XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Seeking advice on the quietest 351

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2023, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,488 Likes on 1,950 Posts

I don't care for noise either and it is a compromise but there is a tire made just for that?
Have you looked at the ContiSilent line from Continental?
Quiet Tire

I guess everyone gonna release a foam tire?
Here is Michelin's version. Michelin® Acoustic Technology Tires.
Foam Filled Tire

Oops! Sorry you already mentioned the Michelin version up thread. Did you try them?
Same idea they have an internal layer of foam attached to the tread.

Last edited by clubairth1; 05-15-2023 at 01:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
QP7 (05-15-2023)
Old 05-15-2023, 01:34 PM
QP7
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
I don't care for noise either and it is a compromise but there is a tire made just for that?
Have you looked at the ContiSilent line?
Quiet Tire
OMG love it... Thank you.

Can we get it in the right size? 245 45 19 - 275 40 19.

Last edited by QP7; 05-15-2023 at 01:38 PM.
Old 06-03-2023, 01:22 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Response from another old guy

Originally Posted by Quietness Preferred
Thank you for all the replies. appreciated. Very good remiinder about the dynamat also - thank you. I too thought they never made a non supercharged V6, but the cars I am looking at are in the far east and the seller claims (probably ignorantly that his is not SC and V6). And I appreciate all the comments about get the best MY year you can and the best model. Having come from the MB W140 model, I know all too well how early model years can be, shall we say, explosively painful. It seems the X351 is much better that many recent MB's (eg W220 - nightmare reliability) and also better right from the get go vs the W140. The "interesting" part is the country I am in, in has NO Jaguar dealer. Yes you heard that right. None. Now before you all think I am crazy, the (so called) MB dealer here is worse than useless anyway. When I bought a 25,000 mile MB wagon they refused to work on it at al (much to my shock)l because it was in the 00's. . So if I do get one of the X351 cars I am looking at I will not do so until I have found a skilled Jaguar independent mechanic locally here. I have heard there is one (or two)... I appreciate the comments that he V6 is quieter. Thank you. As for sticking with the Merc, I still have a V12 W140 in USA, so need to feel young again which given my very advanced years, means I may well be making the switch and defecting to X351. Any advice on what can (or often) go wrong or tends not to, in the 2013 MY suspension would be appreciated. Thanks all...
If I were to do it again, I would find as many JAG mechanics in the area, go and talk to them about servicing the XJ! Ask what they charge for an OIL change, I have paid as much as $240 and as low as $125, now I am going to do it myself. We have a 2013 SWB and wish it were the LWB but it does fine on the road, a lot nicer ride than our 2012 Infinity M37 for sure. Noise is ok, Check into the tires I have heard that Falkner makes a nice riding tire so I will prob switch from the Per's we have on it now to a softer tire.Make sure that the Cooling system has been updated and maybe even new battery. Good luck

QP7 (06-04-2023)
Old 06-07-2023, 10:03 PM
Received 91 Likes on 66 Posts

Whatever you do. Don’t buy a Jaguar F-Type if you are looking for a quiet ride. I traded I my XJ due to being 12 years old / 150,000 miles and Cosmetically worn out. Wife raised 3 kids in it with ivory interior. Purchased a F-Type and the interior road noise is incredibly LOUD. I really miss the XJ.

Old 06-07-2023, 11:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,266 Likes on 2,410 Posts

Originally Posted by Polyesterpig
Whatever you do. Don’t buy a Jaguar F-Type if you are looking for a quiet ride. I traded I my XJ due to being 12 years old / 150,000 miles and Cosmetically worn out. Wife raised 3 kids in it with ivory interior. Purchased a F-Type and the interior road noise is incredibly LOUD. I really miss the XJ.
Yep, my F-Type has a lot more road noise than my XFS or XFR did. Mainly tyre noise and some wind noise. No rattles, squeaks or buzzes though.
I put the increased noise down to JLR skimping on the insulation in the F-Type, it's already a bit of a fat pig so I think they decided to save some weight by reducing the insulation down to the bare minimum. Seems to me that most of the noise comes in through the wheel wells especially the rears and there is stuff all insulation in those wheel wells. I have looked into applying spray on insulation in the wheel wells but couldn't find anything suitable, maybe one day I will experiment with sound deadening panels such as Dynamat up under the wheel well liners, if that is even possible. My research indicates that insulation such as Dynamat is meant to be applied in the cabin under the trim but I am loathe to rip interior trim panels off for fear of damaging the clips or the panels and ending up with poor fitting and/or rattly panels.

