XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Programming Garage Door Opener

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2021, 12:01 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Programming Garage Door Opener

I just acquired a 2016 XJL and am attempting to get the onboard garage door opener to work. Have tried holding the door opener remote close to the rear view mirror and pressing both the car and opener buttons. Car LED flashes fast, but then the garage door does not work when pressing the car button. Also tried this 3 times as noted in owners manual.

Also tried by going to the main garage door opener & pressing the learn button and then pressing the car button within the 30 sec time - car LED flashes fast. Car button still will not open the door.

I'm wondering if the basic problem is one of frequency compatibility - the garage door opener uses a frequency of 390 Mhz - there are no dip switches in the remote.

Does anyone have any advice on how to make the car onboard unit open the door?

TIA, Joe

Old 01-24-2021, 12:05 PM

Forgot to include - garage door opener is Lift Master

Old 01-24-2021, 02:47 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a genie opener and have the same problem as you do. Would like to hear some advice on making it work.

Old 01-24-2021, 06:33 PM
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Try step 1 if you have not done so, then the remaining steps.

Process:

Program a Garage Door Opener

Vehicle:

2016 Jaguar XJ
  1. For first time training, press and hold the two outer HomeLink® buttons, releasing only when the HomeLink indicator light begins to flash after 20 seconds. (Do not perform this step when training the additional HomeLink buttons.)
  2. Position the hand-held transmitter 1-3 inches away from the HomeLink surface (usually located on your visor, overhead console, or mirror), keeping the HomeLink indicator light in view.
  3. Using both hands, simultaneously press and hold both the desired HomeLink button and hand held transmitter button. DO NOT release until the HomeLink indicator light flashes slowly and then rapidly. When the indicator light flashes rapidly, both buttons may be released. (The rapid flashing indicates successful training.)
  4. Press and hold the trained HomeLink button and observe the indicator light.
    • If the indicator light is solid/continuous, training is complete and your device should activate when the HomeLink button is pressed and released.
    • If the indicator light blinks rapidly for 2 seconds and then turns a solid/continuous light, proceed with the following training instructions for a rolling code device. A second person may make the following steps quicker and easier. Please use a ladder or other device. Do not stand on your vehicle to perform the next steps.
  5. At the receiver (motor head unit), locate the “learn” or “smart” button (usually near where the hanging antenna wire is attached to the unit). If there is difficulty locating the training button, reference the device owner’s manual.
  6. Press and release the “learn” or “smart” button (the name and color of the button may vary by manufacturer). NOTE: Once the button is pressed, there are 30 seconds in which to initiate the next step.
  7. Return to the vehicle and firmly press and hold the trained HomeLink button for two seconds and release. Repeat the “press/hold/release” sequence up to 3 times to complete the training process.
Retain the original hand-held transmitter of the RF device you are programming for use in other vehicles, as well as for future HomeLink programming. It is also suggested that upon the sale of the vehicle, the programmed HomeLink buttons be erased for security purposes. To erase the programmed buttons, perform the procedure shown in step number 1.

The following 4 users liked this post by tjankovs:
CptChaos (10-14-2021), Daneel227 (08-02-2021), Na5h (10-14-2021), Solarfish (06-21-2021)
Old 01-24-2021, 07:56 PM

Just tried Step 1 - but no good luck. Still cannot make the garage door move.

I also tried programming the other 2 buttons just in case something was wrong with button 1 - again, no good luck.

Does anyone know the frequency that the car transmits on? I do know my Lift Master is expecting to receive
on 390 Mhz.

Old 01-24-2021, 08:26 PM

The homelink remote is a learning remote capable of outputting multiple frequencies and code formats. I assume the transmitter you are learning into it operates the door?

https://support.partner.liftmaster.c...-1480438328227

If you opener is SEC+ you will need to do steps 5-6.

TJ

Last edited by tjankovs; 01-24-2021 at 08:32 PM.
Old 01-25-2021, 07:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

I had the same issue with my XJ and in both my homes (one had Genie and the other Liftmaster) I installed the Homelink Repeater Kit and it permanently resolved the communications issue. Do a search on it and it may have several different models, but all should work and they are around $40. the unit will allow you to operate all the garage doors at you home. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICJE...ature=youtu.be

The following users liked this post:
ABrice (01-25-2021)
Old 01-25-2021, 08:06 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Just double checking the obvious. Does your remote open the garage door? I mistakenly cleared the code from my remote and had to first re pair that to the opener. After that was was done I was able to successfully pair the home link opener. Hope that helps. Good luck!

