XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Sat Nav Update - again

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2022, 06:59 PM
Received 593 Likes on 368 Posts
Default Sat Nav Update - again

I am new to the X351 - if I wanted to update the onboard satnav maps what are my options - there seem to be a few posts that ended badly (update failure - destroyed coding).

I don't depend on sat nav but the wife does and I'd like things to be as current as poss - car's a 2010 portfolio - yes really I don't care but the wife does.

I don't plan to spend hundreds here - just so the intent is clear (given that my Garmin portable has lifetime updates)

I'll also consider an upgrade path to the 2019 systems

Last edited by BenKenobi; 12-11-2022 at 07:15 PM. Reason: clarification of requirement
Old 12-12-2022, 11:23 AM
Received 237 Likes on 180 Posts

Hello,

I have 2010 Portfolio too.
Been updated XJ onboard navi 2-3 times and here are hints:
- Maps are made by Here, but the packgage have to be made for Jaguar, since the onboard IAM 2.1 (originally Ford system) software are locked / unlocked to the automotive grade harddisk by host ATA protection and an key code for update are generated by your vehicle VIN number. (there are a way to unlock the hard drive - needs somewhat more effort - Info by searcing Volvo forums)
- You can purchase "offical" map update: https://here.navigation.com/product/...B/HEREEMEA/EUR
or search eBay. (i used eBay)
- No matter where you bought, you will receive an USB stick, where are approx 22 GB data inside. (if yoou choose download and add the files yourself on the USB stick, use only high quality USB stick. (exsample Sandisk extreme) USB stick shall not have check inventory flag up. It have been stopped correctly before removed from computer, if added to the computer before added to the car.
Now important information to avoid ending in disaster: IAM 2.1 have version 1.1 USB port. The speed of the port are 11MB/sek. So, for the amount of data needed to handle are huge for the speed of the port!!
* Be patient
* Take any other USB stick or device out from any of USB ports on central console.
* I assume that both ports working, you can test the ports by copying some MP3:s on any other USB stick under 64Gb of size and play the music. (check handbook how to play music from USB)
* Insert the update USB stick on either of the USB ports on central console with engine running. Do not use or add any other USB device during upgrade than the update stick. If you tested the music, remove that stick too before adding the update stick.
* Wait untill system regonises the update stick. This can take from 1 min to 15min or even more... the data transfer speed are low.
* When system regonices the update, it will ask you add the code or cancel. (only possible moment to cancel)
* Add the code you have received from the seller of the update once you have sent your VIN nr.
* Update will start. It will take 2.5 - 3 hours and you can use the car normally during that time. You can stop and lock the car for a night, it will continue in next time you start the car. JUST DON`T ever remove the stick from the port untill system tell you to do so.
* The radio, TV, Navi, external audio, BT etc are out of order during the update.
* If you get noted that there have been an error in media or any other error, do not remove the stick. Stop the car and lock the doors for +10min and it will continue again after you start up again. (if the internal HDD heats up by continous writing on it, it will slow down and give an error)
* You will be shown an % of the update process during update.
* Once update are finished you are prompted to remove the stick and reboot the system by locking the car.

Just remember: Do NOT remove the stick. Not safe even if you shut the engine. The system will be on more than 10min after you have lock the doors. (in any case you need to remove the stick after you inserted it before end of the update do following: Open one of the front window. Shut the car, step off and lock the doors. (with singe press) Wait +15min. Leave keyless entry key more than 10m away of the car and lean in from open window and remove stick. DO NOT UNLOCK door now without stick on place in same port it have been in. Because when system wake up it expects that the stick are in place and it will continue the update. If the stick is not there there are high risk of briking the whole operating software (QNX) on IAM 2.1.
I have been made my updates on long journeys (+3hours) so the update have been finished in one run. I helped my friend to make his, and he did it in a week bit by bit, by short daily journeys.
From origonal the speech got much better and some translation errors been fixed. (Finnish) Also noticed better route calculation and bit more responsive after update. (turn the "animation" off, to have even more response - You only lose the small "star" in a top corner after touch)
If you follow instructions, there shall not be any problems.

Ps: i think update for +2012 are not possible, since there was some changes in instrument cluster, button panel etc in 2013...?

The following users liked this post:
christ (12-16-2022)
Old 03-05-2023, 08:35 AM
Received 237 Likes on 180 Posts

Hello,

Just installed 2020 update for my XJ. (map data Q3/19) According to Here this are last update for 2010-2015 XJ:s.
Noted few things what was different from previous:
- When update started it took very long time from 0% to 5% (~15min)
- Took bit over 3 hours
- In the end when 100% reached the message pop up saying that the update are ready and press Ok to start using new maps. -> However: No maps/black map untill vehicle shutdown and locked for 15min.
- New maps have more colour/graphics (round instrument one) at least my local area and the system speeded up a bit. (small improvement also happened after previous(2018) update) Did not notised improvement for speech from 2018 update. (the 2018 version had allready well localised and good finnish speech)