XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Reliabity

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 04:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reliabity

What is the reliability of the XJ, XJL Series 2011-2014? Past stuff has looked pretty but haven’t heard a lot bad about these. Any thoughts?

Old 01-28-2018, 09:10 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,910 Likes on 3,212 Posts

Connor, the 2011's have their initial year quirks. There seems to be 2 that come to mind. The more annoying one is that the sunroof will tend to "pop" when on uneven surfaces. This is simply the bolts holding the sunroof in place loosen up over time and the sunroof can now flex. The fix is simply loosening the fasteners (after removing the headliner) and locking them in place with Loctite.

The other "problem" is the water pumps seemed to fail sooner than they should. Jaguar has since redesigned the water pump and there are a few different pieces that are needed when replacing the water pump. Again, not a hard fix, but not something that you would expect out of a fairly new car.

Both of these were fixed by the 2012 model year.

As for reliability, if you look, it is one of the best rated cars out there. With the help of this group, if you can work on your own car, it can be a fairly inexpensive vehicle to own.

2 other things come to mind that may play into what year you are looking at. The 2011's also suffered from a "slow response" to the radio screen. For some, this is a non-issue as it does what they want. But, when inputting say something into the NAV system, you may find that this will take a fair amount of time to input the address. Again, in 2012, this problem was corrected and if you so desire, the 2012 screen can be put into a 2011 radio to fix this issue.

The other thing deals with the 2014 vehicles. The 3.0L supercharged engine has the Auto START/STOP feature. What this means to you is that when you come to a stop light and reach a full stop, the engine is going to turn itself off (unless certain conditions are met, the list is somewhat lengthy) and then when you release the brake pedal, the engine will automatically start itself so by the time you go to step on the gas pedal, the motor is ready to go. Some people find this annoying and others kinda like it/get used to it. There are ways to make the car not turn off, but none of them are a permanent fix (ie, disconnecting the surge battery that the car runs on when the engine turns off is the defeat method).

I have owned my car for almost 3 years now and only had to do routine work to the car (ie, rear brakes, tires, oil changes, etc). I do have one issue that I am dealing with right now which is the intake air temp is throwing an error code and I believe this to be a loose connector inside a plug. Just waiting on a special probe to arrive so I can troubleshoot it properly. the car runs fine as it runs off of the other side's temp indication. I just have the check engine light that will come on and off as the sensor decides if it is going to work that day or not.

Old 02-07-2018, 01:51 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi, I was wondering how can one tell if the water pump installed on the car is the one prone to failure or the redesigned one? And is there a guide on the popping roof, if yes what's the level of difficulty. Thank you!

Old 02-07-2018, 02:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,351 Likes on 3,480 Posts

For the epic saga of the history of the water pump (8 separate part numbers so far), see my post #106 in this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...120768/page10/

The big cat has 9 lives; 8 down, 1 to go!

The following users liked this post:
Bcrd13 (02-07-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 02:41 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Another one for you pals, my apologies if I'm annoying, does the water pump is prone to failure on both petrol and diesel engine? Thank you!