XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

roof recall

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 02:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default roof recall

Has anyone confirmed that there really is a roof recall. Jag techs feel welcome to pipe in.

My dealership called to say there was a recall on one of the battery cables and I have an appointment to get that done, as well as a muffler tail that has come loose, as well as trying to get rid of rattle again in the rear passenger belt tensioner.

If there is a roof recall I would certainly like to make sure they are aware and do it as the car still makes creaking noise in the rear roof.

Old 06-08-2012, 04:03 PM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Tell them when you go in that it's still creaking. I had the supposed "fix of all fixes" done last Oct. Worked until April and it started coming back but nothing like before. I called the dealer and they told me there was a "recall" on the roof and their was a different kit out. I had that done and it's fine now. I can still hear a slight shifting in certain occasions but I think that's normal. I can live with it........

Old 06-18-2012, 10:55 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes there is a roof recall.
I just completed the recall work on the rattling last week. They had to replace bushings in the roof with rubber ones, versus plastic that were originally installed. The repair seems to work as I expected. I haven't heard the annoying rattling since I picked up the car.

The following users liked this post:
splatter88 (10-21-2014)
Old 06-18-2012, 01:28 PM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

I just looked to make sure. There is no recall for the roof. Theres only 1 recall for the wiper arm securing nut. The field service action bulletin is still k117nas1 with teflon washers not rubber someone is fos.
Bulletins are only done on a complaint basis. So you dont say anything, nothing is done. Bulletins are only done once, theyll have to do something else to repair. You cant claim a bulletin if its already been done. If it didnt fix it you have issue differing from the repair spec'd in the bulletin

Old 06-18-2012, 04:13 PM

The service dept. reps should stop using the word "recall" then because that's what they told me........

Old 06-19-2012, 09:21 AM

^^^^yep go tell em, they need to be specific, and recall would still be done as a warranty repair even if the factory warranty expired as long as the criteria for recall still apply.
and service bulletin is a recommendation/required proceedure for a repaired based on complaint/failure. it IS covered under warranty IF youre still under factory warranty. after that a bulletin still applies to repair, but the cost is now yours after your warranty expires

Old 06-19-2012, 05:24 PM

So help me understand this...... My dealer replaced the battery monitor cable without me complaining about it. It was done on my last roof creak in April, which was fixed. However, with all the problems with the roof for the 2011 models, and I think every car made had them, they didn't issue a "recall"? A TSB is not a recall? I'm just trying to figure this out. I've noticed lately that my trunk doesn't close at times when I press the button. Does that mean that there may be a bulletin out on it and unless I complain nothing will be done. I also had an experience lately that while driving down the road my car turned off. When I turned off the side of the road and came to a stop it restarted when I pressed the button. It's only done that once but I've heard it's been a problem on other models. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated. I love my car but some of these little idiosyncrasies are to say the least annoying.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:33 PM

You always need to bring items to the advisors attention, they dont read minds. As i said it depends on the "wording" of the bulletin. If it says to do it at the next opportunity(like a service visit) then thats when its to be done. The advisors are to check on jaguars dealer network for any open campaigns. And no not all new xj's have the roof creak issue. And as i said if the bulletin has been done and is no longer open then it cannot be done again. Thats not the same as its fixed for you 1 time and if that didnt do it then youre done. You still need to bring it to the advisors atten. And theyll have to try something else, determine if it the noise coming from the "fixed areas" or is it something differant just still in the roof area?

Old 06-19-2012, 11:15 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the K117 done last week a few days ago I lowered the radio to make sure and on the driveway incline I heard the creak. Today while driviving over wavy roads it started rattling , knocking again.
When I drive 10 miles an hour and the car glides I hear the creaking it sounds like over the passenger door. I tried pushing various spots in the roof headliner and that makes noises too. It might be the alacantra roof itself.
I can't pinpoint it but it's driving my wife nuts because of my Complaining.
Not even a week this lasted. I'm not sure what to do .
Brutal Help!

Old 06-20-2012, 08:32 AM

^^^go back and tell them its started again. you know we DO drive cars when done to verify a complaint repair. But even then due to things like temp and additional potholes etc..noises can and do sometimes return. The biggest issue is the new Jags are just TOO DAMN QUIET compared to the older ones and you pick up on noises easier as a driver with the radio off.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:48 AM

Brutal,
What is causing the creaking? It doesn't seem to be the roof.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:49 AM

Brutal,
Are the 2012's having roof issues and creaking?

Old 06-20-2012, 05:34 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

My service advisor tells me that whenever you bring your car in for service they check your records to see which TSB's have not been performed and then do them without asking if you are having a problem or want them done. For instance, the last time I took the car in they replaced the center console compartment latch because they had a TSB that said they were defective and causing the lid to open by itself without pushing on the bar (I wish they had not done this because now you really have to push on the bar hard to get it to open and I was not experiencing any problem with the original latch and did not complain). Since I did complain about the roof popping I don't know if they would have addressed that TSB if I hadn't mentioned the problem.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by aceeg
brutal,
are the 2012's having roof issues and creaking?
we have yet to have anyone complain that ive heard of.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Brutal
we have yet to have anyone complain that ive heard of.
So to your knowledge Jaguar NA is aware of the roof popping and it has been resolved in the 2012's ?

Old 06-21-2012, 08:44 AM

So to your knowledge Jaguar NA is aware of the roof popping and it has been resolved in the 2012's ?
Jaguar of North America aware??? No Jaguar UK and parent company Tata. is was not a back burner item by any meens.

Old 06-23-2012, 01:39 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the K117 done last week a few days ago I lowered the radio to make sure and on the driveway incline I heard the creak. Today while driviving over wavy roads it started rattling , knocking again.
When I drive 10 miles an hour and the car glides I hear the creaking it sounds like over the passenger door. I tried pushing various spots in the roof headliner and that makes noises too. It might be the alacantra roof itself.
I can't pinpoint it but it's driving my wife nuts because of my Complaining.
Not even a week this lasted. I'm not sure what to do .
Brutal Help!
I already answered in another thread. If it is the same problem as in mine (a subtle clack at the back of your head when the body of the car is torsioned) try the following: lift the roof (first position, not completely open). You will see two plastic hooks in the body at the rear side of the roof opening. Try to wrap them with a bit of isolating tape or similar (with me it worked with only one round of tape). It worked for me.

I think the noise comes from the respective slight relative movement between the plastic hook and the latch under the glass roof which it holds. When the body of the car is torsioned (which is normal) said pieces which are in contact make a relative movement(probably very slight) which makes that noise.

I put the tape, drove, no noise. Removed the tape, did the same ride, noise back. Tape again, same ride, no noise. Today the whole day ride through the same roads and no noise. Opened and closed the roof several times. Noise did not come back. Hope it stays like that.

The following users liked this post:
splatter88 (10-21-2014)
Old 06-23-2012, 01:42 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

With regard to the volume control, I have never had any problem. It works perfect for me, with radio, USB, CD...

Old 06-27-2012, 11:58 PM

Is it just me having a issue with the roof popping again ? Or is it my dealer ?
After 4attempst to fix it now they will try again next week for a 5th time , is it just me?

Old 06-29-2012, 02:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had 3 or 4 fixes, lost count. Works for a little while and then noises come back.
Can't wait till the winter to hear what it sounds like, that was the worst last year.

Quick Reply: roof recall