XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

REALLY weird stuff happening electrically 2012 XJL-SC

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 08:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default REALLY weird stuff happening electrically 2012 XJL-SC

Last week Thursday my Nav/phone system completely locked up. After this happened I kept getting "low battery" warning.

Dropped off at dealership... they said they couldn't fix the Nav/phone so they had to order an entire new system. They also said my battery tested normal and they just charged it.

Parked the car Thurs night, went to drive it Saturday and the battery was totally dead. I had to charge through the bonnet charging points to open the trunk and then jump start the car.

Once the car fired up the Nav system is all working again.. I think it simply needed a hard reboot. BUT now after gaining power back...

Right rear window will not operate, sunroof will not operate (mine is stuck open at the moment) and my car will not lock properly... when you lock it the mirrors no longer fold in and the horn beeps twice at you.

Any thoughts? I think one or all of these problems was maybe shorting the electrical system which thus drained the battery to zero?

For 2 days now since charged it the battery is absolutely fine - no more low battery warnings.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:55 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry you're having so many problems with your XJ. One thing you may want to check is to see if your hood is fully closed. There is one central locking mechanism but there are rods on the right and left of the hood before the headlight enclosures that will also lock into place. Sometimes only one of them will catch and the hood may look skewed to one side.

The horn will beep twice generally if there is something left open and to the best of my knowledge there is no "hood open" warning on the display.

As for the other problems, I am also constantly getting the "battery low - please start engine" warning, and have had intermittent electrical glitches. They usually seem to resolve themselves on their own in a few days, but you may want to head to the dealer and see what's going on.

Old 06-06-2016, 01:40 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

TO prove the operation of the side mirrors, if you look on the driver's door arm rest, you have the two buttons for selecting the left and right mirrors. Press both of them at the same time. Do the mirrors fold in now? If yes, then all you are seeing is the car is noting that something is not closed and therefore honks the horn twice at you to tell you that something is not closed and this leads to the doors not locking and the mirrors not following the door locking sequence. If the mirrors do not fold in, then you have another issue.

From the sounds of things, your battery went dead because the car sensed something not being closed and therefore it kept the car "awake" which will drain the battery like you saw. ONly when all doors are shut does the car go to sleep (as I understand things).

Old 06-06-2016, 04:33 PM
MHT
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Also note that when the battery goes dead and is recharged, often times there is a reset that has to be done to get widows, sunroof and a few other things to operate properly.

Old 06-07-2016, 04:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 362 Posts

You could try resetting your sun roof by turning the ignition on and holding the open switch for around a minute (I think it is 45 seconds, but I can't remember exactly). It should then fully open and fully close.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:19 PM
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Suggest 2 things: 1) always lock this automobile when you get out; and, 2) have you come upon any advice re these issues in the manual?
I've noticed more people who have dead battery issues because they are not locking their automobile. Hope this info is helpful.

Old 06-09-2016, 01:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,245 Likes on 1,361 Posts

It is your battery...you might want to check the XK (X150) forum where you will find that all manner of electronic gremlins is caused on these modern Jags (and every other luxury make) because they require full voltage from the battery at all times; when the voltage drops ( infrequent use or short trips insufficient to fully charge the battery) you can get random warning lights, window, door seat and touch screen issues etc. In every case it is the battery. For this reason Jaguar, Mercedes, Audi, Maserati, BMW, Range Rover, Bentley and others all market the Swedish CTEK battery maintainer under their own brands (at an inflated price). The solution is to fit the CTEK permanently and simply plug it in when the car is not in use. The result is a fully charged battery always and zero issues. And yes, lock the car to shut systems down quickly - otherwise you have a prolonged battery drain.

Old 06-09-2016, 02:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by a6kmita

The horn will beep twice generally if there is something left open and to the best of my knowledge there is no "hood open" warning on the display.
My car does, indeed, have a "hood open" warning on the display. Mine's a year older than the one the original poster has, but I'm guessing they are the same.

Dwayne