and though not a big fan of mixing shades, 20% Crystalline on the backlight. The different shades isn't that obvious thanks to the black C pillar. Viewed from the side, the 35% obviously isn't that dark, but effects a neutral-density appearance. Viewed from 3/4 rear view, it appears as if all the windows are at 20%. This was a dealer installed option - did a great job, but undoubtedly overpriced.
Gorgeous pics. That 35% doesn't look nearly as dark as my 35% tint, but mine (X350) has a black interior.

The new XJ definitely looks worlds better in darker colors than light colors.

Quick Reply: Post delivery tinting of rear windshield and windows