Quick Intro and Question on Tire/Wheel Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 11:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick Intro and Question on Tire/Wheel Insurance

Hello Ladies & Gents,

My intro post his here for a quick background:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/n...8/#post1533112

Very excited to be picking up a 2016 XJ R-Sport next week. Had a great sales experience from Prestige Jaguar in Paramus NJ.
My particular car is a Ultimate Black with Oyster/Ivory combination. This car is pretty loaded as standard, so did not feel the need to add any options.

One question I did have was if the tire/insurance package is something to consider. Coming from a BMW with low profile tires and runflats this was not a bad option due to many air bubbles and a tendency for bends in the Msport wheels.
In the XJ I have the standard 19 inch Aleutian wheels. These are not as low profile as I had on my BMW and plus the tires are non-RFTs. So I am assuming less issues occur with this combination.
If anyone has experiences to the contrary on not so great roads that would be appreciated, right now I am leaning towards not going with the insurance.
Cheers
Kay

Old 09-11-2016, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Congratulations on the new car and welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll love it!

I have the 20inch Jag Selena wheels on my XF and I certainly found them to be prone to issues. Tyres can easily be damaged but more importantly the wheels are very soft (and exposed given the small sidewalls) so they have easily been bent. And that's just from daily driving not from a kerb or issue like that

What does the insurance cover? If it's just tyres I would probably pass. But if it covers wheels and it multi year I would probably take it. Be careful to check it includes damage like potholes, bending etc

With the 19inch you have a bit more protection so maybe not as serious. But good for peace of mind

Enjoy the new car!

Old 09-11-2016, 04:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BritCars
Congratulations on the new car and welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll love it!

I have the 20inch Jag Selena wheels on my XF and I certainly found them to be prone to issues. Tyres can easily be damaged but more importantly the wheels are very soft (and exposed given the small sidewalls) so they have easily been bent. And that's just from daily driving not from a kerb or issue like that

What does the insurance cover? If it's just tyres I would probably pass. But if it covers wheels and it multi year I would probably take it. Be careful to check it includes damage like potholes, bending etc

With the 19inch you have a bit more protection so maybe not as serious. But good for peace of mind

Enjoy the new car!
Thanks! Yes I guess it depends on how soft these wheels are. The policy includes wheels as well. I should probably check the details around coverage for potholes etc and any exclusions.

Old 09-11-2016, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Over the past 4 years on the XF forum (car is similar weight and uses many of the same wheels) those of us with the R and SC models with the 20inch wheels have had a lot of issues with wheels appearing very soft and easily bent. Far fewer issues with the 19inch. So hopefully yours will be ok