Old 06-08-2023, 01:08 AM
Received 91 Likes on 66 Posts

OzXFR I agree with you completely and have the same thoughts. I will probably try sound deadening in the rear trunk first. Really don’t want to start remove interior and door panels to add sound deadening.

Old 06-08-2023, 07:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,133 Likes on 708 Posts

On my XF, I ditched the 19's and went down to 18's, PLUS I chose a tire size slightly bigger overall diameter than the original 19" tires. Overall I got an extra 3/4 inch of sidewall. Day and night difference! Major improvement. I'm sure the XJ has a little leeway too. But what I did, here we have some "used tire" stores on the wrong side of town and for like $50 you can test-drive a tire before ordering $900+ worth of new tires. Just call around and find the tire/size you are considering and have it mounted on one wheel. Make sure it doesn't look like its going to rub on the left front and then carefully drive it round a bit, making more and more extreme turns and inclines. If it doesn't rub, move it to the right front and do the same. Same with the rear, tho you probably only need to test one side.

Crazy thing is that I downsized my XF to coincidentally the same size tire that comes stock on a 2023 Mustang GT. This wheel vanity-sizing fad needs to end because the roads we drive on are only getting worse, not better. Seriously its one of the reasons new car buyers are gravitating to SUVs now. SUVs are also coming with 19 and 20 inch wheels, much larger than really needed, but they have greater suspension travel and taller aspect ratio tires to better handle the bad roads.

QP7 (06-08-2023)
Old 06-08-2023, 11:27 AM
QP7

I believe the Xj S is much quieter than the F type !!! Showing my age here... It does seem for many years manufacturers went mad thinking we want low profile tires? Does anyone on here drive like Senna or Prost or Verstappen? Didn't think so... so why do we want 35 or 45 profile bone crushing rides on delapidated roads. It's insane.. If my X351 cant become quiet I will happily / sadly sell and go back in time to 16" wheeled W140 Merc from the late 1990's (if I can find one that is one owner, immaculate etc.). Love the way the Jag looks but if it ends up being too loud, 16" wheels and 65 profiles on a double glazed Benz here I come. Hopefully not !

Old 06-08-2023, 02:30 PM
Received 250 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Quietness Preferred
.. It does seem for many years manufacturers went mad thinking we want low profile tires? Does anyone on here drive like Senna or Prost or Verstappen? Didn't think so... so why do we want 35 or 45 profile bone crushing rides on delapidated roads.
In fact its marketing and everybody who races know that it´s totally opposite: Higher profile tyre gives more grip. (ofcourse the suspension will need to be build up for the race car with combination of the vehicle and tyre, so just swapping tyres don´t make the trick) F1 cars went from 13" to 18" rim size because FIA want to tame the speed for safety.

QP7 (06-09-2023)
Old 06-08-2023, 10:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,133 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by Vasara
In fact its marketing and everybody who races know that it´s totally opposite: Higher profile tyre gives more grip. (ofcourse the suspension will need to be build up for the race car with combination of the vehicle and tyre, so just swapping tyres don´t make the trick) F1 cars went from 13" to 18" rim size because FIA want to tame the speed for safety.
And you don't need the big brakes either. A 4-pot caliper on a 12 inch rotor has more than enough clamping force to lock the wheels on 4,000-5,000lb car, forcing the the anti-lock system to kick in. Big brakes help dissipate heat when you're braking heavily over and over and over again round a track, but doesn't really benefit the average commuter.

A friend of mine is an automotive journalist. He developed a theory for why there is so much attention to "performance" over comfort. He noted that every time he gets invited to the launch of a new model car, they always have it at a race track. Doesn't matter if the new model is a boring grocery getter SUV, they still have a launch party at a race track. He thinks it's directly targeted at HIM. They make sure he gets the most exciting experience possible in hopes that he will write a glowing review. But of course he's going to write about the smooth ride because the race track is as smooth as it gets. He's also going to write about how well it handles, because they've arranged for him to drive it through a slalom or a few chicanes. He says he'd rather have the press car to drive around town for a week so that he could write about how practical it is to live with, but he's not one their A-list journalists so those opportunities come all too infrequent. He said that manufacturers also know that the average new car test drive is only about 10 minutes and they have to stimulate rather than sedate in order to make the sale. Its only after you've already committed and driven it for a week that you realize that you are miserable. Oh but wait: that means you have to trade it back in at a significant loss and buy a different new car - WIN!

