XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Radio screen froze on new car

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 11:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Radio & Nav screen froze on new car Hi Vin Car

Just got a replacement over a week ago and the radio froze, no stations worked on my way to work, I was frustrated as this happened on my previous one.
It came back after I hit satellite , than switched back to radio. It happened 2x already. The 2nd time the automatic mirrors didn't work, I locked it than unlocked it with the key fob and it worked again, than had the same issue with the radio.
I than tried the navigation it said initializing the same exact issue everyone here is complaining about it was a flashback from my old car. After I arrived at work it came back on and everything has been functioning since.
Could it be the Bluetooth interfering? I notice sometimes it's hard for the bt to connect and maybe freezing the electronics.
Any one still having this experience with the high vin cars?

Last edited by jcamp; 02-23-2011 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Changed title
The following users liked this post:
gears (02-26-2011)
Old 02-23-2011, 10:33 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a hi 15000 vin

Old 02-26-2011, 02:19 AM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

Bluetooh causes my sound to cut out on occassion. Just for a second or so. Trywithout bt phone on and see what happens

Old 03-03-2011, 09:10 PM
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

you may need to have a hard reset done and the MOST network re-synced. If this was not done properly before the car was handed over to you or after any touch screen updates were done the lock up may occur.

If you don't want to go to the dealer you could attempt this yourself if you feel comfortable disconnecting the battery.

Disconnect battery negative cable (10mm socket)

wait 2 minutes

reconnect battery cable in one clean motion no sparks

check operation of radio
-----if ok goto next step
-----if still locked up a hard fault is present and you need to goto dealer

lock doors and move key more than 12 feet away

wait at least 10 minutes

unlock car and start and let idle for at least 2 minutes

lock car and move key away

wait 10 minutes

then check operations of radio -- should be working properly

at this point you will need to re-learn one-touch windows - hold window switches up a couple times audible click head then roll down, hold until audible click is heard.

relearn parking brake - hold brake pedal down and cycle parking brake once up then down
reset date and time
reset radio stations
set navigation search area

good luck, hope it fixes it.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2011 Sound System Freezes

Having a similar problem - brand new - all sound will go out and Nav just says initializing. Have to shut down the car for an hour for it to come back. Dealer is trying to say it is related to bluetooth and/or Ipod hookup but it has happened with nothing plugged in and nothing paired.

System has been "reloaded" at the dealer once.

I'm ready to return the vehicle...this would never have happened on the mercedes I traded in.

Any solutions?

MJ

Old 02-28-2012, 09:57 AM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Yep go back to mercedes, everyone knows theyre problem free
take back and have a genrad tester hooked up to the battery and test for proper voltage and cranking amps.
cranking amps are very important and most do not test cranking amp cap of battery. if lower than specd it drops voltage to low and can corupt startup files and preoper module operation. just like you laptop or desktop, arent all these computers great!!!!
Im working on another crashed laptop at owrk since both my laptops and desktop crashed. got one back, desktop has bootkit issues and working through other laptop. which is okay since all the Jags are working great in Houston and Im out of work again. Nice to have a job and not make money

Last edited by Brutal; 02-28-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:01 PM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Hi Brutal,

I'm not a technician on cars, but my question is, is the problem the OP posted related to a faulty battery then? What would be causing the battery to fail on a fairly new car?

Old 02-29-2012, 05:13 PM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

IT CAN BE, BATTERIES LIKE ALL OTHER PARTS ARE NOT ALWAYS GOOD EVEN NEW OR FRESH OUT OF THE BOX. THEYRE RATED AT 800CCA, AND IF THEY FALL BELOW THAT VOLTAGE DROPS DOWN AND RECOVERY FROM START IS SLOW AND WITH ALL THE CONTROL MODULES (OVER 35) THEY NEED CLEAN UNINTERUPTED POWER. WHEN I TEST AND FIND A FIALED BATTERY, I ALSO TEST THE NEW ONE TOO, 1 OUT OF 10 MAYBE WILL FAIL TOO. GENERALLY ITS LOW CRANKING AMP. JAGUAR IS VERY INCESANT(sp) ABOUT USING A GENRAD TESTER TO FULLY TEST BATTERIES. NOT JUST THE RUN OF THE MILL AT AN AUTOPARTS STORE OR GENERAL AUTO SHOP.
NOW THERE IS ALSO A REFLASH FOR THIS UNIT WHICH HE SAID THEY ALREADY PERFORMED, 1ST STEP IN THIS PROCESS PER JAGUAR. IE THEY WANT THIS DONE FIRST AND THEN IF THERES ANOTHER ISSUE AND YOU NEED TO REPLACE THE UNIT YOU HAVE TO FILL OUT ELECTRONIC PAPER WORK WITHTEST PERFORMED, REFLASHES, SIFTWARE SUED ETC AND THEY WILL OR WILL NOT GIVE PERMISSION TO REPLACE OR OTHER THING DONE BEFORE REPLACEMENT. DONT GO THOUGHT THIER PROPER PROCEEDURES FOR REPAIR, FINE. THEY DEPBIT THE ENTIRE CLAIM FOR THAT RO(REPAIR ORDER) NOT JUST THAT REPAIR. SO AS USUAL ITS NOT JUST A CUT AND DRY FIRST TIME REPAIR ALWAYS AS IS LIFE

Old 03-12-2012, 02:30 PM

Latest update - they had my car for another 4 days and actually witnessed the problem. Flushed the whole system and reloaded. Picked it up on Friday. On Sunday, after getting gas, when the car was turned back on, there was no audio, no nav and the backup camera stopped working. Unless Jaguar does something dramatic, i will have to go Lemon Law as this is the third time the car has been in since I bought it 6 weeks ago.

I love the car but have no faith that it won't be a problem child.

Old 04-17-2013, 04:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hate to wake up an old thread, but what was your outcome? Did they finally solve your problem?

Old 04-18-2013, 04:34 AM
Default Audio lock up resolution

After threatening to go lemon law and return the car, they brought it back in for some exhaustive testing. I actually walked through the issue with the regional service rep and that finally got someone to understand how to test for the issue.

They had a donor car set up and moved my components over one at a time and would drive it around until they saw a failure. This took almost three weeks but it ended up being something they referred to as the audio harness which is like the hub where the various electronic devices come together.

Jaguar did right by me and made two payments on my behalf and I had a replacement during the outage. Sill inconvenient but appreciated.

The following users liked this post:
ggogins (04-18-2013)
Old 04-18-2013, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by mosticks
After threatening to go lemon law and return the car, they brought it back in for some exhaustive testing. I actually walked through the issue with the regional service rep and that finally got someone to understand how to test for the issue.

They had a donor car set up and moved my components over one at a time and would drive it around until they saw a failure. This took almost three weeks but it ended up being something they referred to as the audio harness which is like the hub where the various electronic devices come together.

Jaguar did right by me and made two payments on my behalf and I had a replacement during the outage. Sill inconvenient but appreciated.
This is a stand-up thing from Jaguar. Glad to see they not only fixed your car but actually compensated you and provided a replacement vehicle.

Excellent customer service.