XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Should I buy an XJ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2023, 07:21 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Should I buy an XJ?

Hello everyone!

Recently I've been thinking about changing to an XJ. I'm currently in a W222 S350d and I really love it but still feel like a change.

I'm looking at a 2013 XJL, 3.0D Portfolio. The spec seems great and it is immaculate. The one downside is that the S-Class just has a few extras tricks that I've become accustomed to, such as the ACC and LED lights.

Has anyone had any experience with both cars? How do they compare in terms of comfort and quietness?
And what are the downfalls of XJ ownership?

Thanks

Old 03-16-2023, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,366 Likes on 1,864 Posts

The problem is this is mainly a US forum and Jaguar never sold any Diesels in the US.

So we have zero experience/knowledge of those cars. Maybe one of our International members will weigh in?
But there is a UK Jaguar forum and it's FULL of Diesel info!
Take a look as I think you will find what you are looking for.

UK Jaguar Forum

The following 2 users liked this post by clubairth1:
2015 XJR L (03-17-2023), Dlaregztif (03-19-2023)
Old 03-16-2023, 08:47 AM
Received 182 Likes on 118 Posts

Yes.

The following users liked this post:
Dlaregztif (03-19-2023)
Old 03-16-2023, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 408 Likes on 280 Posts

No, better with the petrol version, in saying that the diesels prior to 65 reg in uk ( I had 2) one would throw up a amber DPF warning every 6 weeks or so as it's mostly short journeys I was doing , so had to take it for a spirited drive to clear the DPF that car was a 60 plate , I then got a 64 plate again diesel never had a warning amber or red in the 2-3 years I had it , but reading on the Brit forum were the diesel version is king it really is pot luck no matter what year , turbos, throttle bodies, then the dreaded split manifolds, it is a time bomb. petrol is way better and give less problems . Chris I am surprised at you !! With all the troubles you had with yours . Still looking for the petrol unicorn

Last edited by George05; 03-16-2023 at 01:51 PM.
Old 03-16-2023, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by George05
No, better with the petrol version, in saying that the diesels prior to 65 reg in uk ( I had 2) one would throw up a amber DPF warning every 6 weeks or so as it's mostly short journeys I was doing , so had to take it for a spirited drive to clear the DPF that car was a 60 plate , I then got a 64 plate again diesel never had a warning amber or red in the 2-3 years I had it , but reading on the Brit forum were the diesel version is king it really is pot luck no matter what year , turbos, throttle bodies, then the dreaded split manifolds, it is a time bomb. petrol is way better and give less problems . Chris I am surprised at you !! With all the troubles you had with yours . Still looking for the petrol unicorn
I too would unhesitatingly recommend the petrol (although I have first call, obviously: still no sign of a Petrol 2019 Autobiography), but the question was XJ vs S350d, and the answer from me on that front is an unqualified "YES"!

(I had no DPF issues in 2 years of short journeys in my 2011 3.0D Portfolio X351: my troubles started when I traded up to my current 2017!)

Dlaregztif (03-19-2023)
Old 03-17-2023, 08:02 AM
Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

This is a pretty fair comparison of the early X351 vs. the Germans. I think you could extrapolate the findings to your Merc. Agree with others about getting more diesel reviews before you decide.

Old 03-18-2023, 05:56 PM
Received 145 Likes on 99 Posts

Just my penny in the pot,

I drove my brothers S550 and it left me cold. There was nothing about that car that engaged the driver. Nothing.

Having, sadly, owned a BMW, my wife's, I will never go back to that brand. Ever.

Audi, isn't it just a VW in smart clothes?

I'm looking at a Genesis GV-70 to replace my wife's F-Pace. I also need to sell my '12 XJ (It will never happen, I'll get buried in that car!)

wombat

Dlaregztif (03-19-2023)
Old 03-19-2023, 01:54 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I previously owned a 2012 X251 XF 3.0D which I assume has the same AJ-V6D engine and gearbox? I had zero issues with in during the 30,000 miles I had it other than the occasional gremlin throwing up minor amber lights Unfortunately the oil burner uses a cambelt rather than a chain, but I can live with that.

As much as I would prefer the petrol it doesn't make sense owning one in Ireland with our road tax system. I mostly do motorway driving so never had a DPF issue as christ mentioned above. Plus with the price of fuel these days...

I very much agree with wombat, the Merc is not a drivers car. A BMW 7 did cross my mind but the misses said no

Thanks for the video Baltobernie, although the CLS can't hold candle to the S, only a glorified E-Class!