Last edited by pdupler; 06-08-2023 at 10:22 PM.
QP7 (06-09-2023)
Old 06-10-2023, 06:42 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Brake disc size is one big reason for the increase in wheel sizes. But 18" should be enough room to fully accommodate a large sedan. 19 might be needed for a large SUV but that's about it. 20inch on a passenger car is technically not necessary.
But wait: bigger wheels are more expensive, so these have to be better!

QP7 (06-10-2023)
Old 06-17-2023, 10:29 AM
QP7

OK, after several weeks very careful research and reading I have pretty much decided on which tires will make the 2013 XJL the quietest and with the best ride, while sticking with the 19 inch wheels. Tire rack has also been very helpful..., not just their test data but also key people there on their chat function, as some of them have actually test driven all of these tires..

Given everything while the Goodyear Assurance Comfort Drive and the Verdestein Quatrac Pro are very good, as is the Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 Plus, the new Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3 is the quietest and best / softest riding, based on multiple detailed reviews. It means I will manipulate the tire size a bit more than standard, but I'm not overly worrried by that, but just want to know do you all think the following will fit on the rear: -

Rather than going with 275 40 19 on the rear, I will be going with 265 50 19. I am not concerned about speedometer error etc,; the only question I have is will that rire fit on the rear without rubbing? Any experience or knowledge as to if that wll fit on the rear on a 2013 XJL would be very much appreciated. Many thanks !

(I did look at 255 50 19 - which will also fit a 10 inch wheel but will likely not protect the sdewall as much).

For example this was one review by a customer on Tire raclk: -

"I previously had Bridgestone Turanza Quiettrack 245/45R20 on my 2016 Range Rover Evoque SE Premium and changing to these Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3 275/45R20 drastically changed the overall feel. My primary focuses were on ride noise and quality. Hence, at the time of purchase for the Bridgestones, they were ranked #1 for ride quietness and quality. However, they are no more. Over the several months that I have owned the Bridgestones, the ride gradually became harsher and noisier. By 5/32, I decided to move on to these Pirellis. Long-term review is yet to be determined but as of now, they are amazingly quiet and very soft over bumps. These provide confidence over light or heavy rain. Performance on ice/snow is not yet executed. I would sincerely recommend these Pirelli tires to anyone intentionally looking for outstanding ride quality and dimished tire noise. Thanks for taking the time to read my review."...

and later he said

October 20, 2022

"Had it on for another 10+ months and they are fantastic. Really quiet and comfortable ride still holds! My impression of these has not changed - still, definitely recommend them to others!"

Many others all write the same...

Last edited by QP7; 06-17-2023 at 10:34 AM.
Old 06-17-2023, 01:53 PM
Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

265/50-19 tires have a circumference of 92.5" vs. 86.9" of OE. Speedometer error is the least of your worries. Using tires of this size difference will cause the Stability Control to assume a problem.

You've been studying, dissecting and analyzing cabin noise of a non-existent car on this forum for 2½ months. If your new purchase has squeaks, rattles or wind noise, these will be far more disturbing than the difference between tire brands. Take delivery of the car, drive it for a while, evaluate its suitability for your needs, then consider modifying it. And before you ask for opinions, give us well-meaning members as much information as possible. We don't even know, for example, if you will be driving on snow-covered roads. How can anyone recommend a tire without this information?

Old 06-17-2023, 03:38 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,929 Likes on 3,225 Posts

Quietness, if you do decide to go with the 265/50R19's, your best choice of tires for the front are going to be a set of 245/55/R19's. This will have only a 0.7% error between the diameters of the tires. Because these tires are a little bit narrower than the factory tires, the odds of you having any rubbing should be minimized. BUt, you are looking at an overall larger diameter tire. So, really hard to say what you are going to experience. I would not expect too much rubbing if there is any at all. Granted, if you went with 235/55R19's, you would still have a 0.7% error, but in this case, the front tires would be spinning faster than the rears and also have a bit more clearance in the front, minimizing any chance of rubbing. So, no real difference on the transfer case if it is installed (do no remember if you were getting the V6 or the V8). If the car is RWD only, then all the better. Just note, with this difference, the ABS is more likely to kick in and give you some feedback when it kicks in. You drive sensibly, should be a very infrequent thing. You drive a little spiritedly, expect it to kick in every now and then.

