XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Resetting "Service Required" indicator?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 05:11 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Resetting "Service Required" indicator?

Hi there, on my 2012 XJL Supercharged, I have the "Service Required" indicator coming on when I start the car.

I called my dealer, and he thinks it's just because it's been a year (I only have 5500 miles on it, and have had possession for 6 months) I guess it sat on a boat or dock for a little while...

I can take it to them, but I'd rather not go through the trouble if it just means holding some buttons in a prescribed order.

Thanks in advance!

Old 11-02-2012, 10:04 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

No idea if this will work, but you can try it (it is the procedure for an XF)
  1. Press and hold rear fog lamp button
  2. switch Ignition on, do not start engine (push the start button without stepping on the brake)
  3. Release rear fog lamp switch.
  4. Press and hold trip button (end of left side stalk).
  5. Press and hold rear fog lamp switch - should see resetting service light message

The rear fog light switch is just below the trunk release on the lower left side of the dash.

The following users liked this post:
Robert Sheldon (06-22-2018)
Old 11-02-2012, 10:44 PM
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Good news and bad.

The bad news is that my information system says a scan tool must be used to reset.

The good news is I'm in Culver City and I use the Autologic at work. It's up to date and I would not mind at all trying it on your car if you like. PM if you're interetested. No charge. I'm curious if it will work. It costs a lot of money to keep it updated.

No sweat either way.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

does the service required indicator go away after a few seconds?

the same happens to me. I called the dealer and he said its part of the normal startup sequence, as long as it goes away within a few seconds you're fine

Old 11-05-2012, 10:01 AM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

If it says service required, its due. Be it time, mileage, and or driving style. It doesnt stay on but if it comes on when you start for s few seconds its due. Its not part of a "normal" sequence. And yes it has to be hooked up to reset, there is no back door proceedure on the xj
and if we techs dont want to go through the time to hook up to a pc(sdd) and reset we have to buy a $150 reset tool to go through the obdii port.....
Yeah we're not thrilled either

Old 11-05-2012, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by carzaddict
does the service required indicator go away after a few seconds?

the same happens to me. I called the dealer and he said its part of the normal startup sequence, as long as it goes away within a few seconds you're fine
Yes, it goes away after a few seconds.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Brutal
If it says service required, its due. Be it time, mileage, and or driving style. It doesnt stay on but if it comes on when you start for s few seconds its due. Its not part of a "normal" sequence. And yes it has to be hooked up to reset, there is no back door proceedure on the xj
and if we techs dont want to go through the time to hook up to a pc(sdd) and reset we have to buy a $150 reset tool to go through the obdii port.....
Yeah we're not thrilled either
Oh, joy.
Isn't this something that should have been done pre-delivery? I haven't had the car but 8 months or so...

Old 11-06-2012, 07:48 AM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by depeche
oh, joy.
Isn't this something that should have been done pre-delivery? I haven't had the car but 8 months or so...
yes, but before they delivered it to you. Its set at PDI, but if it sits on the lot, it should be reset. But after it goes through the shop, we're done. That would be the resonsibilty of the "sales" dept to run it back in and tell us "hey reset the service indicator because its been on the lot 6 months" Just like they are supposed to clean for delivery, set tire pressure to normal from 50-60 psi, maintain batteries etc...........

Old 10-01-2016, 09:33 AM
Received 47 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by another_geek
No idea if this will work, but you can try it (it is the procedure for an XF)
  1. Press and hold rear fog lamp button
  2. switch Ignition on, do not start engine (push the start button without stepping on the brake)
  4. Press and hold trip button (end of left side stalk).
  5. Press and hold rear fog lamp switch - should see resetting service light message

The rear fog light switch is just below the trunk release on the lower left side of the dash.
Wanted to post a clarification on the process, which I did on my 2010 XK and it worked there as well.
  1. Press and hold rear fog lamp switch.
  2. Still holding rear fog lamp button, and with foot off the brake pedal, push and release the start button (turns ignition on without starting the engine)
  4. Within 1 second press and hold trip button (end of left side stalk).
  5. Still holding the trip button down, within 1 second press and hold rear fog lamp switch. This should produce a "resetting service" message. Continue to hold trip button and rear fog lamp switch for about 10 seconds until you get a "reset complete" message.

Old Radar (01-27-2019)
Old 10-13-2016, 04:38 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by twhumphrey
Wanted to post a clarification on the process, which I did on my 2010 XK and it worked there as well.
  2. Still holding rear fog lamp button, and with foot off the brake pedal, push and release the start button (turns ignition on without starting the engine)
  5. Still holding the trip button down, within 1 second press and hold rear fog lamp switch. This should produce a "resetting service" message. Continue to hold trip button and rear fog lamp switch for about 10 seconds until you get a "reset complete" message.
I tried this on my 2011 XJ the other day. I just changed oil and filters myself since it was telling me "Service Required In XXXX Miles". After the change, it's still showing service required and the XF reset sequence didn't do anything other than reset my trip. Any other suggestions? Or do I have to take it into the dealer and have them reset it for me? Seems like most of the discussions about resetting it are from 4 years ago... maybe there's a way to do it yourself now?

Old 10-13-2016, 05:53 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

a6kmita, there are a few devices that you can buy on e-bay for around $100 or so that will reset the service required message. Other than that, it is to the dealership you go. I guess the third option is to get the SDD software with the applicable OBD cable and then go into the computer and reset it yourself. BUt, that would be more than the $100 for the reset device. But, it would give you more access to codes and whatnot. I just bought one for myself and I need to get out and play with it some on the car.

