XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Replace Heated Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2022, 10:53 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Replace Heated Windshield

I have major crack on my windshield. What considerations do I need to be aware of? Do Jaguars have special glass (ie noise reduction)? I know the crack is long but I would much rather have it fixed than replaced. Thank you for your help.

Last edited by jschimmels; 07-02-2022 at 03:06 PM.
Old 07-02-2022, 10:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,214 Likes on 918 Posts

Doesn't your insurance cover it? The first thing I would do would be to review my insurance policy. Many policies have "special" windshield coverage that works differently from the balance of the policy. Also, you should be aware that with a "major" crack your windshield may shatter at an inopportune time. Another thought; have a professional look at it to find out what it would cost to repair it Vs. what it costs to replace it.

Old 07-03-2022, 08:10 AM

Yes, insurance covers it. My worry was type of windshield, the trim, reaffixing rain sensor properly, proper sealing - all things that are perfect right now.

Old 07-03-2022, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,389 Likes on 3,500 Posts

I had my windshield replaced a few years ago by Safelite and here's what I learned.

No aftermarket windshields are available for the X351.

Several different OEM Jaguar-branded windshields are available for the X351 models. They're all the same size but the tinted areas vary depending on the equipment in your car. Safelite used my VIN to order the correct windshield from Jaguar. My windshield is not heated. The windshield comes complete with the black plastic trim pieces installed on both sides.

I had the work done at the Safelite shop near me and was pleased with their work. It took 2 trips, the first to determine if it could be repaired (no) and to get my VIN to order the correct windshield, and the second to R&R the windshield. It was obvious that the technician had replaced several XJ windshields before.

They called me when the windshield came in and made an appointment for me to come in to get it done. Their waiting room has a large window in the wall that is common with the shop I watched the technician do the work. It took about an hour and it was like it never happened.

This was covered under the Comprehensive coverage of my automobile insurance policy and all it cost me was my deductible.

Old 07-03-2022, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Stuart S
I had my windshield replaced a few years ago by Safelite and here's what I learned.

No aftermarket windshields are available for the X351.

Several different OEM Jaguar-branded windshields are available for the X351 models. They're all the same size but the tinted areas vary depending on the equipment in your car. Safelite used my VIN to order the correct windshield from Jaguar. My windshield is not heated. The windshield comes complete with the black plastic trim pieces installed on both sides.

I had the work done at the Safelite shop near me and was pleased with their work. It took 2 trips, the first to determine if it could be repaired (no) and to get my VIN to order the correct windshield, and the second to R&R the windshield. It was obvious that the technician had replaced several XJ windshields before.

They called me when the windshield came in and made an appointment for me to come in to get it done. Their waiting room has a large window in the wall that is common with the shop I watched the technician do the work. It took about an hour and it was like it never happened.

This was covered under the Comprehensive coverage of my automobile insurance policy and all it cost me was my deductible.
Thank you so much for the experience. I think my insurance company wants me to use Safelite. You note gives me more confidence in them.

Old 07-03-2022, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,457 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Yes all XJ's have acoustic glass. There is an ear symbol in the corner of the glass on the drivers side to determine that. At least this is what my 2014 XJR has.

I also had my windshield replaced by Safelite and pretty similar to Stuart S. experience. First time out the installer brought what Safelite thought would work. It did not come with the two side parts of trim. He called in and requested a factory replacement. Which was approved but took several weeks to get. Very happy with the install guy as I told him this was a special car to me and if it cost more for the correct windshield I would gladly pay the extra!

There was no extra charge to install an OEM one.

One thing I was not happy with and I checked with the insurance people beforehand. Is that they placed a claim record on my insurance record. Yes it was just glass replacement but any claim still impacts the insurance rate and I told them for $1500 I would pay to keep any claims off my record.

Old 08-16-2022, 09:55 PM
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Only heated available is the Jaguar one, the font on the lettering changed and the heated one did come with the side trim pieces. Safelite did the Job for me.

Old 08-17-2022, 08:29 AM

I just cancelled my appt with Safelite because the work order had the wrong windshield. This made me lose confidence in them. I switched glass-repair shops to a local (Dallas) highly rated one and the technician said the trim pieces are attached to the car so they DO NOT need to order these. The would reuse them. Can anyone confirm? It seems they would have to paint the trim pieces too. Also, the new place ordered an OEE (Original Equipment Equivalent) heated windshield. Is the technician wrong? Please help.

Old 08-17-2022, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,457 Likes on 1,931 Posts

I don't know and am only repeating what the Safelite guy told me about the side trim. He did it in the parking lot at work so I was not able to see anything but the completed results. I thought the windshield trim was powered coated as it seems to hold up good to the wear and weathering?

Old 08-17-2022, 02:47 PM
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

My heated OE replaced by safelite had the trim pieces and they are shinny black plastic not painted. When reusing those there is a 90 percent chance they will break and will need to be ordered separately from the dealer.

OE equivalent is not OE and when I had mine replaced my insurance had to supplement the claim cause only OE was the option for heated with the invisible squiggly lines. Non heated there are many OE equivalent and won’t say Jaguar on the stamp it will say the replacement manufacturer. You can always negotiate and pay the difference if you want the OE.

Old 08-17-2022, 05:58 PM
Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

I had the XFR windshield replaced. As with the XJ, only a Jaguar OEM was available and boy it was expensive. The invoiced amount with labor was $2200. Luckily insurance paid for it...

Old 08-18-2022, 04:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,389 Likes on 3,500 Posts

On 8/23/2021, Safelite in Marietta, GA replaced my non-heated XJ windshield that was cracked. The first windshield wasn't correct and they recorded it with my car's VIN. They told me that no aftermarket windshields were available and my new windshield was OEM and came with the side black plastic trim pieces attached. The work was done in their shop while I waited and watched, and took around 2 hours. I am very pleased with their work and it is as if it never happened.

It cost me $500, my Comprehensive insurance deductible.

The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (08-20-2022)