XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Restricted Performance!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 07:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Restricted Performance!

Might as well introduce myself first as this is my first post. I recently bought a 2012 XJ Supercharged and am in love with it, still have the warranty and am really happy about that right now.

After driving it I noticed above 5,000 rpms at full throttle it seemed to die off and from every other XJS I have driven that was never the case. So a few mornings ago I got on the "closed course" and hammered it up to almost redline in 3rd gear when I was shoved forwards, throttle cut and the "Restricted Performance" light came on putting me in limp mode. I pulled over restarted the car so limp mode would go away and made my way to work. Later that day I did the same acceleration and once again 1st and 2nd gears scream to redline and halfway through 3rd it happens again.

Feeling quite annoyed that my new to me car is doing this I drop it off at a Jaguar dealership, tell them everything I am telling you and voila 24 hours later I have a new fuel pump. They stated that the fuel rail pressure was low and a fault in the pump was found. The next morning on the same stretch as before I get restricted performance again doing the same exact acceleration test. Back to Jaguar I go.

Back in Jaguar I get the apologies and I ask him to see what was done to the car before I got it. Turns out they just replaced the left bank of injectors 1 week and 0 miles from when I bought the car, customer stated same problems as me and actually said the car was smoking, guessing a stuck injector. Now here I sit with a loaner once again waiting to see if my car is ok. I will keep you all updated on this if you would like. Any ideas of my possible problem?

The following users liked this post:
retriever-007 (06-16-2016)
Old 03-17-2016, 07:21 PM
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks and we look forward to your update.

Old 03-22-2016, 08:30 AM

UPDATE: They replaced one of two high pressure fuel pumps and said they tested the car with no faults. I take possession of the car and again 3rd gear 5,000 rpms wide open throttle I get restricted performance again. Back to Jaguar and service is saying it is throwing a low fuel pressure code. This will be the third time the car has spent at least one night with Jaguar. The tech did say he experienced the slight drop in power during a second gear run but did not have the room to get into 3rd. While in 3rd gear the fuel pump is really straining as the rpms are above 5k for an extended period. Should I demand extra service or parts to be replaced? Will keep updating and anyone with ideas or similar experiences would love to hear from you.

Old 03-23-2016, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

Spoke with my tech yesterday about your problem and found out there are, as you know, three pumps on the V8. one at the tank is electric and supplies gas to the two mechanical high pressure pumps needed for direct injection and they are driven by two shafts from a separate cam shaft in the lower right front side of the block by one of the three chains (two are used to drive the cam shafts, one for each head). The high pressure pumps operate at the same time, but the cam lobes are offset so they drive alternately. Therefore, I hope that the replacement of the 3rd pump will resolve your problem.

Old 03-24-2016, 07:57 AM

So I picked my car up yesterday and was told the tech test drove the car and everything was fixed. They replaced fuel pressure sensors, fuel lines and rail. This morning I do my same test and at 6k in 3rd the restricted Performance comes on again and I am in limp mode. Beyond furious, back to Jaguar I go. They did not replace the 3rd HP Fuel Pump yet.

Old 04-06-2016, 11:06 AM
Smile I had the light one time

Hey, what mode are you doing the test drives.. winter mode, dynamic, or dynamic S fully manual??

Old 04-07-2016, 10:26 AM

Dyanamic with car shifting. It is a noticeable hesitation as anything above 5k rpms power dies. When the power dies 50% of the time the restricted performance light comes on. Hoping to be able to get back to Jaguar today to get all pumps replaced.

Old 05-19-2016, 08:06 AM

So they replaced the second HP fuel pump and all has been good until today!!! I have a check engine light on, ran the OBD 2 sensor and it is showing a #6 Misfire before 1,000 rotations meaning a misfire on cylinder #6 upon startup. Car shutters once in a while when warm at idle. So tired of Jaguar service. Help please, what should I have them look at? Carbon build up, Supercharged play??? By the way I only have 11 days more of warranty.

