XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Second rows of buttons on center console -- Are they backlit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 03:46 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Second rows of buttons on center console -- Are they backlit?

Hi, quick question: I have a 2013 Jaguar XJ L Portfolio. Take a look at the photo of the center console below. Regarding the second row of buttons ("MODE", CD Eject, "AV", Music, and Seat Control)--are these backlit like the main top row of buttons? On my Jaguar, this second row of five buttons are not backlit and are difficult to see at night. (The top row of buttons are backlit.)

Just wondering if this is something that my dealer should look at on my next service. Thanks!

2013 Jaguar XJ center console... are these buttons backlit?

Old 02-08-2019, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

Yes

Old 02-17-2019, 07:48 PM
Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Just repeating the word YES.

Also a big hand to Jaguar for making the Recirculation swicth 'permanent' if you hold the recirculation switch in for a few moments. My old XK will turn off recirculation for just few minutes then it starts letting in outside air again. Same problem with Mercedes. I condider this a major breakthru , others may not.

Old 02-18-2019, 01:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Originally Posted by Hailers

Also a big hand to Jaguar for making the Recirculation swicth 'permanent' if you hold the recirculation switch in for a few moments. My old XK will turn off recirculation for just few minutes then it starts letting in outside air again. Same problem with Mercedes. I condider this a major breakthru , others may not.
This is nothing new, and is called the "latched" setting. I had this on my two X350 cars and these date from 2003

Old 02-19-2019, 06:39 AM
Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

This is nothing new, and is called the "latched" setting.......does not work on my '07 XK like the XJL. So........I guess the latching relay does not work on my '07 XK. Thanks for the reply.

Old 03-04-2019, 10:21 PM

Thanks... now to figure out which fuse goes with these lights to see if it's burned out!

Old 03-06-2019, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 362 Posts

There is no fuse that covers just those, all the panel lighting is on the same circuit.

You have a fault with either an LED or other component on the string that covers those buttons. To diagnose further you need to pop the cover off and carefully remove the PCB from the buttons and test for the faulty component. You can just replace that part rather than the entire panel.

Old 03-06-2019, 12:33 PM

Since I have a CarMax warranty that covers stuff like this (and I'm mechanically inept) I'll just let my local Jaguar dealer figure it out the next time I have to take the car in for service... which might be today, because this morning the driver's door has decided it no longer is interested in latching when shut. Ah, British mechanics/electronics.

Old 03-08-2019, 03:42 PM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Hailers

Also a big hand to Jaguar for making the Recirculation swicth 'permanent' if you hold the recirculation switch in for a few moments. My old XK will turn off recirculation for just few minutes then it starts letting in outside air again. Same problem with Mercedes. I consider this a major breakthru , others may not.
That's the worst you can do
Many cars like my previous or even my new Maserati have Recycle with AUTO mode, but my XJ is either ON or OFF no AUTO mode and it is for a reason
what change with AUTO mode ? when the system detects a high level of particles or gas pollution autoside, it activates the recycling mode automatically, closing all entrance of outside air to the inside. ( some people even believe that this is to stop bed smell from outside to come inside which is of course not true)
In ON OFF mode you have to activate it your self doens't matter the conditions.
in Auto mode and in recycling, depending on the number of people inside the car and the weather condition and outside temperature, the system after a while re-open the dumper to let outside air coming inside again, this happen once the level of CO2 and humidity becomes too high inside the car. that's why all cars with aircon with recycling function, have a small grill with a fan inside taking air from the inside to analyze the air quality, some systems even switch off the air'con Compressor in recycling mode to do not dry too much the air as it is also not good for the health
In ON OFF recycling as in the XJ, if you put it ON it stays till the air quality inside becomes poor, ( CO2 humidity level etc), once it reach a level inside not acceptable, it just turn OFF and let the ouside air coming in, and if you want recyling again you must press again the botton.
So if you override the recycling mode in permanent, you are breathing just CO2 and increasing the humidity, if it rains with a crappy weather you have water condensation inside on the windows.

that systems in auto mode or in recycling mode ON only works for a few minutes before it turns OFF or in auto mode open the dumper to let air coming in, to exchange the air and close again.

if you watch near the Start stop botton there is a grill that does the air quality check.

Last edited by Geoffrey Fake; 03-08-2019 at 03:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
XJ8JR (03-08-2019)