XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Running Dunlop SportMax...Which tires to get next

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 10:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Running Dunlop SportMax...Which tires to get next

Just had to replace Dunlop SportMax tires on the front after 14,000 miles...supposedly I had an alignment issue causing them to wear on the inside aggressively. Anyway had to get the new tires without a thought as to possibly switching to something different. I am obsessed about tires and usually do a lot of research and enjoy doing it before buying a new set.

1. So I am interested in what other people are running....likes dislikes.
2. Anyone running a tire that is more for long distance commuting that may last longer? Just a thought. I don't mind the tires I have but If I there was a tire that would last longer than a year that would be nice. I'm doing about 14,000 highway miles a year, plus 1,000 city miles. I searched tire rack and came up with nothing.
3. My other thought is to get snow tires and run those for 4 months a year as well. I had my first snow season in the Jag and was in desperate need of traction so was considering it anyway.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:34 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

What has your experience been with the Dunlops? The one issue I find with any tire fit for the Jag is that all of them wear pretty quickly. There are users on here with Pirelli's that are only lasting them 8K miles!

I'm at the end of my Delinte Thunder D7 tires. I've gotten about 15K miles out of the rears which isn't bad. I got them as interim tires and wasn't planning on keeping them as long as I did. They are pretty noisy and have a pretty aggressive tread for being all season. Doesn't do too bad in the snow and the dry traction is pretty good. Not my favorite tire, but at $67 per tire, it's easy to live with the road noise!

I'm going with a set of Continentals next. Phenomenal traction and very quiet. Tirerack.com has 3 different sets to choose from and they rate very highly. Plus the tread pattern and compound is near identical to what they use in the IMSA series!

The following users liked this post:
coxzilla97 (07-02-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 09:51 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I stay with what is on the car unless you are looking for less performance
and longer lasting.
However , There are few more companies selling Jag tires.
Front & rear are different sizes and will cost $1000 + for
all four. I have not checked them out yet. Don't know of the reviews.

Last edited by Pa.Bill; 06-08-2016 at 10:10 AM.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:26 PM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

There is a thread where some folks were talking about running Michelin Pilot Super Sports (PSS), but as I understand it, you would have to be willing to run the XJR tire (same wheels). I believe that person using them was getting about 16-17 K out of the tires, but driving them pretty hard. Depends also if you need all-weather vs summer tires as the PSS is a summer tire . I recall also some discussion about the Pilot A/S 3 for all weather as a possibility, but some question about availability of the front tire size. I am planning on switching over to the Michelin PSS as soon as I need new tires (thank god for warm weather in Florida). I think the thread also mentions a couple of other alternatives and their experience with them. Good luck.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...hem-xj-156785/

coxzilla97 (07-02-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 09:33 PM
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Pirelli tires came on my automobile and I'm already at 16,500 miles. My dealership said I could probably get another year out of them. Never thought I'd like Pirelli tires 'cause had them on my '76 Z car and said I would never again go w/ them. However, when it's time for me to make a change I am considering the Continental tires, or again my go with Pirelli's.
My Jaguar is not a daily driver; it stays in the garage if snow is on the ground during the winter and I'll drive the 4 X 4 GMC.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

drsn97um I believe you may be referring to me regarding the Michelin Pilot SuperSport tires in XJR size and that I, in deed, got 18k out of the first set as I have recently installed my second set. I now see that PSS tires are available in our OEM sizes on Tirerack in both BMW (*) compound and non OEM compound. I will say that during the entire tread life of the PSS over-sized I had no tread noise at all and the only issue with the tires was that they run a little hard in cold weather. I run 39psi all around on the XJR size and that is perfect for me. If one chooses to run the OEM size I would recommend 37psi as that was the pressure I ran on the OEM Dunlaps that gave me the best ride and handling. I know these tires are expensive, but IMHO no one builds a better rounder tire.

Last edited by XJsss; 06-09-2016 at 09:33 AM.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 498 Likes on 297 Posts

Our first Jag, an '01 XJ8, came with Pirellis as OE, and due to a rear toe setting that was off from the outset, we got only about 6000 miles out of that set of tires. I'll take partial blame for that, as I just didn't notice the odd wear on the RR tire, primarily due to the smaller wheel openings restricting my view of the inner edge of the rear tires. I had the car aligned, and replaced the Pirellis with a set of the now-discontinued Firestone SZ50s. Although the Firestones wore evenly, they didn't last all that long, either. I then installed a set of Goodyear Eagle GTs. They wore well, and were on the car when we traded it for our current XJ-L.

The XJ-L currently has a little over 12,000 miles, in 4 years, on it's OE Pirellis, and they're wearing quite well. If they continue to wear at the current rate, they'll probably need replacing due to old age, rather that being worn out. Having said that, alignment was also an issue with this car, again, from the outset.

There were a couple of issues with the car when we first got it, and it was at the dealer for several days. While I was checking on the progress being made with the car, I got talking with the lead tech, and the conversation got around to wheel alignment. He said he'd check our car, as a courtesy, while it was there. He later told me that it was "way off", and he was surprised that it wasn't obviously noticeable to me, but then since we only had a couple of hundred miles on the car at the time, we were just getting to know it, so it was possible that we hadn't yet realized it.

