XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

SC Solid Coupler or Spring?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2024, 12:01 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default SC Solid Coupler or Spring?

Trying to decide which one I should get because there are mixed reviews "SC Solid Coupler? Don't!!" "Noisy supercharger after solid coupler installed"
others use it no noise at all so what is going on?

Last edited by JaguarXJL15; 06-06-2024 at 12:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
QP7 (06-08-2024)
Old 06-06-2024, 04:14 PM

Which way does the SC turn clockwise or counter?
Does the snout pin go before the spring or after the spring?

Last edited by JaguarXJL15; 06-06-2024 at 05:09 PM.
Old 06-07-2024, 08:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 428 Likes on 313 Posts

I have solid not one extra sound, I don't have to worry about the spring wearing away the shaft

Old 06-07-2024, 10:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 352 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by JaguarXJL15
Which way does the SC turn clockwise or counter?
Does the snout pin go before the spring or after the spring?
What does the witness mark from the previous spring show?

You can know you have it right when you hold the supercharger blades from spinning and feel the resistance turning the pulley right and left.

I put a solid coupler in our 3.0L supercharged RRS with 120K miles, and it was super quiet at first, but then made a very noticeable growling noise. So I reluctantly took it apart and fitted a brand new OEM snout. Now the growling noise is gone, but it still clunks at shut off. My 2019 XJL just got a new snout under warranty for clicking noises, but it also still clunks at shut off. Bottom line, you just can't win.

Old 06-08-2024, 02:23 PM
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I just posted this over on the F-Type forum, hopefully it will help here.

I replaced mine on my old XF with updated Eaton part after reading the trouble that the GM LSA guys were having with ZZP and other aftermarket isolator makers. Using the official Eaton part, mine was quiet after replacement and I didn't hear a peep out of it after putting 60K miles on it. Tons of reports online of people replacing their isolators and then having noise develop. Some report noise right away after repair others report the noise developed over time.

Here is the forum where they talk about using aftermarket couplers and the sound going away after moving to the official Eaton part. 4th post down the page.
https://www.g8board.com/threads/lsa-...etness.280901/

I also found this video while getting the direct link to their part. Eaton has a good video showing counterfeit versions of their product floating around, but more importantly they show how solid of a joint their updated coupler makes.

Eaton Supercharger Isolator:
https://superchargersonline.com/prod...-engine-09-14/
They use the exact same Eaton TVS1900 supercharger so don't be alarmed that this is for GM cars.

Hope this helps!

The following 2 users liked this post by GaiaXF-V8S:
dmchao (06-13-2024), User 42324 (06-24-2024)
Old 06-08-2024, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 428 Likes on 313 Posts

The solid one I purchased fits snug and tight, I have 2000 miles on it and silent as a lamb

Old 06-08-2024, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by GaiaXF-V8S
I just posted this over on the F-Type forum, hopefully it will help here.

I replaced mine on my old XF with updated Eaton part after reading the trouble that the GM LSA guys were having with ZZP and other aftermarket isolator makers. Using the official Eaton part, mine was quiet after replacement and I didn't hear a peep out of it after putting 60K miles on it. Tons of reports online of people replacing their isolators and then having noise develop. Some report noise right away after repair others report the noise developed over time.

Here is the forum where they talk about using aftermarket couplers and the sound going away after moving to the official Eaton part. 4th post down the page.
https://www.g8board.com/threads/lsa-...etness.280901/

I also found this video while getting the direct link to their part. Eaton has a good video showing counterfeit versions of their product floating around, but more importantly they show how solid of a joint their updated coupler makes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24s0LwxSGKY

Eaton Supercharger Isolator:
https://superchargersonline.com/prod...-engine-09-14/
They use the exact same Eaton TVS1900 supercharger so don't be alarmed that this is for GM cars.

Hope this helps!
Yeah I had a feeling there are cheap and good quality ones I did not want to buy a random one
I have V6 Supercharged 3.0 AWD I hope this EATON LSA / LS9 Supercharger Coupler fits

Last edited by JaguarXJL15; 06-08-2024 at 10:05 PM.
Old 06-08-2024, 10:09 PM

@JaguarXJL15 Another user just posted this. This is an eBay link to the V6 isolator. The one I linked is for the V8.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12537909232...Bk9SR-jI9af_Yw

JaguarXJL15 (06-08-2024)
Old 06-08-2024, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by lotusespritse

You can know you have it right when you hold the supercharger blades from spinning and feel the resistance turning the pulley right and left.

I put a solid coupler in our 3.0L supercharged RRS with 120K miles, and it was super quiet at first, but then made a very noticeable growling noise. So I reluctantly took it apart and fitted a brand new OEM snout. Now the growling noise is gone, but it still clunks at shut off. My 2019 XJL just got a new snout under warranty for clicking noises, but it also still clunks at shut off. Bottom line, you just can't win.
Which solid coupler did you use?
Dennis recommends the yellow one in the picture off Amazon for only $30 he's had 2000miles and no noise
GaiaXF-V8S EATON LSA / LS9 Supercharger Coupler (Genuine Factory Part) he's put on 60,000miles and no noise $73

Old 06-08-2024, 10:19 PM
Veteran Member

Which solid coupler did you use?
Dennis recommends the yellow one in the picture off Amazon for only $30 he's had 2000miles and no noise
GaiaXF-V8S EATON LSA / LS9 Supercharger Coupler (Genuine Factory Part) he's put on 60,000miles and no noise $73
I used the highly touted ZZ Performance coupler. It seemed just fine in terms of fit and quality, but I had problems. I guess the snout could have coincidentally been on its way out, or the ZZP coupler stressed the coupler. I don't know. But no more noises from the supercharger while running after putting on a new OEM replacement, so at least the supercharger itself wasn't damaged. That would have been a $3-4K DIY fix.

