XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

R-Sport vs Portfolio

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 10:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R-Sport vs Portfolio

Hi all. I'm new to the forum and in the market for a new short wheelbase XJ (coming out of a Mercedes S550 lease). I apologize if this has been covered but I couldn't find it in a search of the forum.

What exactly are the differences between the R-Sport and the Portfolio other than the quilted seats, headliner, grill and wheels?

The R-Sport msrp is about $4000 less and I'm not a huge fan of the the quilted Portfolio seats (and it appears that the more adjustable / massaging seats can be ordered as a stand-alone option in the R-Sport for about $2000). In fact, I quite like the contrast piping on the R-Sport seat.

The specs at the back of the brochure are not at all clear and I'm not sure if I'm misinterpreting them. Is the Portfolio dash covered in leather but the R-Sport in simulated leather??? And does the Portfolio have leather on the doors where the R-Sport does not?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:32 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

R-Sport has a Front and rear Lip, lower side valence and the Ivory headliner.

The Portfolio can have the black headliner, executive package and a few chrome odds and ends to class up the cabin. Nicer seats are just the starting point.

Old 10-05-2017, 04:50 AM

Thanks - I guess that's my question, though. What are the contents of the executive package and what, specifically, are the odds and ends that make the cabin nicer?

And is there a way to get both the exterior treatment of the R-Sport and the nicer interior finishing of the Portfolio?

Old 10-05-2017, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

The difference is more than the interior. The "R" Sport is the standard wheel base (SWB) and the Portfolio is available only on the long wheel base (LWB).

Old 10-05-2017, 12:17 PM

Thanks. Both are available as short wheelbase in Canada. And there is no specific executive package here.

In the brochure, it would appear that the R-Sport has extended rocker panels, rear lip and a blacked out grill. The Portfolio gets the quilted seats with more function, a suede headliner and different but same-size wheels. And then there is this mention of a fancier interior for which I'm having trouble finding specifics.

Quilted seats aside, does the Portfolio interior look much nicer than the R-Sport???

Old 10-05-2017, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

Hard choices. Personally I would pick the Portfolio and do the ebony interior with the wood/leather steering wheel, Gloss figured Ebony, Illumination Pack, 360 park distance control, and Surround camera system. That is a more stately XJ, but the R-Sport is more sporty, but I'm not a fan of the seating piping. I'm spoiled as my XJ is comparable to what is now known in other parts of the world as the autobiography model and it came with every option except the Adaptive cruise control that I did not want. It's great that in Canada the standard audio is the Meridian 825 watt system. IMHO putting the 1300 watt system in a SWB is way overkill as the 825 watt system is totally awesome and I can get it never runs out of volume and clarity.