In conclusion, wheel alignment, tire pressure, and driving styles all have an effect on tire wear. (FWIW, I run my tires at 32 PSI, cold, set with a calibrated gauge)

Old 06-30-2016, 07:31 AM
Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

If you want to read some "spirited" tire discussions, go over to the X150 section. Lots of opinion, many very strong.

coxzilla97 (07-02-2016)
Old 07-09-2016, 02:17 PM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

I just added the Continental's from the Pirellis. Time will tell, but I hated the Pirellis.

Old 07-10-2016, 11:16 AM
Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

I guess it's all in the way one drives. Way back in time, I had a V-12 XJS. I have no idea what tires were on it but I blew through them in about 9 or 10,000 miles. Today, I drive a bit less enthusiastically, although every now and then head up to the N.C. mountains to do a few of the "twisties", such as "Tail of the Dragon" and "Diamond Back". My XJ has about 25,000 on it right now and maybe has a couple of thousand more to go. They're the original Pirelli P-Zeros. Seem to be O.K. for me.

Old 07-10-2016, 01:24 PM
Veteran Member

dsd if you now find that your speedometer MPH is off you can have a dealer hook up their SDD computer and have them go into the wheel size and then sub menu of tire type (Standard, snow, and All Season) and then the sub menu under that and select Continental and that should return your to the correct MPH.

LiquidIce (07-11-2016)
Old 07-11-2016, 12:08 PM
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by XJsss
dsd if you now find that your speedometer MPH is off you can have a dealer hook up their SDD computer and have them go into the wheel size and then sub menu of tire type (Standard, snow, and All Season) and then the sub menu under that and select Continental and that should return your to the correct MPH.

Hmm, did you experience the MPH being off when you switched tires? I switched from Pirellis to Continentals (like dsd, I absolutely hated the Pirellis), but I purchased them from my dealer (who matched the Tirerack price), so hoping they performed the procedure outlined in your post above.

Old 07-11-2016, 03:28 PM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by LiquidIce
Hmm, did you experience the MPH being off when you switched tires? I switched from Pirellis to Continentals (like dsd, I absolutely hated the Pirellis), but I purchased them from my dealer (who matched the Tirerack price), so hoping they performed the procedure outlined in your post above.
Same. The tire sizes are the same, not sure why we would need to adjust the speedo. That said, its Jaguar, so who knows :-)

I had multiple bubbling issues with the Pirellis. They just did not seem to wear well.

Best,
dsd

Old 07-11-2016, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member

As I changed tire size and therefore tire diameter we went in and selected 20", All Season, Pirelli in the SDD as that was corresponding to the Pirelli P Zero's (265/35/20 and 295/30/20) that are on the XJR. You should be fine.

LiquidIce (07-13-2016)
Old 07-13-2016, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by dsd
I had multiple bubbling issues with the Pirellis. They just did not seem to wear well.

Best,
dsd

I nearly lost control of my car a few years ago when I had the Pirellis and was driving in some very mild winter conditions (just a few patches of snow)...thank God I was able to get control back of my car just in time to prevent a bad accident.

After that I immediately changed them out to the Continental DWS tires, and have driven in some much heavier winter conditions (with Snow mode on of course) since then, and felt so much better and in control of the car.

I live in NC and it seldom snows, but the control of my car in wet and snowy conditions has made me a fan for life of the Continentals. I will say that the road noise is louder than the Pirellis, but I quite like it and it doesn't seem to bother me.

Old 07-13-2016, 06:37 PM
Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by LiquidIce
I will say that the road noise is louder than the Pirellis, but I quite like it and it doesn't seem to bother me.
No arguing the benefits and need for all-weather (DWS) or snow tires when the temps drop. Summer performance tires + wet + cold temps = an accident waiting to happen.

You do, however, lose me on the idea of liking more road noise.

Old 07-15-2016, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by RoonieQ
No arguing the benefits and need for all-weather (DWS) or snow tires when the temps drop. Summer performance tires + wet + cold temps = an accident waiting to happen.

You do, however, lose me on the idea of liking more road noise.

Lol...it is not nearly so much the road noise, as the sound of the tires rolling on the asphalt...it takes me back to an old Jeep which my parents had and brings back good memories, which is why I guess I don't mind the noise of the tire on the road.

Old 01-21-2021, 09:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire disposal option

In most Canadian provinces, tires older than 6 years are deemed "Stale dated". They are no longer considered to be mechanically fit and do not pass inspection. (Regardless of condition!?)
Having said that, not all facilities adhere to all the regulations!?
I pre-sold my older tires to someone who didn't care.
2007 X Type Sportwagon

Old 01-21-2021, 02:47 PM
Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

First set I bought for my X350 were Goodyear Eagle Sport M&S, 97W rated. Good all around performance tires that handle excellent in dry, are quiet, work excellent in rain and have been great in snow and ice so far at about 3.5K miles.

Old 01-21-2021, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 420 Likes on 320 Posts

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. Brilliant all rounder, lasting well. Not at all bad in snow.

Quick Reply: Running Dunlop SportMax...Which tires to get next