XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Restricted Performance Warning Light

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 03:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Restricted Performance Warning Light

So on Saturday I drove to Chick-fil-a and when I got back in my 09 XJ8 Portfolio the Restricted Performance light came on. When I tried to accelerate the car went really slow and then slowly got up to normal speed. I immediately took the car to the local jaguar dealer and they told me to replace the Throttle Body Assembly and leaking vacuum hose. Total tab: $1830. Additionally, they did an inspection and told me to replace the "Fron Control Arm Bushings".

Does anyone have experience with either of these two repairs. I have attached the quote sheet in the event anyone wants to price compare or know what these things might cost.

Best!

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
seneca (7).pdf (97.4 KB, 245 views)
Old 12-01-2015, 05:26 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,908 Likes on 3,210 Posts

09JagXJ, based on your problems, it could be something as simple as needing to clean out your throttlebody. Over time, it will build up a varnish and this can cause the throttlebody to stick and make the computer think the throttlebody is having issues. You can stop by your local auto parts store and get a can of "throttle body cleaner". This is different than carb cleaner, so, don't mix the two. From there, you simply remove the intake tube from the throttlebody, use one hand to hold the throttlebody valve open as you use the other hand to spray the inside "throat" of the throttlebody. If you see brown, wash it away. You will also want to spray a little bit of the cleaner on to a rag so you can wipe the edge of the silver disk to remove the tarnish there.

Odds are, this is going to flood your car. No worries. You can correct this by simply depressing the gas pedal the whole way to the floor as you attempt to start the car. I know what you are thinking, I am going to over rev the engine. Quite the opposite, this is going to force the computer to not allow any fuel through the injectors. Once the engine starts to catch, you can start feathering the gas pedal and bring the engine up to speed. See what you have then.

As part of this, you will want to also replace the bad vacuum hose. In most cases, this is a fairly easy thing. Not knowing what vacuum hose this may be, I cannot give you any more advice than that. But, it is sounding rather interesting since you have about 6 hours of labor to remove the intake. This is where the X350 guys may have better advice for you.

On a side note, if you don't mind a little drive and want to save some money, come on down to my place (California, MD) and I am sure we can do a lot of this. Not sure about the vacuum line as I would want to know more before we start ripping things apart. But, the throttlebody cleaning and rear brakes would be easy things for us to do.

The following 3 users liked this post by Thermo:
09JagXJ (12-03-2015), hawaiianjag (12-04-2015), thierry_1500 (02-20-2020)
Old 12-01-2015, 08:28 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just had same code thrown at me a few days ago but with different results. Mine is now running off 4 cylinders as 2,4,6,8 are all throwing misfire codes and fuel/smoke is coming out of the left side of the exhaust. It happened less than a mile from my house during a less than aggressive downshift with the paddles of all things. I managed to limp home and I've been out of town since so she remains in my garage until I can get home and call jag to come pick her up. Quite frustrating as my car only has 30k miles. Curious to see what it is.

The following users liked this post:
hawaiianjag (12-04-2015)
Old 12-03-2015, 06:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thermo thanks for the post. Good to know there is a forum member so close.

Old 02-17-2020, 08:16 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default I have the same problem. Can you help with fixing it?

Thermo - I live in NJ and don't mind driving down to California, MD if you can help me fixing this issue. I own a 2008 XJR and had this show up on my dash today. If you are willing, let me know the parts that I need to order and get to your place.
Originally Posted by Thermo
09JagXJ, based on your problems, it could be something as simple as needing to clean out your throttlebody. Over time, it will build up a varnish and this can cause the throttlebody to stick and make the computer think the throttlebody is having issues. You can stop by your local auto parts store and get a can of "throttle body cleaner". This is different than carb cleaner, so, don't mix the two. From there, you simply remove the intake tube from the throttlebody, use one hand to hold the throttlebody valve open as you use the other hand to spray the inside "throat" of the throttlebody. If you see brown, wash it away. You will also want to spray a little bit of the cleaner on to a rag so you can wipe the edge of the silver disk to remove the tarnish there.