Old 06-10-2024, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,348 Likes on 1,849 Posts

GaiaXF-V8S thanks much for the in-depth explanation of why some solid couplers cause problems. Plus I did not know Eaton had a solid coupler as in the Jaguar TVS1900 world we only got the spring loaded type?

I do see Eaton considers this a recommended upgrade over the factory spring versions. Always interested in what the manufacturer says to do.
Will that LSA coupler fit our TVS1900? It should?

I was going to stay with the factory spring but now I am not so sure??

dmchao (06-13-2024)
Old 06-10-2024, 04:37 PM

What causes the supercharger snout to have play when turning it left and right? I do not see anything wrong with the OEM spring coupler looks exactly the same as the new one expect for the rusty look
maybe it is the snout that is damaged not the spring coupler
Is the new spring coupler supposed to be very snug mine will not go in even after hitting it with a rubber mallet if its the spring that gets worn I can take out the spring from the new and put it into the OEM because the OEM fits no problem
Does the dealership sell the spring coupler alone? if so what is the part number?

The witness mark is the on left side so the pin goes before the spring

Last edited by JaguarXJL15; 06-10-2024 at 08:32 PM.
Old 06-11-2024, 04:02 PM

When the spring coupler starts to have play its not the spring its this other metal piece check arrow
On the new coupler its a few mms down and on the old one its gone a few mms up and that is what causes the problem
I put the old spring inside the new coupler worked perfect no play I put the new spring inside the old coupler same problem there was play only difference I could see between the new and old couplers was that metal piece was in different places

Old 06-13-2024, 02:09 PM

@clubairth1 Yes the LSA coupler offered by Eaton is sold by Supercharges Online. It will fit any TVS1900 in the V8s. The V6 aftermarket solid coupler for the V6 supercharger can be found here https://www.ebay.com/itm/12537909232...Bk9SR-jI9af_Yw

The issue is not just with the original non solid spring style coupler. The spring is made of a harder metal than the input shaft. The spring wears deep grooves into the input shaft changing the torsional vibration thus causing unpleasant noise. Eventually all TVS1900 owners WILL develop noise that sounds like marbles rolling around or a can of rocks sound at idle that goes away with engine RPM and a noticeable clunk on engine shutdown. This has been discussed all over forums anywhere the TVS1900 is used. ZZP, LPE and a few other aftermarket solutions have hit the market with mixed results. The Eaton solid solved the issue on mine with no noise even after 60K miles as well as many other TVS1900 owners. It has been a while, but last I checked, I could not find anyone who replaced their noisy coupler with an Eaton solid and have had any further issues. Brian at Superchargers Online, if he is still with them, can answer more technical questions. There is talk of bearing wear if it is ignored for too long due to increased torsional vibration. If you don't have the noise yet you are more than likely safe from more serious issues. On my '13 I will probably have my supercharger ported as well as a new input shaft and solid coupler put on as well as a litany of other upgrades including FI Interchillers Interchiller solution for combating heat soak beyond what an intercooler can do. If you haven't seen Gasman2 post on the F-Type forum about this mod I highly recommend looking into it. Anyways, in my opinion its the best way to ensure the supercharger never has a problem again due to the original issue.

Sorry for the length, hope this helps!

Old 06-13-2024, 03:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,348 Likes on 1,849 Posts

Just ordered mine!

Yes pictures of the grooved snout shaft have been posted
I wonder if the Harrop R2300 TVS uses the Eaton version? They state it comes with an upgraded solid coupler but no pictures.
2300 Blower

Last edited by clubairth1; 06-13-2024 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-13-2024, 05:39 PM

Ugh, I'm so impatient waiting for VelocityAP to announce something! I believe the 2300s use a solid coupler.

Old 06-22-2024, 07:45 PM

I used the highly touted ZZ Performance coupler. It seemed just fine in terms of fit and quality, but I had problems. I guess the snout could have coincidentally been on its way out, or the ZZP coupler stressed the coupler. I don't know. But no more noises from the supercharger while running after putting on a new OEM replacement, so at least the supercharger itself wasn't damaged. That would have been a $3-4K DIY fix.
How was the coupler when you took it out to replace it? was it loose? or still a tight fit?

Old 06-22-2024, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member

How was the coupler when you took it out to replace it? was it loose? or still a tight fit?
Still tight, just like when it was new.

Old 06-22-2024, 08:09 PM

Still tight, just like when it was new.

How long did you have the solid coupler on when it started to make the growling noise?

Old 06-23-2024, 01:18 AM
Veteran Member

How long did you have the solid coupler on when it started to make the growling noise?
Not sure exactly because the car doesn't stay in town, but it was 8K miles later when I drove it and noticed the problem.

Quick Reply: SC Solid Coupler or Spring?