Old 05-19-2016, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member

I would check the #6 spark plug, coil, injector connection, and injector. As for your warranty, the issue started sometime ago and has not been completely resolved so IMHO the warranty end date should not apply as this is an ongoing issue.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:10 AM

So all the bugs with the fuel system have been taken care of finally. On the weekend before my Warranty was up my Nav screen and A/C control lights were acting up. The Nav would flicker, the radio stations would change by themselves and the lights on the A/C controls did not light up when on but A/C was working fine. I called to set up a service appointment before my warranty expired but had to go out of town on business and didnt make it in until a few days after. They are now saying I will have to pay 2,800$ for the labor and new systems they put in. They will not be covering it under warranty because the car was brought in a few days after it expired even though I called and let them know before it did that I was having an issue. So now after having my car in 7 times for major maintenance they are leaving me high and dry. What would you do?

Old 06-16-2016, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member

Call Jaguar North America and explain the situation and ask for an accommodation to cover the repairs.

Old 06-16-2016, 11:49 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Given the ongoing issue, you may also want to negotiate with Jaguar NA the purchase of a Jaguar Extended Warranty (not one of those third-party ones). If they are unwilling to cover your parts and labor with this issue, they may be ok with you purchasing a warranty and trying to roll the cost into a new claim with them. It's worth a try if they won't front you the money for the repair, and then you'll at least have peace of mind going forward.

Good luck!

Old 06-16-2016, 01:48 PM

Thank you for all of the suggestions and help. Just hung up with Jaguar NA, they said I do not qualify for the "one time good will" coverage of my issues because I do not fit the preferred client requirement. I flipped when they said that, told them the issue has been ongoing and that I have been without my car 7 times since March, they said call the Better Business Bureau. Any ideas now? Continue to pester other Jag NA people? The dealer tried to get it covered but was turned down.

Old 06-16-2016, 02:27 PM
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

The BBB doesn't really do anything. It's some company that allows others to bribe them for a good rating to brag about. I would be very angry, I've had a back and forth relationship with the dealership you mentioned in a PM to me, but in the end they made things right.

I think in your position I would be spamming up as many things as I possibly could. Email Jalopnik, post on Reddit, do a Twitter hashtag firestorm, write on Jaguar USA's wall on Facebook, just say how unhappy you are on as many things possible.

I'm so sorry your Jaguar experience has been this way. The original dealership you bought the car from really needed to do a complete swap of the car. You said you recently bought the car, which I think is a very good thing. Look up the Lemon Law in both MN and FL. I believe you could win this case as there's documented proof that this was attempted to be fixed over and over and it wasn't for some time and there's multiple things wrong with the car. I'm assuming this was sold as a CPO?

Old 06-27-2016, 08:29 AM

Thank you all for the help. Jaguar decided to pony up after me hammering them with angry calls, voicemails and facebook posts. They said they will cover 80% and the dealer 10% so out the door cost for me is just over 200$ which I am OK with.

NEW PROBLEM: So I am driving my car and next thing I know it is shaking, smoking then shut off.... ON THE HIGHWAY WHILE DOING 65MPH. I pull over and get restricted performance notice AGAIN!!! I run the codes and I have misfires in cylinders 1, 3, 5 and 7 also smoke coming out of that sides exhaust. Brought it back this morning and my service guy told me its probably stuck injectors. They replaced one sides injectors already so hopefully it is that side. Jaguar Nightmare continues.

Old 06-27-2016, 09:09 PM
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

I wonder if fuel injector cleaner will help with this issue. Was thinking about putting some in my car to prevent this from happening and getting the injectors clogged up.

Old 06-28-2016, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member

If you do want to run injector cleaner I think Bg 44K is the best and can be purchased either locally or on Amazon.

The following users liked this post:
Johncy2000 (07-01-2016)
Old 06-30-2016, 07:38 AM

Hey everyone, well Jaguar went and covered 90% of ALL my issues, I guess being loud works. Also I have used 3 cans of Bg 44k and since then have had both sides injectors replaced.