XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Retrofitting Meridian Reference

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2024, 12:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Retrofitting Meridian Reference

Hello colleagues.

I've bought an XJ50 last summer and so far I'm very happy with the vehicle. However, my car came with the standard Meridian system (not the surround one) and I'm thinking of upgrading it as I've come across a full set of Meridian Reference speakers together with the Reference amplifier (S. PREM 24, I'll attach some photos of the amplifier with the wiring below). My question is, I suppose my amplifier is the "High 12" one, therefore, could I swap out the standard amplifier with the Reference one and then just simply install the missing center speaker in the dashboard and the rear parcel shelf coaxial speakers? I'm not planning on installing the additional speakers supposed to go in the backs of the front seats. I realize that SDD programming will be needed to enable the new amplifier and its additional features like the surround, however, would there be anything else I should be aware of?

Regards,
David

Old 03-14-2024, 07:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,925 Posts

Without the full system including the speakers in the back of the front seats I can't see how this will work? It's all based on DSP and since your missing some speakers the system expects to be there what will happen? How can the surround work if your missing speakers?

I recommend doing what I did? I swapped all 4 door woofers and the two rear deck woofers to the Kevlar Reference drivers from the Reference system. We have massive threads on this with all the part numbers. I found it a nice upgrade as I also spent significant time applying sound deadening pads in the doors, rear seat area and the trunk.

Old 03-14-2024, 11:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Without the full system including the speakers in the back of the front seats I can't see how this will work? It's all based on DSP and since your missing some speakers the system expects to be there what will happen? How can the surround work if your missing speakers?

I recommend doing what I did? I swapped all 4 door woofers and the two rear deck woofers to the Kevlar Reference drivers from the Reference system. We have massive threads on this with all the part numbers. I found it a nice upgrade as I also spent significant time applying sound deadening pads in the doors, rear seat area and the trunk.
Thanks for the reply! I suppose I would achieve the surround option by installing a centre speaker in the dashboard and by adding two additional coaxial speakers on the rear parcel shelf? I'm thinking of doing what you did - to replace all the speakers within the vehicle with the upgraded Meridian Reference one. Did you, by any change, upgrade to the Reference speaker as well?

Old 03-15-2024, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member

We have several large threads on this and it depends as always?
After reading other installs it seemed the tweeters and mid ranges were not much different between the two systems. The most improvement came from replacing the woofers.
So I just replaced the woofers. Another reason was in those threads we were able to get the reference speakers at a very good price. I ordered all mine from the UK and even with shipping it was much cheaper than anywhere else.

Also one more thing? The reference speakers are 2 ohm and the non-reference speakers are 4 ohm. It does not seem to cause any problems but from my days of doing stereo installations I was afraid the low impedance might stress the factory amps. Higher current draw and all that. No problems for me using the stock amps.

Here are some threads and again it seems the F-Type guys do way more mods than other Jaguar models.
Massive F-Type Stereo Upgrade thread.
F-Type Stereo Speakers
Woofer Upgrade

If you see any posts by Cambo be sure and take a look! He laid everything out with part numbers. Also remember that for every Jaguar part number there is a Land Rover part number. This can be a huge help when looking for parts. Why I don't know but I often find LR parts cheaper than Jaguar parts?

Massive Cambo Stereo Upgrade Thread
This last thread will go over the entire system,changes and part numbers with many great pictures. It's well worth your time to read the whole thing before you decide what to do?

Another Cambo thread.
Speaker Upgrade

Last edited by clubairth1; 03-15-2024 at 08:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (03-16-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 10:37 AM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1

Do you have pictures of all the sound deadening you did?

Old 03-19-2024, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member

No there is really nothing to show? Just cut and stick the pads to whatever surface you want to treat.
Couple of suggestions?
Clean the surface before attaching the pads.
Use a roller to press the material in all the nooks and cranny's as best you can. This is really key to making it stay put. You will find the factory did install damping pads but only on a small portion of the metal. I also did the door panels as well as inside the door cavity.
The XJ is very quiet stock but I can hear the difference because of the sound pads.

If I had not been upgrading the speakers I don't think I would have gone to all the trouble. I spent a number of hour's installing it. Remove as much trim as possible and I just keep installing it until I ran out of material. I don't know if you can over do it or not but more is better!