QP7 (06-18-2023)
Old 06-18-2023, 05:34 AM
QP7

Originally Posted by Thermo
Quietness, if you do decide to go with the 265/50R19's, your best choice of tires for the front are going to be a set of 245/55/R19's. This will have only a 0.7% error between the diameters of the tires. Because these tires are a little bit narrower than the factory tires, the odds of you having any rubbing should be minimized. BUt, you are looking at an overall larger diameter tire. So, really hard to say what you are going to experience. I would not expect too much rubbing if there is any at all. Granted, if you went with 235/55R19's, you would still have a 0.7% error, but in this case, the front tires would be spinning faster than the rears and also have a bit more clearance in the front, minimizing any chance of rubbing. So, no real difference on the transfer case if it is installed (do no remember if you were getting the V6 or the V8). If the car is RWD only, then all the better. Just note, with this difference, the ABS is more likely to kick in and give you some feedback when it kicks in. You drive sensibly, should be a very infrequent thing. You drive a little spiritedly, expect it to kick in every now and then.
Thank you for your helpful post, that is appreciated. Yes, the car I bought is a V6 and is only RWD. I had not considered the point about 245, which is noted and well taken. To answer you, given my age I tend to drive very sensibly and slowly. So given that extra information, does that change your advice at all vis a vis 235 or 245 on the front? Thanks again for all your replies which have been very helpful.

Old 06-18-2023, 08:44 AM
Veteran member

Quietness, I say go with the 245's and see what you have. Worst case, you have to get a new set of front tires because of excesssive rubbing. But, with easy driving, it shouldn't be that big of a deal as the amount of flex will be minimal. The differences are minimal except in the 1 dimension you are after which is sidewall height. So, stick with the 245's and see what you have. It will be atleast good information for others in the future should they consider something similar.

Old 06-18-2023, 11:19 AM
QP7

Quietness, I say go with the 245's and see what you have. Worst case, you have to get a new set of front tires because of excesssive rubbing. But, with easy driving, it shouldn't be that big of a deal as the amount of flex will be minimal. The differences are minimal except in the 1 dimension you are after which is sidewall height. So, stick with the 245's and see what you have. It will be atleast good information for others in the future should they consider something similar.
OK, many thanks, Thermo. I think that will be my plan then. As if I am understanding you correctly, you believe the 245 55 on the front will likely have less issues than 235 55 on the front. I dont pretend to have anything like your knowledge or understand it all, but am certainly pleased by the research and almost all have kindly given very helpful answers on here. Thank you again, Thermo.

Old 06-18-2023, 03:43 PM
Veteran member

Quietness, the 235's should have less issues than the 245's. The 235's are 10mm less in tread width. So, you are going to have 5mm more distance between the tire and the fender. Because you are running a larger diameter tire, it is going to potentially hit "sooner" because you are going to touch a spot inside the wheel well vice on the metal edge (if you used a 245 vice a 235). With the radical size difference you are looking at, it is hard to say where things are going to touch first, if they touch at all.

QP7 (06-18-2023)
Old 06-24-2023, 07:25 AM
QP7

Quietness, the 235's should have less issues than the 245's. The 235's are 10mm less in tread width. So, you are going to have 5mm more distance between the tire and the fender. Because you are running a larger diameter tire, it is going to potentially hit "sooner" because you are going to touch a spot inside the wheel well vice on the metal edge (if you used a 245 vice a 235). With the radical size difference you are looking at, it is hard to say where things are going to touch first, if they touch at all.
Thank you for that, Thermo. And appreciate your advice as either way it is only going to be a 0.7% difference between front and rear. My understanding from what you have said is that type of very small difference should minimize consequential intererfence with the running of the ABS system or other systems, and the transfer case (?). Is there any advantage in terms of the electronic systems to have the 0.7% larger on the rear rather than the front? For what its worth I have done this on many other cars, - i.e. dropped the width by 10 mm and increased the ratio by similar, (normally sticking with a 3% increase overall or so) and it has always helped give a smoother ride. What I do not know enough about is the impact doing that may have on the various increasing number of electronic systems in more modern cars; so welcome your and any other listers advice. The car is sitll en route to me by container, so I have a few more weeks. One simple question, if you could confirm, is am I right that the wheel widths on a 2013 X351 is 10 inches at the rear and 9 inches at the front? Many thanks...

Last edited by QP7; 06-24-2023 at 12:21 PM.
Old 06-24-2023, 02:37 PM
Veteran member

Quietness, as long as you keep the errors between the front and rear tires, all the systems will be fine. The only problem s I have seen is going with a dramatically different tire diameter. But, that is not really possible on this car. So, get the tires you are after and be happy driving.

As for the rim widths, 9's up front and 10's in the back sounds right.

QP7 (06-24-2023)

Quick Reply: Seeking advice on the quietest 351