Odds are, this is going to flood your car. No worries. You can correct this by simply depressing the gas pedal the whole way to the floor as you attempt to start the car. I know what you are thinking, I am going to over rev the engine. Quite the opposite, this is going to force the computer to not allow any fuel through the injectors. Once the engine starts to catch, you can start feathering the gas pedal and bring the engine up to speed. See what you have then.

As part of this, you will want to also replace the bad vacuum hose. In most cases, this is a fairly easy thing. Not knowing what vacuum hose this may be, I cannot give you any more advice than that. But, it is sounding rather interesting since you have about 6 hours of labor to remove the intake. This is where the X350 guys may have better advice for you.

On a side note, if you don't mind a little drive and want to save some money, come on down to my place (California, MD) and I am sure we can do a lot of this. Not sure about the vacuum line as I would want to know more before we start ripping things apart. But, the throttlebody cleaning and rear brakes would be easy things for us to do.

Old 02-17-2020, 11:03 AM
Veteran member

nsubbu8854, this is a bad time of year for me. I am working long hours and will not be off of them until around 01APR20. If you can wait until then, then I am game. But, not sure you want to wait that long. I would say to start with getting the codes read and then posting them here. That will atleast give me an idea of what we are dealing with. Based on your mileage, it may be something as simple as the plugs needing changed (should have been changed at 100K miles). Could also be a vacuum leak. But, the codes will tell me what we are dealing with here. Your local auto parts store can read the codes for you.

Old 02-17-2020, 01:43 PM

No Worries. I have a code reader with me. I will check tonight and get back to you with the codes I see. You can provide your inputs based on that.

Old 02-19-2020, 10:07 AM

These are the Codes I see when I ran the diagnostic

P0116, P0430, P2610, P2601, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, P0305, P0308, P0300, P0316
B1875, B1601, B1600, B2879, U2199
C1A64
U1262, B1529, B1676
B2496, B2363, B1987
U1262, B2533

Old 02-19-2020, 11:31 AM
Veteran member

nsubbu8854, I would say to clear all the codes and then drive the car a little bit (if the check engine light flashes, find a spot to stop the engine). The codes that you have listed seem a bit excessive in number. So, you may have errors from a long time ago that could be driving us in the wrong direction. Clearing the codes and then seeing what comes back in will help narrow the possibilities.

Old 02-19-2020, 11:49 AM
Received 2,646 Likes on 1,822 Posts

With the ignition in the OFF position, what is the voltage across the battery terminals when checked with a voltmeter?

Old 02-19-2020, 12:12 PM

When I took note of the existing error codes I cleared all of them. I was also intending to check when the light shows up next time and start from there. Will keep you posted.

Old 02-20-2020, 02:17 PM
Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Hi All,

I got an intermittent P0106 on my 2012 XJ (5.0 NA). It can stay away for 500 km, come back for some time, then disappear alone and come back again, usually at lower speeds... no restricetd performance or anything else, just that annoying yellow light...
The air duct does not seem to have any cracks, and I will first try to clean the throttle body, like advised by Thermo in this thread.

Are there any special precautions to take?
I suppose the air duct straps just need to be opened, air duct removed and the TB is accessible.
But then, is there anything special to open the butterfly and keep it opened? Do I need to depress the gas pedal like on some engines?
Or just push it open with the fingers and maintain open with some piece of wood while cleaning?
Need to reset or do some special procedure once done?

