XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

rattle in overhead console

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 06:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rattle in overhead console

I have a 2016 XJ-L and it has a rattle in the overhead console.anyone know of a fix?

Old 11-23-2016, 09:08 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,927 Likes on 3,224 Posts

carguy66, the noise can possibly be coming from 2 locations. The more likely one is from the forward sunroof. This has been a problem that has plagued the X351 since it came to market. The other possibility is that you are getting some movement between the rear sunroof and the seal that keeps the water out. The service manual has a procedure to do to the rear sunroof that applies some lubricant to the joint of the glass and rubber seal that allows the two to slide past each other and get rid of the noise. A member was able to use some WD-40 and spray it along the seal for the rear sunroof and get the noise to stop on his car.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:17 PM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

It took Jag almost six months to figure out where the rattle was coming from... finally they took the entire roof apart and found one lone screw that had come loose that was causing the noise.

One. Small. Screw.

That was XJ #2. The first one had a similar rattling issue too, but that was unrelated and I forget what was wrong in that instance. XJ #3 doesn't have any rattling, yet, that I know of.

Old 12-02-2016, 03:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just asked my dealer about the rattle/thunk when you go over a bump. Was told it is a known problem and to fix they have to drop the roof liner and add lock tight to the mounting screws/bolts for the forward sunroof. Said it would be expensive to fix. Also, discovered that the 2013 I have hass a "floating roof" and that water does actively leak at the seams and there are channels to runoff the water to the wheel wells.