XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Shopping for an XJ L

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2021, 08:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shopping for an XJ L

Hello everyone. I'm the market for a used XJ L model. I was wondering if some of you with experience with this vehicle could give me some advice on things to look for while shopping - besides the obvious things you watch for. Are these fairly reliable cars? When they break what seems to break the most on them? Are they ridiculously expensive to fix? Do I need to research that there are mechanics in my area or can most shops work on these? Lastly where can you get aftermarket performance upgrades for them? I've done some searching and haven't found much of anything as far as bolt on upgrades (exhaust/ air intake etc) Thank you in advance!

Old 03-21-2021, 06:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

The main complaint with these cars in the early years, (2009 to about 2012/13) was cracking noises from the roof. Nowadays a lot rarer and there are quite a few things one can do to alleviate it or even cure it. The V8 engine has water pump issues, but the US contributors will know more, so listen out.
I would advise at least researching shops that work on European cars. If you can find one that welcomes Jaguars so much the better. I would think most shops will have had little experience of working on Jaguars because there just aren't enough around, and the last of the XJs is very rare compared to the XF saloons. If there is a main agent near you, they can work on your car, but labour rates will be high, and you'll have to pay Jaguar parts prices too. I wouldn't bother about performance upgrades, they can only make the car more unreliable and best avoided. If you want a performance car, the XJ isn't the car for you, get an F-type.

Old 03-21-2021, 02:13 PM
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I echo most of these sentiments, with a few caveats.

The V8 even SC is fairly reliable except the cooling system, watch out for water pump and coolant leaks. Can get expensive to repair. Other than that, pretty solid cars. Buy the latest model year you can afford.

Performance upgrades are worth it only in the power department, and again only really if you have a supercharged car. These cars are excellent riders and aftermarket anything other than power upgrades and transmission upgrades will ruin the car IMO.

A supercharged 3.0L can do 450hp with some mods, and a SC V8 and put down 650hp. If you need AWD, the 3.0 V6 is the only choice.

I consciously went for an R, as it is basically the best you can get. Stock power is generous, and power mods make it a real weapon on long stretches. This is not a corner carving car, but can hustle on a back road if asked no problem.

In short, my recommendation would be a 2014+ V8 SC, preferably an R for the better looks and goodies, and mod only the engine.

Also, make sure you have a shop local, preferably a dealer. Having both an indy and a dealer to go to for work is the best scenario.

Old 03-21-2021, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,352 Likes on 3,481 Posts

Originally Posted by Elder Roy Bowman Jr.
Hello everyone. I'm the market for a used XJ L model. I was wondering if some of you with experience with this vehicle could give me some advice on things to look for while shopping ...
Have you driven an XJL? If not, you should in order to decide which engine and other features are most important for you.

It would be better if you find an XJL that appeals to you and then ask us specific questions about that car. There are just too many unknowns to give you any meaningful advice now.

Since you're looking for a used XJL, my first piece of advice is to go to a Jaguar dealer and look at the newest models that have a Jaguar Select Certified Pre-Owned warranty. Ask the salesperson to explain the differences in engines and features by model year. Do you need Adaptive Cruise Control? Soft-close doors? Massaging seats? Are you Old School Wood Veneer or New School Carbon Fiber?

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...istles-178542/

Old 06-13-2021, 12:21 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default To by or not that is the question

Well, we have test driven the XE, XF,XJ & XJL in the last 2 months of looking for something that compares at lest to our 2012 Infinity M37. Well....yesterday we drove it! A 2027 XJL PORT model down in Houston! OMG! That is the car! My wife was not real pro on driving another Jag because the other 3 didn't ride as solid or have the interior appointments as our M37 has. Well, this XJL Port had every bell and ding dong you could think of and she loved the dark blue color against the dark brown interior! It drove like the car I want for sure! It is just too bad that in today's after market this car was selling for $42k but they only wanted finance clients so that is how they made there $$. Going to just keep on looking.....

Old 06-13-2021, 05:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,352 Likes on 3,481 Posts

What's wrong with financing it, if the contract includes a "no prepayment penalty" clause? Pay one monthly installment and then pay it off in full.

Old 06-13-2021, 05:56 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
What's wrong with financing it, if the contract includes a "no prepayment penalty" clause? Pay one monthly installment and then pay it off in full.
Not a thing wrong with doing that if you can fide a dealer who will write one! So far they want a min of 3 yr solid contract with no outs! They make there $$$$ on the finance end nowadays. The dealer told us yesterday that he just sold a Land Rover and tacked on $4k in finance charges to make it work and the buyer was happy to pay it! Go figure.....This market is SO upside down it is amazing....

The following users liked this post:
Stuart S (06-14-2021)
Old 06-14-2021, 12:39 PM
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 2016 Jaguar XJL Portfolio 56K MILES - $28,450 (Scottsdale, AZ)

Here is a great buy!

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/p...333705130.html

The following users liked this post:
Ken Dreger (06-14-2021)
Old 06-14-2021, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,426 Likes on 1,906 Posts

If you can't DIY the repairs you probably will spend more then you want to. The Jaguar dealers are very expensive. Also tell us more what your looking for?
I have a 2014 XJR with just about everything except the expensive rear seat packages. I wanted a powerful V-8 and the brakes and suspension to go with it.
It's tuned and very fast now. But the 6 cylinder cars are much cheaper and much easier to find.

My car has been the best car I have ever owner with almost no repairs at all and I am at 48K miles. Water pump under warranty and 1 O2 sensor has been it.
I was worried and purchased it with a 7 year/100K CPO warranty but only used it once on the water pump.
Heck just an oil change is $225 at my dealer!