Old 10-14-2016, 11:31 AM
Received 47 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by a6kmita
I tried this on my 2011 XJ the other day. I just changed oil and filters myself since it was telling me "Service Required In XXXX Miles". After the change, it's still showing service required and the XF reset sequence didn't do anything other than reset my trip. Any other suggestions? Or do I have to take it into the dealer and have them reset it for me? Seems like most of the discussions about resetting it are from 4 years ago... maybe there's a way to do it yourself now?
I have no reason to think that an XJ is different from an XF or XK in supporting a button sequence to reset the oil life service indicator. The timing of the sequence is very critical and it may take you several tries to get it right. The need to be very specific on the timing and sequence is why I did an update on the post, once I found it I could do it every time.

Of course in the ideal world the dealer would be willing to take you through it but your results at a Jaguar dealer may vary.

That all said perhaps your service indicator is not merely for oil life but for one of the major service intervals, timing belt, etc. To know for sure a dealer would need to code read your car with IDS software.

Old 10-15-2016, 07:56 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

PUlling this from a 2011 XJ service manual (Diesel variation), this is what the manual has to say:

Service Interval Indicator: The Service Interval Indicator is displayed in the message center. The indicator displays information calculated by the ECM (engine control module) to calculate the remaining distance to the next service based on the amount of fuel used since the last service interval reset.

The ECM counts down the distance to engine service and the instrument cluster rounds this down to the nearest 50 miles (KM). The fuel used based count down starts from 3200 miles (km) displaying the required figure in the trip computer message center, for example 'Service Required in 1950 miles (km)'. When the ECM has calculated the distance to service is 0 miles (km), the will request the instrument cluster to display 'Service Required' in the message center.

The ECM also monitors and calculates when the time to the next oil service is required and when an oil service is required, 'Service Required' is displayed in the message center. This message takes priority over the distance to service calculation.

The service information is displayed in the message center for 4 seconds at each ignition cycle. There is no minus figure if the service distance is exceeded, 'Service Required' is displayed, via a CAN bus message from the instrument cluster, until the ECM service counter is reset using an approved Jaguar diagnostic system .

I know on my 2012 XJ (petrol/gas variation), that the owners manual states that it also triggers every 12 months for the annual maintenance (check of brakes, air filter, fluid levels, etc).

Old 11-26-2017, 11:14 PM
Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Default me too

i tried the procedure detailed above for my XF but it didn't work. a private shop forgot to turn it off after an oil change.

during my Takata recall at the dealer, i asked them to do it. they said they would but would charge me 1/2 hour labor. pass.

i'm in the market for an F Type but will now not consider this same dealer. the stupidity/arrogance of dealer service is ridiculous.

ItChief67 (09-04-2019)
Old 11-26-2017, 11:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 219 Posts

I have no reason to think that an XJ is different from an XF or XK in supporting a button sequence to reset the oil life service indicator. The timing of the sequence is very critical and it may take you several tries to get it right. The need to be very specific on the timing and sequence is why I did an update on the post, once I found it I could do it every time.
I know you mean well here, but there IS a difference. The XJ does NOT have a button sequence to reset the "Service Required" message. It doesn't matter what the XF or XK has; the XJ is different. If the OP is planning to do their own oil changes, I would recommend the purchase of an OBD scanner set up for Jaguar for this task (they are available on ebay and Amazon in the $100-150 range). I purchased a Foxwell NT510 and it works great. If dealer maintenance is anticipated throughout ownership, then it would make more sense to take it to the dealership to be reset. One note: whether the car was being driven or it simply sat on the sales lot awaiting a buyer, the oil is apparently one year old and the prudent thing to do would be change it, regardless of low mileage. That will get the service reminder in sync with the actual service intervals and fresh oil is never a bad thing.

Dwayne

Last edited by dga57; 11-26-2017 at 11:56 PM.
Ken Dreger (01-06-2024)
Old 11-28-2017, 07:49 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ditto on the OBD tool. I tried to use my existing one with the Torque app on my phone, but that could not do the reset. So I purchased the iCarsoft LR II Land Rover/Jaguar Obd Scanner Tool from Amazon and it did the trick. It takes about 20 seconds when resetting, but after I had the oil changed and the Firestone service place did not have the tool, I was able to reset this myself. Then I was able to go thru and see lots of other functions for the vehicle and happy that nothing came up as faults I needed to have addressed.

Old 08-20-2018, 11:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reset oil change

I accidentally reset my maintenance reminder when i was changing my cross-over pipe and water pump. To remove the intake manifold you have to remove a fuel line that goes across the top of the manifold. To keep the fuel pump from coming on and spraying fuel everywhere you have to disconnect the negative terminal from the battery. I'm not sure how long it took to reset because i had to wait for a part to come in but when i put it all back together i noticed that the maintenance note at start up had reset. I do all my own oil changes so not being able to reset this was driving me up a wall.

Old 01-27-2019, 09:50 AM
Received 76 Likes on 40 Posts

Thanks twhumphrey! Got it to work on the first try!

Old 03-09-2020, 06:31 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Hummph

Just tried it again and it still didn't work...jus sayin....

Old 03-09-2020, 08:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

It worked for Old Radar because he has a 2011 XK (X150).
It won't work on your 2011 XJ (X351). See Post #5, above.

Quick Reply: Resetting "Service Required" indicator?