XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Reduced Performance P0235, P1247, P00BD, P006A fault finding

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2020, 03:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Reduced Performance P0235, P1247, P00BD, P006A fault finding

Hello,
Hoping someone here can help before I spends obscene amounts of money on what could may be a simple fix.

My car (2011 XJ 3.0D) had been sat for the last 2 weeks (no issues prior). Went to drive it yesterday evening and 100 metres up the road Reduced Performance came on the dash. There was no obvious reduction in power (I was doing under 30 mph) until I got into a 40 zone where it was more sluggish. Completed my 4 mile journey and when I returned to the car all was well for the first mile then restricted performance again, this time with the engine management light also so coached it home.

Plugged in my OBDII reader which gave P0235, P00BD and P006A fault codes. Removed the MAF sensors and cleaned with Isopropyl Alcohol. Refitted, cleared the codes and the fault came back again within 100 metres. Cleaned the MAP sensor which was filthy, covered in black sticky dirt. Ensured the rods on the EGR valves moved freely and completed a visual inspection on the inlet pipes (as best I could without removing them all). Another test drive brought up the previous fault codes and also P1247. There was a shuddering at low revs (below 1500) which went away as speed increased.

I took the car for another run with a plan of a quick run down the motorway to get the engine hot, charge the battery a bit and see what happened at higher revs. Joined the motorway and immediately pulled over and cleared the error codes then joined the motorway with high acceleration. The car performed well under hard acceleration pulling cleanly through the gears, no hesitation or noticeable drop in standard performance. Settled down to a cruising speed (about 70 mph) then the Restricted Performance notification came on again. The car could cruise at 70 mph. On return run repeated the test with the same results. The car appears happy when accelerating hard, only when the refs dropped again below 2000 did the notification come on. During the run I had my passenger check the values for the MAF and MAP sensors which were reacting as expected.

During the sub 40 mph roads on the final part of the journey and experimented changing between gears (with the reduced performance notice on). Lower gears (and speed) struggled to gain speed with revs staying still and not increasing with throttle input while changing up a gear added speed (although obviously at lower revs).

Has anyone else experienced similar errors or characteristics? The car was running fine until yesterday. I have read about the turbo actuator and known issues with these. Is there a way of testing them? Also been informed of vacuum actuator rod and link arm though cannot find where these are located to check if seized.

Any help, advice or guidance greatly appreciated before I bite the bullet and see how long it take Jaguar to identify the issue.

Old 01-26-2020, 10:58 AM
Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts

I had similar it was my air filters clogged.

Also need to make sure the filter boxes are screwed down completely so air doesn’t bypass the filters. Then make sure there are no cracks in the air filter housing boxes or the air intake tubing. But air filter replacement would be my first thought.

The turbo/supercharger error comes on when you have errors with air intake and it usually has nothing to do with the turbo.

All the best.

Old 01-27-2020, 02:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a look at your RH Bank cam cover for splits. Remove the engine cover, carefully remove the foam insulation around the injectors and look for signs of oil residue. I would also suggest getting a smoke test done to check the throttle body and the cam covers for splits...

i have recently swapped mine out and had all the same errors as you did.

Old 01-31-2020, 05:08 AM

Hello,
Sorry for the delay in reply. Thank you for your suggestions, I will follow both up this weekend. I have purchased a new air filter and shall check out the housing (though this is an absolute pain on the XJ, never known an air filter so tricky to change) and look into a smoke test to and manifold check also.

Wondering if turbo actuator on small turbo may also be a cause due to my issue being at low speeds/rpm instead of higher speed and rpm.

Fingers crossed will get to the bottom of it soon!

Thanks again

Old 08-20-2020, 11:00 AM
Default XJ 2011 P0006A code and limp mode

Originally Posted by Adam Huxley
Hello,
Sorry for the delay in reply. Thank you for your suggestions, I will follow both up this weekend. I have purchased a new air filter and shall check out the housing (though this is an absolute pain on the XJ, never known an air filter so tricky to change) and look into a smoke test to and manifold check also.

Wondering if turbo actuator on small turbo may also be a cause due to my issue being at low speeds/rpm instead of higher speed and rpm.

Fingers crossed will get to the bottom of it soon!

Thanks again

Exactly the same issues.
Will take a look at the air box housing for any damage.
If all ok and looking at turbo actuator does anyone have any idea as to potential costs to fix?
TIA
Kev

Old 08-20-2020, 11:14 AM

Hello, my issue was a stuck CSOV valve (turbo actuator). Mine was repaired with a repair kit and fitted by Mike Allen Services (Jaguar Centre) in Wiltshire. The kit was about £65 and 3 hours labour.

Basically £350inc VAT.

Hope that helps.

Old 08-20-2020, 11:25 AM

Just lifted the engine cover to look at the inlet manifold cover as mentioned earlier in this thread and its covered in oil. I suspect I have a cracked inlet manifold cover. Groan.
Makes sense as the code is only MAF/MAP so if there's air getting in as oil is getting out it will mess with the air mix and hence the code.
Now.......do I have a crack it myself and hand over a wedge to the so called experts.
Thanks for the info sir.
Much appreciated.
Kev