XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Power loss question

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 05:28 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Power loss question

My wife had a good question I don't know the answer to.

What happens if you lose power (have an accident, car in water, whatever), and the doors are locked, while you are in the car?

Will the car door open from the inside or outside while the car is locked if there is a loss of power?

I fear this is painfully obvious, but I don't know the answer.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Given all the crap associated with the Jag XJ's roof and to answer your question, the roof glass pops out and you crawl out the top of the car! Unless of course you're upside down...then your screwed!

Old 08-20-2011, 01:53 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The little latch on the silver lever doesn't that work?

Old 08-20-2011, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by hunterjah
Given all the crap associated with the Jag XJ's roof and to answer your question, the roof glass pops out and you crawl out the top of the car! Unless of course you're upside down...then your screwed!

I thought you would be out driving around in your AMG. Didn't you say "adios" in May?

Old 08-20-2011, 02:40 PM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by gostratusgray
I thought you would be out driving around in your AMG. Didn't you say "adios" in May?
That's funny Gostratus! i think even if the doors are locked on the inside by using the door handle they'll open without power...... I think. You probably have everybody scratching their heads.

Old 08-20-2011, 04:05 PM

Said adios to ownership, doesn't mean I'm not curious to see how the car keeps up...boy, you guys are so touchy about someone saying anything bad about the XJ. Compensating for a cantankerous car perhaps? And before all you sad sally's start bitching about people ******* your XJ, please keep in mind it was a joke.

And yes, to answer your question, I love my AMG and have driven the heck out of it (1200 miles to be exact, don't drive much). I have had a few small issues, but I'm happy with the AMG. Doesn't rattle as bad as the Jag and has a better engine...in my opinion.

Last edited by hunterjah; 08-20-2011 at 04:09 PM.
Old 08-20-2011, 06:58 PM

Said adios to ownership, doesn't mean I'm not curious to see how the car keeps up...boy, you guys are so touchy about someone saying anything bad about the XJ. Compensating for a cantankerous car perhaps? And before all you sad sally's start bitching about people ******* your XJ, please keep in mind it was a joke.

And yes, to answer your question, I love my AMG and have driven the heck out of it (1200 miles to be exact, don't drive much). I have had a few small issues, but I'm happy with the AMG. Doesn't rattle as bad as the Jag and has a better engine...in my opinion.
so your new amg rattles?
by the way how much did you get for the trade in on the jag?
I too am thinking about adios.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:54 PM

My new AMG had a noise coming from the rear sun shade on the deck lid, but it was fixed by the dealer as an adjustment. Other than that, it's been a peach. Had the dealer scuff a wheel, but they fixed it and I'm getting some after market rims anyway.

Regarding my trade, the dealer made me whole offering what I owed on the trade and knocked enough off the C63 (roughly $10k) to make it worth the effort. The dealer has Jag, Benz, Porsche, Rolls, Bentley, Maserati etc. so there were a few cars to choose from. They were willing to put me in another XJ, but I passed.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:03 AM

I presume that you could just pull the handle to open the door and that would unlock and open it at the same time even with the power off, but it freaked the wife out when she thought of this, and I'm trying to reassure her.

Everyone's opinions are welcome, of course, but as a prospective owner I was very much intimidated by all of the "rattles, pops, and electoronics, oh my!" posts that I saw here when I was contemplating my XJ purchase. I understand that was a significant issue for some, and I am very sorry to hear that, but I decided to put those issue aside and take the plunge on a SC XJL, anyway.

I'm really glad I did, months and thousands of miles later. The cabin is very quiet, nary a squeak, pop, or rattle. I very much enjoy my new car, and am glad I got past the complaints on this board and made the purchase I did. (It may also help that my VIN is well above 15000). Like many others have posted, it can be a bit irritating to logon to this forum to further the enjoyment of my amazing car and I see that many, and sometimes it seems, the majority of threads are rehashing the same old issues over and over. Anyone is welcome to say whatever they wish about anything. I was just a bit disappointed to see an "OMG the car makes noises" complaint it show up in my very straightforward door-unlock question thread. But that's ok, too.

Old 08-21-2011, 01:20 PM

My new AMG had a noise coming from the rear sun shade on the deck lid, but it was fixed by the dealer as an adjustment. Other than that, it's been a peach. Had the dealer scuff a wheel, but they fixed it and I'm getting some after market rims anyway.

Regarding my trade, the dealer made me whole offering what I owed on the trade and knocked enough off the C63 (roughly $10k) to make it worth the effort. The dealer has Jag, Benz, Porsche, Rolls, Bentley, Maserati etc. so there were a few cars to choose from. They were willing to put me in another XJ, but I passed.
thanks
good luck im thinking of getting rid of mine

Old 08-21-2011, 02:11 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Back on topic (I, too, wonder why certain individuals want to turn every post on this forum into a roof popping complaint or some other negative comment).

I sat in my car and locked the doors with the fob (ignition off). I then pulled the door handle and the door unlocked and opened, but the alarm went off until I stopped it by pushing the unlock button on the fob. The inside door handles are mechanical devices and unlock and open the doors whether of not there is power on.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:38 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The inner door handles are mechanical. They should open. I do carry one of those little hammers in all my vehicles in case of some incident when the windows won't open and I need to get out.

And my necks pops sometimes but then I see a chiropractor.