XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

roof recall

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 05:58 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

I've had no roof pops since the car was worked on with the latest TSB over a year ago. I did have a rattle develop toward the rear of the roof recently that stopped when I opened the rear shade--turned out to be a couple of broken clips that hold the roof liner to the roof that the dealer fixed last week when I took the car in for its annual service. Now completely noise free.

I firmly believe that if you can't get this problem fixed it's the fault of your incompetant dealer. Jaguar has identified the problem and given their dealers the information and parts needed to get this fixed once and for all.

Old 07-01-2012, 02:12 AM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Well now my roof is pissing me off because they can't seem to fix it and the last fix they tired actually made it worse. But for their credit they continue to try. My question is if this problem has been fixed in the 2012 models why don't they just recall all the 2011's and replace the entire roof?

Old 07-01-2012, 06:20 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by ExpatJag
Well now my roof is pissing me off because they can't seem to fix it and the last fix they tired actually made it worse. But for their credit they continue to try. My question is if this problem has been fixed in the 2012 models why don't they just recall all the 2011's and replace the entire roof?
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

The following users liked this post:
splatter88 (10-21-2014)
Old 07-02-2012, 09:25 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The recall is K117. Your service guy should know about this and fix it. I had it done a couple weeks ago and have had no creaks since.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:58 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Got my k117, and the car is completely quiet, for now. We'll see how long that it lasts.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:56 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

K117 doesn't work that's what they did on mine.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:35 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Already a couple of weeks since I did the "tap-fix" and no noise at all!

Old 07-11-2012, 09:00 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

On my way home from work I heard a bang in the back of my car and the electric sunshade popped off on its own. This is ridiculous.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:15 PM

K117 didn't work for me as well.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:54 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Roof popping noises

This is in reply to the user that posted the U tube videos demonstrating the roof popping noises. This is the exact same noise I had with my 2012 xjl. I made several videos for my local jag dealersip. Same exact noises. I had the car fixed 6 different times. Each time it worked for a couple of weeks. Then the noises came back plus in different places. There is no FIX. I tried to get Jaguar NA to buy the car back. They wouldn't. Out of frustration I sold that car last year. Plus I had the dash rattle and pillar creaks. It was absolutely the worst car I have ever owned and will never buy a Jaguar Land Rover car again. I don't care what they say. There is no fix for affected cars. Plus the local Jag service rep confirmed this after I sold the car. I asked why or how they can keeping selling this car? He said because people keep buying them. Well not many people as sales of the XJL are beyond dismal. And don't believe them when they say this has been fixed at the factory on new models. It's a design flaw and there should have been a class action lawsuit to have these affected cars repurchased under the lemon law.

The following users liked this post:
splatter88 (10-21-2014)
Old 10-21-2014, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Venture
This is in reply to the user that posted the U tube videos demonstrating the roof popping noises. This is the exact same noise I had with my 2012 xjl. I made several videos for my local jag dealersip. Same exact noises. I had the car fixed 6 different times. Each time it worked for a couple of weeks. Then the noises came back plus in different places. There is no FIX. I tried to get Jaguar NA to buy the car back. They wouldn't. Out of frustration I sold that car last year. Plus I had the dash rattle and pillar creaks. It was absolutely the worst car I have ever owned and will never buy a Jaguar Land Rover car again. I don't care what they say. There is no fix for affected cars. Plus the local Jag service rep confirmed this after I sold the car. I asked why or how they can keeping selling this car? He said because people keep buying them. Well not many people as sales of the XJL are beyond dismal. And don't believe them when they say this has been fixed at the factory on new models. It's a design flaw and there should have been a class action lawsuit to have these affected cars repurchased under the lemon law.
I love my Jaguar XJL Supercharged. I will tell you its very tech deficient at it's price point, I'm completely disappointed with the Bowers and Wilkens Stereo system(I own a home system), the infotainment system is a joke, and there are some fit and finish issues that shouldn't be there, plus there is that dumb roof popping thing. But through all that I still love my Jaguar.

I agree with you that I too think it is some design flaw because mine is once again making noise. It is not bad but when I change inclines I hear it. Someone said its not Jaguar's fault it's incompetent dealers. Listen up everyone, the dealers ARE Jaguar. Though the ownership of ANY car 99 percent of that experience is through the dealer. The dealers for better or for worse are the face of any parent car company. So it is the responsibility of THAT PARENT CAR COMPANY to ensure their dealer network is representing them in the manner that supports their core mission. So if there are incompetent dealers it is that parent companies fault. Each dealer signs a contract with the parent company that they will operate inside certain parameters and if they don't the parent company has the right to suspend their ability to sell their cars. No different than any other franchise/franchisee relationship.

Jaguar NA/UK should have all their mechanics go back to their dealership and train the other mechanics. Its called train the trainer. Dealers that refuse to send mechanics are banned from selling new models until they comply. And when you have an issue that is as big as the roof popping situation you either pay to have the lead mechanics come back or you send a trainer to each dealer. Thats what a world-class automobile company does.

In the end Jaguar/Land Rover will never be BMW/Audi/Mercedes because they do not have enough money and seem to be at the mercy of their dealer network. It seems that the dealers runs Jaguar and not the other way around. It is a really a sad state of affairs because Jaguar is making some really beautiful cars these days. I'm sure I won't buy another Jaguar after this model runs its lifecycle but I do love my Jaguar XJL Supercharged.

The following 2 users liked this post by ExpatJag:
amcdonal86 (10-21-2014), splatter88 (10-21-2014)
Old 10-23-2014, 05:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 498 Likes on 297 Posts

Not to throw gas on a smoldering fire, here, but let me be the devil's advocate...

The panoramic, 2 piece, glass roof of an XJ-L, takes a huge structural portion of the car, out of the car.

Given that, how can the car NOT flex a little, with that much aluminum out of the roof??