Thanks and best regards,

Thierry

Old 02-20-2020, 08:10 PM
Veteran member

thierry, you can spray throttle body cleaner right into the intake. Don't go too crazy, but you can spray a fair amount. If you feel like you have flooded the car, when you go to start it, depress the accelerator pedal down as far as it will go. This will actually shut off the fuel injectors and only push air through the engine to clear the flooding condition. After a few seconds of cranking, you should be able to ease up on the gas pedal and bring the engine up to idle. I would also recommend having a lint free rag and spraying some of the cleaner on the rag and then wiping the edge of the butterfly (the silver disk that blocks the air). This will get build up and this is what actually sticks. A gentle wipe and you should get most of the build up. A few wipes and should be good as new.

Old 02-21-2020, 01:08 AM

Thanks a lot Thermo!😊
to open the butterfly. I suppose I just push it with my fingers and keep it open with some piece of wood or plastic? Fully manual procedure, thus; Ignition stays fully off and no need to have somebody push on the gas pedal, right?

Old 02-21-2020, 10:17 AM
Veteran member

thierry, you are correct. I just stick my finger in there with the car off. I would not advise using a piece of wood or something of the sort because if it happens to slip and fall into the intake, oh boy. Besides, to wipe, it takes all of about 3 seconds. If you do use something to prop the disk open, make sure it has a string on it so you can pull it back out should the need arise.

Old 02-21-2020, 10:53 AM

Perfect; thanks again Thermo! :-)

Old 02-22-2020, 12:52 PM

Well, done this on this nice spring-like afternoon, took less than 30 minutes.
There was some gum/tar on the butterfly and on the walls of the body, not that much but it may still have been the origin of my P0106.
I did some test drives afterwards, but could not reproduce the error.. which does not mean much as it appeared quite randomly
BTW is the Jaguar P0106 initiating pattern available somewhere?

Old 07-16-2020, 04:12 PM

Hi Thermo - Due to COVid things have gone haywire but I would like your help w.r.t the fix that is needed for my car. Let me know when is the best time to visit your place and I can drive down to your place.

Old 07-16-2020, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by thierry_1500
Well, done this on this nice spring-like afternoon, took less than 30 minutes.
There was some gum/tar on the butterfly and on the walls of the body, not that much but it may still have been the origin of my P0106.
I did some test drives afterwards, but could not reproduce the error.. which does not mean much as it appeared quite randomly
BTW is the Jaguar P0106 initiating pattern available somewhere?
For the records, more than 3000 km later, the code did not reappear, so I suppose one can safely say that cleaning the throttle body was the solution.
While my Jaguar dealer said it was not even necessary to try it as it was not mentioned in his official repair guidance for a P0106...

Old 07-16-2020, 04:44 PM
Veteran member

nsubbu, I would say to clear the codes and then take the car out for a few good accelerations to cause the check engine light to come on (not flashing, if it is flashing, you need to turn off the motor as soon as possible). Lets see what the code(s) are and take things from there. If it is something easy, I want to save you a long trip (4+ hours each way). Right now, I am thinking that it can be so many things that I want to eliminate what we can that are easy so if you need to come down, we have a few things on the list and that is it. So, I would say that 2 things can be done now before you come down. The first being a new list of code(s). The second being that you go to a local auto parts store and have them do a load test of your battery. That will test your non-charge state of the battery and then what the battery is doing when you start the car. Post both of the results here and lets see what we have at that point. What probably would not hurt is to get a can of carb cleaner and clean out your throttlebody. I have seen a lot of interesting problems just because the throttlebody is sticking. Push the silver disk open and if you see brown, spray it away. Use of a rag with some carb cleaner on it can minimize how much spraying you need to do. The walls are easy to do. But, you want to also look at the edge of the center disk (the butterfly) and look at the edge. You want to make sure that is clean too. If your car is hard to start, simply push the gas pedal down to the floor as you start the car, hold it there for 5 or so seconds and then start easing up on it. The car will catch shortly and you can feather the gas pedal from there to get the motor running again.

As for a good time to come down, for me, next weekend (7/24 to 7/27) is good for me as that is my long weekend off of work that will give us plenty of time to figure things out and work around your schedule.

Quick Reply: Restricted Performance Warning Light