XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Retrofit AHBA

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2021, 09:54 AM
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Question Retrofit AHBA

Hi guys,

My Jag is 2017 XJL. It does not support AHBA(Auto High Beam Assist). I decided that install retrofit-AHBA. There are two ways - install rear view mirror with HCMB or IPMA. IPMA thought it was difficult to install (maybe windshield must be change). So I bought a rear view mirror with HCMB. Part number is FW93-17E678-HC and It is for Jaguar XJ(X351) 2017.

I could not find HCMB in SDD's Vehicle Specification tab. There was only IPMA.

I can see "IPMA is connected" when I installed the new rear view mirror. Yes, it is not IPMA.

The problem is that AHBA does not activated. There is no change in the cluster.

(this is sample image from internet)

If I return previous mirror, AHBA is activated (I can see AHBA icon). Of course I can't use AHBA because it doesn't have HCMB.

(this is sample image from internet)

I think it's a problem that's caused by recognizing HCMB as IPMA. How do I use HCMB in my car? Anybody has good idea for me?

Many thanks!
KIM

Old 03-17-2021, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

To my knowledge the AUTO Icon is activated when an auto off headlamp delay is set on the lighting stalk.

Old 03-17-2021, 08:52 PM
Red face

Thanks for your answer. Headlight delay was not used.

1. Old rear view mirror (witout HCMB) : IPMA does not work on SDD / AHBA light light on in cluster / function does not work.
2. New rear view mirror (with HCMB) : IPMA shows work on SDD / AHBA light does not light on in cluster / function does not work.

I guess IPMA is an option for my Jag. But I installed the rear view mirror with HCMB. I think IPMA and HCMB will work differently. In other words, the module was well installed, but Jag sent a command for IPMA, but HCMB doesn't seem to be able to respond properly. Of course this is just my guess.

Thank you!
KIM

Old 03-18-2021, 08:29 AM
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Not sure what HCMB stands for but Auto headlamp operation uses IPCM.Auto High Beam (AHB)

The Auto High Beam (AHB) system is controlled by the Image Processing Control Module (IPCM) which is located in the interior rear view mirror body and by the CJB. The module and the CJB are connected via the MS CAN bus.

The IPCM receives a power supply from the CJB when the ignition is in power mode 6 (ignition on). The rear view mirror also includes a low resolution camera (image) sensor which detects headlamps and tail lamps of preceding vehicles. The sensor is connected to the control module which evaluates the image data, checking for light intensity and location.

If conditions are correct, the control module will activate the AHB by sending a high or low beam request message to the CJB via the MS CAN bus. The CJB then controls the shutter in the Bi-Xenon projector module.

Old 03-18-2021, 10:59 AM
Wink

@Rummy636 , Thank you for your advice.

I was wrong, I knew that the interior rear view mirror's camera module was called HCMB(Headlight Control Module B). I checked the pins on the connector and I found that the two pin layouts were different. Both connectors' Part number is PBT-GF30.

I thought I should check the electric guide. And I could find it.

MS-CAN's pin was found on another page.

RESULT:
1 - IGN (from RJB)
2 - REVERSE_INHIBIT (from CJB)
3 - GND
4 - OEC + (Driver side door mirror)
5 - OEC - (Passenger side door mirror)
7 - MS_CAN_NEG (NEW!!)
8 - MS_CAN_POS (NEW!!)

Both mirrors work auto-dimming feature. OEC+(4)/OEC-(5) connected to the exterior rear view mirror. You are right, I found that the new Mirror has 2 more pins for MS_CAN. Because #1 to #5 is the same layout as old mirror, I'm guessing that there will be no CJB issues. (..right..?)

I have already modified all AHBA related options in CCF. Could I possibly know which module MS_CAN is connected to? I want to compare that module with SAJWA2G79G8W02723(VIN of the vehicle with my new mirror removed) to see if it can be changed with the same software.

Many Thanks,
KIM

Last edited by gloriashield; 03-18-2021 at 11:14 AM.
Old 03-18-2021, 11:09 AM

First of all, do you have the two pins in the connector for MS_CAN that goes to the body. If you dont, there's you issue. You need to make sure the CAN wires are there and work.

Old 03-18-2021, 11:35 AM

Thank you!

I'll check if 7/8 pins are working. If they are not connected, I feel that I may have to give up. I wish I could write a positive thread.

Many thanks!
KIM

Originally Posted by Rummy636
First of all, do you have the two pins in the connector for MS_CAN that goes to the body. If you dont, there's you issue. You need to make sure the CAN wires are there and work.

Old 03-18-2021, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by gloriashield
Thank you!

I'll check if 7/8 pins are working. If they are not connected, I feel that I may have to give up. I wish I could write a positive thread.

Many thanks!
KIM
Have to check with a voltmeter at pins 7 to ground and 8 to ground with key on. Should be around 2.3-2.3 on pin 7 and 2.7-2.8 on pin 8. Give or take a little voltage.

Old 03-19-2021, 10:28 AM
Unhappy

@Rummy636 , Thank you for your detail.

I measured the voltage on 7/8 PIN and #7 was 2.1V, #8 was 2.7V. #8 is the same as you said, #7 is a little lower, but I thought there is no problem with CAN working.

And IPMA could be found in Part Info. Connection seems to be fine.

I found the "Configure new modules - Image processing control module A" menu in the "Service Functions" tab!

The procedure proposed by SDD is as follows:

I followed these instructions, but couldn't proceed any further.
  1. I clicked the test begin tick button
  2. increased my Jag's speed to 65kph
  3. and held it at this speed.
  4. failure after about 20 seconds.
  5. at night and turned on headlamp

If I'm right, I think I'll be able to use AHBA after learning IPMA. Anybody know that any information about this test condition? Please help me.

Best Regards,
KIM

Old 03-19-2021, 12:41 PM
zYx
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Gloriashield, are you trying to convert to full spec? What's next, Adaptive Cruise Control?

Old 03-19-2021, 08:17 PM

@zYx

Congratulations! It seemed to work very well. And the sensor monitoring problem has also been solved. Right? Good! AHBA is not often needed, because Korea is a small country, but I want to try it.

Old 03-19-2021, 08:40 PM

Hi Guys,

I compared the modules of the two Jags and tabulated the different.

My Jag's AS Built didn't have HCM and HCMB. Neither Jags had IPMA module information, however, W02723 had an HCMB module. Looking at the image below, I am guessing that HCMB is for AHBA.

Perhaps, my Jag's IPMA information seems very likely to be from HCMB and this is my new Rear View Mirror(/w Camera). Next step is to make sure my Jag is equipped with the correct HCM for AHBA.

I have 2 questions.
  1. Where is HCM?
  2. HCM's Part number for Jaguar XJ 2016-2017.

If you know anyone, please advise to me.

Many Thanks!
KIM

Old 03-22-2021, 09:02 AM
Unhappy

Hi guys,

I looked at electrical circuit diagrams and I knew that there must be an HCM for use AHBA. According to TOPIX, HCM on the back of the passenger's glove box, I tried to find it.

However ... where is my HCM ......

I'm almost giving up. Very sad. I will try a little more and give up.

Thanks,
KIM