XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Questions on XJL

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 06:10 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Questions on XJL

I am thinking of buying a used XJL - 2011-2013. I have a few questions on which I was hoping to get your opinions -

1. I really want the Supercharged model, but how is the performance of the V6 in comparison? Is the V6 adequate even is the car is loaded with a family and luggage?

2. How is the reliability of the XJL's?

3. How does the non-AWD handle in less than ideal situations - snow, wet?

4. Is there anything you know now that you wish you had known before you bought one?

Thanks a lot.
James

Old 10-19-2015, 07:59 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

James, I think I can help you out here.

1) for the year cars that you are looking at, most are going to have the V8 except for the 2013's which only a few are going to have the V6. The V6 is rated at 340 hp where the naturally aspirated V8 is at 385. So, if you are merely after a cruiser to get out on the highway and click off miles at 70 mph, then you won't see any difference. If you want some performance coming off of the line or to pass, then you may find that the V6 will be lacking compared to the V8's. Not to say that it won't be able to do what you need. But, if you want the added assurance, the V8 is the only way to go. Having the N/A V8, I will tell you that it has more than enough power to do what you want. The big thing that pushed me towards the V8 is longevity. While the V6 makes almost the same power in a smaller engine, the parts are being pushed closer to limits when you compare the same parts in the V8. I plan on owning my car for many, many years. So, how it will be 15 years from now is important to me.

2) the car has been noted as being #2 in reliability by many organizations. So, while you tend to hear a lot of negatives here, overall the car is being seen as a very reliable car.

3) as for adverse weather conditions, I cannot speak to that. I haven't had a chance to experience my car in less than ideal conditions. Keep in mind that the car has a winter mode which will help limit the engine power and ensure you keep traction for as long as possible. This is one of those cases where the V6 may be better in that because you have less power, it is going to help you from not spinning the tires. Hopefully others will have some more info for you. I am more of a believer that a car can only do but so much and that the true snow driving ability is a function of the tires that are on the car and how versed the driver is in bad weather.

4) INformation overload. This car is going to toss lots of information at you. It can be overwhelming at first. That was something that I found interesting. But, with time I have grown to accept it. The other thing is the Nav system. While the information it gives you is accurate, I think it is way too intrusive. It might be I don't have it set up to my liking yet. But, it doesn't tell me how long to my next turn but will tell me every exit between where I am and the next hundred miles (ok, overstatement, but you get the idea). It also likes to find alternate routes and asks you if you want to take the alternate route because it is seeing you in traffic. On my last trip, I found myself bouncing between the 4 mile view and the 1/4 mile views as the 4 mile view gave me the ability to see when my next turn was going to be without constant intrusions (can't show you points of interest with views over 1/2 mile) and then I would switch to the 1/4 view as I got close to get the detail to know what exit I needed (doesn't tell you to take exit ..... or follow highway .....), just a dot on the map that tells you that you need to turn. Some people use other Nav systems just because they find this one very difficult to use. I also tend to keep the voice off as it will tell you every exit that you are passing. Gets a little old after awhile of driving.

The other oddity I found recently was during the oil change. You have to drop a 5x5 foot plastic panel from under the engine to do an oil change. There is no access port to do an oil change. So, this is going to add say a half hour to the oil change experience since you have to remove about 15 bolts to get the plate out of your way.

The following 2 users liked this post by Thermo:
JamesTX (10-19-2015), retriever-007 (10-19-2015)
Old 10-19-2015, 08:20 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
James, I think I can help you out here.

1) for the year cars that you are looking at, most are going to have the V8 except for the 2013's which only a few are going to have the V6. The V6 is rated at 340 hp where the naturally aspirated V8 is at 385. So, if you are merely after a cruiser to get out on the highway and click off miles at 70 mph, then you won't see any difference. If you want some performance coming off of the line or to pass, then you may find that the V6 will be lacking compared to the V8's. Not to say that it won't be able to do what you need. But, if you want the added assurance, the V8 is the only way to go. Having the N/A V8, I will tell you that it has more than enough power to do what you want. The big thing that pushed me towards the V8 is longevity. While the V6 makes almost the same power in a smaller engine, the parts are being pushed closer to limits when you compare the same parts in the V8. I plan on owning my car for many, many years. So, how it will be 15 years from now is important to me.
Those years also have the Supercharged V8 which, at 470 HP, I assume is night and day. Amazing how 385 hp doesn't sound like enough, when there is a 485 hp option available!

Originally Posted by Thermo
2) the car has been noted as being #2 in reliability by many organizations. So, while you tend to hear a lot of negatives here, overall the car is being seen as a very reliable car.
What are the areas that some people think are unreliable - Supercharged engines over N/A?

Thanks.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:28 PM
Location: Mooresville, NC (Race City USA), home of most NASCAR teams.
Received 481 Likes on 368 Posts

From an engineering point of view, yes supercharging an engine does stress it out more, therefore shortening engine life. Secondly, the supercharger itself is another mechanism to wear out that the naturally aspirated engine doesn't have, so it represents significantly higher maintenance costs. Thirdly, the supercharger adds weight to the front end which destroys the almost perfect 50/50 weight distribution of the XJ, thus compromising the car's handling, braking and fuel economy. So the question is, does the initial price penalty, plus increased maintenance costs, decreased handing, plus increased taxes, depreciation, fuel consumption and insurance costs justify the 22% greater horsepower increase? Its your choice.

Last edited by johndahlheimer; 10-19-2015 at 08:38 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by johndahlheimer:
JamesTX (10-19-2015), retriever-007 (10-22-2015)
Old 10-19-2015, 09:21 PM
Location: Mooresville, NC (Race City USA), home of most NASCAR teams.
Received 481 Likes on 368 Posts

Also, the Jaguar navigation system isn't worth updating or using. Get a Garmin dash top unit; it is far superior in every way.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

James,

I recommend the 2013, since it is the first year for the 8-speed transmission. My XJ has the 5.0L SC 470HP engine and the huge low-end torque lets me drive around town below 1500 rpm most of the time and get over 15 mpg city (thanks to the 8-speed and stop-start feature). Not bad for such a powerful engine. Do you need 470HP? Of course not, but drive one and you'll get hooked on the exhilarator pedal!

People who drive the XJ want more than just transportation. I think all of us want style, comfort, and quality but different circumstances (climate, distance driven daily, driving style and other priorities) is why Jaguar offers a variety of engines, models, and options including AWD/RWD. There's no "one size fits all" XJ.

It took me over 6 months to find the CPO XJ in the colors and with the options (almost all - adaptive cruise is rare) I wanted, and it was in another state. Test drive several XJs and then decide which engine/drivetrain is best for your needs and the colors and options you want.

Good luck with your quest!

Stuart

The following users liked this post:
retriever-007 (10-22-2015)