Old 01-26-2021, 06:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,354 Likes on 1,854 Posts

Yes it's called the Homelink Compatibility Bridge. I have installed several of these and your issue matched what I ran into.
They are pretty cheap too. About $25.
Homelink Compatibility Bridge

Old 01-27-2021, 11:20 AM

Thanks tjankovs - I did do steps 5 & 6 which fixed the problem. Previously, I had not been doing these steps thinking that if HomeLink had
"learned" the old remote transmitter, that would be enough. Obviously not the case!

I actually programmed all 3 buttons on HomeLink to open the garage door - I have no other need for these. All is good now.

Old 01-28-2021, 05:35 PM

Great news....glad we could get it working! Beware the GDO has a limited number of slots for saved transmitter buttons and is a FIFO...meaning adding new devices can push out working transmitters if the space is full.

Last edited by tjankovs; 01-28-2021 at 05:39 PM. Reason: extra info
Old 06-21-2021, 03:53 PM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Question

tjankovs, I have had the same problem programming my Liftmasters door opener to the 2016 XJs HomeLink button. You say in step 7 to "Repeat the “press/hold/release” sequence up to 3 times to complete the training process." To clarify: would this be a three-times repeat of steps 6 & 7? Where we press and release the learn button on the motor then the appropriate button in the vehicle?

Old 06-21-2021, 08:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jbm417
Thanks tjankovs - I did do steps 5 & 6 which fixed the problem. Previously, I had not been doing these steps thinking that if HomeLink had
"learned" the old remote transmitter, that would be enough. Obviously not the case!.
I found the same thing, it looked like Homelink had learned the code at step 4 (solid light when tested) but I had to go through the other steps before it worked. Now have buttons 1+2 opening my two garage doors.

Thanks tjankovs

Old 06-22-2021, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Na5h
tjankovs, I have had the same problem programming my Liftmasters door opener to the 2016 XJs HomeLink button. You say in step 7 to "Repeat the “press/hold/release” sequence up to 3 times to complete the training process." To clarify: would this be a three-times repeat of steps 6 & 7? Where we press and release the learn button on the motor then the appropriate button in the vehicle?
Just repeat step 7.

TJ

Old 06-27-2021, 08:14 AM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

tjankovs,

I did, and it still did not work for me. As a last ditch effort, so I wouldn't have to carry a separate remote, I went to the opener and pressed the 'learn' button and within 30 seconds pressed the choice button (1,2 or 3) in the car and it worked!

Ken Dreger (08-01-2021)
Old 07-28-2021, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

definitely struggling a bit with this one.

while car is in accessory mode:
- clear the homelink memory
- press and hold mirror button 1 + garage remote control
....no luck...have to do rolling code programming
- press the learn button on garage door (not the garage motor)
- press mirror button 1 (no garage remote control)
- did the cycle 3 times (going to garage door control, pressing learn, coming back to mirror and press/hold mirror button 1)

the thing is, the garage lights will blink 2 (chaimberlain garage door)...so its recognizing something? Am i supposed to be pressing the learn button on the garage motor (versus garage door control)

Ken Dreger (08-01-2021)
Old 07-28-2021, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

carzaddict ---see my post #7 here as you will need to add the homelink repeater unit.

Old 07-30-2021, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by carzaddict
definitely struggling a bit with this one.

while car is in accessory mode:
- clear the homelink memory
- press and hold mirror button 1 + garage remote control
....no luck...have to do rolling code programming
- press the learn button on garage door (not the garage motor)
- press mirror button 1 (no garage remote control)
- did the cycle 3 times (going to garage door control, pressing learn, coming back to mirror and press/hold mirror button 1)

the thing is, the garage lights will blink 2 (chaimberlain garage door)...so its recognizing something? Am i supposed to be pressing the learn button on the garage motor (versus garage door control)

For the last step #7 you press, hold and release the desired button on the visor three times.

Ken Dreger (08-01-2021)
Old 07-31-2021, 02:23 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I did ours today in the heat here in TEXAS, took 3-4 tries but it finally worked. First time I did it the unit undid our Infinity! So I ended up doing both cars again....

Old 07-31-2021, 08:44 PM

Glad it worked....the rolling code technology needs multiple transmissions to create a secure link. The older tech is is vulnerable to replay attacks. It is slightly cumbersome but you can be assured no one else can access your operator.

Ken Dreger (08-01-2021)

Quick Reply: Programming Garage Door Opener