XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Removing the Mass Airflow Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2023, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 500 Likes on 298 Posts
Default Removing the Mass Airflow Sensors

Shortly after bringing our 2016 XJ-L with the supercharged V-6, out of winter hibernation I noticed that the idle was a little rough. I tried a bottle of Techron fuel system cleaner, several weeks ago, with no change. I also checked the air filters, and they're clean, and there's no trash stuck in either intake duct. The car has about 16,000 miles on it.

I seem to recall reading, somewhere, that dirty mass airflow sensors could cause this, so I bought a can of cleaner, with the intention of giving the sensors a "bath". Only problem is, the electrical connectors have a funky yellow retaining clip, and I can't seem to find the right combination to "unlock" them, so I can't remove the sensors. Could someone enlighten me as to how to remove them? TIA!!

And to add to the mystery, when my wife came back from running errands, she stated that the car acted like it wanted to stall. It didn't, but this hiccup was enough to get her attention. She drives the car very gently, never goes over 40. I also drive the car regularly, but when I do, she's always with me, so while it might see expressway speeds with me driving, in order to keep her off my case, I, too, accelerate it quite easily. Maybe it needs an "Italian tune-up"??

Any thoughts?

Last edited by leadfoot4; 08-14-2023 at 01:21 PM.
Old 08-14-2023, 01:23 PM
Received 148 Likes on 101 Posts

Here's a video on MAF removal and cleaning.

wombat

Old 08-14-2023, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member

"wombat", thanks for the quick reply, and posting the video. However, there's one slight problem....the electrical connectors that are shown in the video, are not the same as the ones in our car. The ones in the vid look a lot like the ones that were in place on our former '09 XF, with the n/a 4.2 engine.

This is what our current XJ's look like, and if it matters, they're Bosch units.

Old 08-15-2023, 10:10 AM
Received 201 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Shortly after bringing our 2016 XJ-L with the supercharged V-6, out of winter hibernation ...?
How long was it "in hibernation", and what did you do to the fuel (before & after "hibernation") to ensure that the ethanol wouldn't degrade or cause problems in the fuel system that old ethanol does.
That you have 16k miles on a 2016 would tell me that fuel probably sits in your tank longer than normal, and longer than it can do so without absorbing moisture & degrading.

Old 08-15-2023, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 12jagmark
How long was it "in hibernation", and what did you do to the fuel (before & after "hibernation") to ensure that the ethanol wouldn't degrade or cause problems in the fuel system that old ethanol does.
That you have 16k miles on a 2016 would tell me that fuel probably sits in your tank longer than normal, and longer than it can do so without absorbing moisture & degrading.
"Hibernation" is usually 3.5-4 months. I toss a bottle of "dry gas" in the tank before storage, and add a bottle of Techron in the spring. I've been running "non-ethanol" gas in the car pretty much since it was brand new.....

Old 08-27-2023, 02:56 PM
Veteran Member

Nobody knows the "trick" to removing these yellow locking tabs?

Old 08-28-2023, 09:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,426 Likes on 1,906 Posts

Pull the tab straight back. That unlocks the connector and then you can squeeze it to release it. It's a bit fiddly as they say in the UK. It's also a shame Jaguar put the tab UNDER the connector where you can't see it! Normally these tabs are red or yellow so they stand out to alert you to release them first and they are on top of the connection.

I wonder if that's correct? Is the other side the same way? I don't know if it's possible but can the MAF sensor can be bolted in upside down?

Old 08-28-2023, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Pull the tab straight back. That unlocks the connector and then you can squeeze it to release it. It's a bit fiddly as they say in the UK. It's also a shame Jaguar put the tab UNDER the connector where you can't see it! Normally these tabs are red or yellow so they stand out to alert you to release them first and they are on top of the connection.

I wonder if that's correct? Is the other side the same way? I don't know if it's possible but can the MAF sensor can be bolted in upside down?
Thanks for the advice. I went out to the garage this afternoon, and after some "frustrating fiddling", I managed to get the drivers side plug disconnected, after about 5 minutes of trying. I then removed the MAF housing and air filter box as a unit, and then gave the sensor a shot of chemical cleaner. I let it air dry, then reinstalled everything, followed by going to the passenger side, to do the same. However, as you've noted, everything is reversed, and when disconnecting the wiring harness from that side, you're working somewhat blindly. It took longer to get it disconnected, however, I soldiered through it, and got that MAFS sensor cleaned off too.

My original purpose for this, was attempting to address a somewhat rough idle situation, and it did improve. I don't think it's 100% cured, but so far, it's notable better. I do have an appointment at the dealership, next week, for the car's annual oil change and state inspection, so I see if one of the techs can hook up the scanner, and see if anything's amiss....

Old 08-29-2023, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member

Your pictures got me curious because my 2014 has a much different MAF connector?

I think 2016 (Not sure of the date?) and up Jaguar changed the MAF from a rectangular base with the release tab on top to a trapezoid style plug with the locking tab on the bottom?
My 2014 has a the rectangular one but I think your looks a bit more trapezoidal?
Rectangular plug;

Yours looks trapezoidal?

So different sensors on the 5.0L depending on year?

Old 08-30-2023, 06:33 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Your pictures got me curious because my 2014 has a much different MAF connector?

I think 2016 (Not sure of the date?) and up Jaguar changed the MAF from a rectangular base with the release tab on top to a trapezoid style plug with the locking tab on the bottom?
My 2014 has a the rectangular one but I think your looks a bit more trapezoidal?
Rectangular plug;

Yours looks trapezoidal?

So different sensors on the 5.0L depending on year?
Yes, ours look trapezoidal. But for the sake of clarification, our XJ has the supercharged V-6. While I was in there, I thought about cleaning the throttle body, but took a look at all of the "stuff" that would have to be disconnected and/or removed, and shelved that idea............

Old 08-30-2023, 08:13 AM
Veteran Member

OK thanks maybe I got confused and it's just a V-6 to V-8 difference? That would make sense too.