XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Remote starter??

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 11:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Remote starter??

Well, I searched the forums and have to post a new thread...

Has anybody looked into installing a remote starter in the X351?? It seems that it is not that simple for starters (what with the transponder security), but, even if this is resolved (encode the pill that is kept in the vehicle) - is this something that can be done (without a doctorate in electronics)? I am not looking to doing it myself, but would like to know if there is a kit 'out there' that a professional can install...

Old 04-16-2013, 03:27 PM

I am also interested in this

Old 04-18-2013, 11:04 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by maestromaestro
Well, I searched the forums and have to post a new thread...

Has anybody looked into installing a remote starter in the X351?? It seems that it is not that simple for starters (what with the transponder security), but, even if this is resolved (encode the pill that is kept in the vehicle) - is this something that can be done (without a doctorate in electronics)? I am not looking to doing it myself, but would like to know if there is a kit 'out there' that a professional can install...
I've been looking into the Viper SmartStart for my 2011 XJ but haven't been able to find anything on vehicle compatibility.

The following users liked this post:
maestromaestro (04-24-2013)
Old 04-24-2013, 09:44 PM
Unhappy

Originally Posted by 11XJsrb
I've been looking into the Viper SmartStart for my 2011 XJ but haven't been able to find anything on vehicle compatibility.
That is the oddest thing, if you ask me. Considering how this is essentially a computer with wheels these days, you'd think that somebody would be able to figure out the way to offer the kit. The Viper kits apparently work for some 09 models like XK.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by maestromaestro
That is the oddest thing, if you ask me. Considering how this is essentially a computer with wheels these days, you'd think that somebody would be able to figure out the way to offer the kit. The Viper kits apparently work for some 09 models like XK.
It may be that Jag has not published enough of the electronics information for aftermarket companies to be able to integrate their product with the car.

Older XK's or XJ's/whatever have been out a while and the systems information has been published or reverse engineered. Jaguar is very protective of their systems and information in their newer cars.

To integrate a remote starter with a new(er) XJ would require disabling the alarm system, integrating with electronics (*remotely*) that would bypass the physical components responsible for starting the car and other ancillary systems that are initialized when the car is started. That would require *extensive* knowledge of the electronics and computer systems of the car. I doubt Jaguar would share that information without some serious business relationship with another company.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by rscultho
It may be that Jag has not published enough of the electronics information for aftermarket companies to be able to integrate their product with the car.

Older XK's or XJ's/whatever have been out a while and the systems information has been published or reverse engineered. Jaguar is very protective of their systems and information in their newer cars.

To integrate a remote starter with a new(er) XJ would require disabling the alarm system, integrating with electronics (*remotely*) that would bypass the physical components responsible for starting the car and other ancillary systems that are initialized when the car is started. That would require *extensive* knowledge of the electronics and computer systems of the car. I doubt Jaguar would share that information without some serious business relationship with another company.
I hear you. However, Viper does offer kits for older cars. So - it is clearly happening, just very slowly for some reason.