XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Service Required

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2021, 08:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service Required

I have strange problem in that the Service Required warning is still appearing after the car went in to an independent garage for a service.

I’ve seen them reset the service counter on two different diagnostic tools as well as manually but the warning continues to appear. The warning appears briefly on start up and then disappears.

I have a iCarSoft LR V2.0 diagnostic tool and have test the oil service but still the message persists. Is there something else that needs to be reset and can it be done on my own diagnostic tool?

Any help is much appreciated if it saves me the time and money of a trip to the main dealer.

Old 09-29-2021, 09:19 AM
GGG
Received 16,868 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forums EastEndBoy,

This is the SERVICE REQUIRED warning reset procedure for my XK and I expect your XJ will be similar.

NOTE: it does NOT require any diagnostic tool connected to do this. The instructions are in JLR SDD for information only.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 09-29-2021, 10:47 AM

Thank you for your reply. The manual process is different for the XJ. I believe that it is the same process as for the XE and involves pressing the brake and accelerator pedals at the same time amongst other things. I have seen this process done in my car and watched the messages go through on the dash.

The only thing that I can think of is, under the “Next Service” section on the dash it shows the “Oil Service” as 0 miles. I’m thinking that should be somewhat higher if the car has just been serviced?

Old 09-29-2021, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,488 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Graham just a quick note but the XJ (X351) is different and there is no way to reset the service indicator without a separate tool attached to the car. Brutal one of our factory tech's has confirmed this. Why the XJ does NOT have the feature I don't know.

I use a cheap Autel HT200 device to reset mine if I don't want to drag out and go through all the stuff in SDD.

If you do some searches you can find a couple of other code readers (Foxwell) that can also reset the service indicator. The dealers all use SDD. That's IF they remember to reset it!

Last edited by clubairth1; 09-29-2021 at 10:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
GGG (09-29-2021)
Old 10-02-2021, 08:24 PM
Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

When posting a service or repair-related question, it is useful to list not only the year and model, but also your location. There are differences not only among models, but among countries. Putting this info in your signature eliminates the need to include it in every post. I've seen long, rambling posts where helpers assume the poster is talking about a gasoline car, and they are asking about a diesel (which we don't have here in the XJ platform).
The oil change interval is not the only time/distance item that can trigger a service reminder. In certain models/countries, a service request will illuminate for brake fluid replacement. The fact that your indicator only appears briefly suggests a "service xxx soon", not "service xxx now.".

Old 10-02-2021, 09:51 PM

thank you for your reply.

I wasn’t aware that the brake fluid replacement might trigger the warning. I’ll take a look.

FYI I stupidly made the mistake of starting the thread before fully setting up my profile and therefore the full details of the vehicle and my location were not included in my profile in the original post.

My location is GB and the car is a 2017 3.0 V6 Diesel

Old 10-03-2021, 07:46 AM
Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Looking at your screenshot above, I'm guessing that whatever the yellow triangle is squawking about is the source of your service light.
In any case, I'm sure you'll get it sorted. BTW, Welcome
I loved that Top Gear episode where Clarkson first tried to run dry the diesel XJ, and ultimately made his destination. He praised the car in several episodes, and I'm sure you'll like yours, too.
My only diesel auto experience was with a manual Giulietta in Italy. What a delightful car. We in the States got a butchered version of the platform (Dodge Dart), which mercifully died a quick death. Hard to believe it was the same car underneath. Probably contributed to the demise of the brand, too. Amazing, the boneheaded decisions made at the upper echelons of car companies.

Old 10-03-2021, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,488 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Thanks Baltobernie! I never knew that low brake fluid could also trigger a service light. I will need to be more careful with my suggestions on how to reset it.
I hope someone will post a picture showing the different "Service Required" messages on the XJ dash board.