The main reason for the post was seeing what the comfort was like and just ownership in general, not specific to either fuel. Based on the reviews I have watched and your enthusiasm, I am inclined to say yes. I will make arrangements to view it this week and hopefully share some pictures soon.

Old 03-20-2023, 01:51 PM

My recommendation is to not test drive one until you have cleared the funds, as if you drive one, you will likely buy it.

The following 2 users liked this post by christ:
Dlaregztif (03-20-2023), wombat (03-20-2023)
Old 03-20-2023, 02:16 PM

Great advice! My beloved S is now listed for sale

Old 03-21-2023, 01:33 PM
Received 228 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Dlaregztif
Thanks for all the replies. I previously owned a 2012 X251 XF 3.0D which I assume has the same AJ-V6D engine and gearbox? I had zero issues with in during the 30,000 miles I had it other than the occasional gremlin throwing up minor amber lights Unfortunately the oil burner uses a cambelt rather than a chain, but I can live with that.
...... The main reason for the post was seeing what the comfort was like and just ownership in general, not specific to either fuel......
Hello,
Yes, the engine and gearbox are same as XF range. (AJ-V6D and ZF)
My are now very near of 300tkm / 187k miles, without problemes on powertrain. One solenoid failed some time ago, othervise just services. I would choose belt for cams over current style thin friction saving chains anytime. Chains are not what they used to be in past. Chancing the belt for AJ-V6D are also easy DIY and there are plenty of room to do it in XJ with some distmantle. (exept high pressure fuel pump belt what are located behind of the engine)

For other than powertrain:
- Interior are something you will fall on. (don´t sit inside before you have sorted money to by it)
- Infoteinment (midle screen) can be bit slow in early models, but map updates seems to improve a bit. Also turn "Screen animations" off. (you only lose one "spark" on the button corner)
- Drive quality are harder / tighter than any other luxury sedan, including Panamera. Super on trackdays on it size - mind your tires and brakes when on track. Easy to carry away by "Ohh, this is so fun that i take one more lap...". If you are looking confy cruiser like S, then better stay on S.
- Glass roof can be noisy. There are few different reasons. Mine have been happy since i add grease on the area where roofs rubber "feets" lands when closed. This same area are prone to rust. The grease keep water / oxygen away, so double hit.
- Interior are very quied. No sounds from dash or seats (even they are leather)
- By sharp driwing charchters x351 are very sensitive for wheel aligment. (don´t pay if the garage try to tell that they used XF values because their machine did not had x351 values - its not correct)
- Low front suspension arm "Banana Arm" inner bushes get soft ~60k. If you feel vibration on steering, specially when braking, it is propably these. Lemförder arms are OEM and they are not expensive and easy to change.
- The projection style Xeon headlamps are not the brightests ones (they never are). Change of good quality Osrams help a bit, but they last 3-5 years and then fading again. (change of bulps needs bumber removal but it is not so bad as it sound for. (doable without removing tyres, just lift front bit up for the space) >2016MY have LED headlights.
- Alumium body with self levelling rear air-suspension: Don´t lift one side on front too high (well over point of tyre off from ground), because rear will try to correct and you can end "one rear and one jack stand situtation what can harm the chassis or rear shock.
- Lock the vehicle when leave it for park. Only when locked the systems will go to sleep. Othervise you will have battery problems. (also store the key >3m away from the car)
- You can download user handbook and service&repair manual from the Sticky section of this forum. Read the handbook, there are valuable info.

As written before: You are warned !! Don´t sit in or take testdrive unless you are ready to pay it.
I am soon in the hard point to choose do i run my XJ in its last breath or change it ...but for what? It is very hard to find as nice interior, super handling and timeless outside desing from other margues.

Dlaregztif (04-04-2023)
Old 04-04-2023, 03:10 AM

Quick update; I test drove a 2016 XJ Diesel at the weekend....and bought it
Thanks for all the advice and comments, much appreciated!

The second I sat into the car I said yes. As for the initial question, how does it compare to an S350 - The XJ is more engaging to drive, a little quieter and a bit harsher on the bumps. But it is a hell of a lot more fun to drive and way more class

The following 3 users liked this post by Dlaregztif:
GGG (04-04-2023), ralphwg (04-06-2023), wombat (04-04-2023)
Old 04-04-2023, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by Dlaregztif
Quick update; I test drove a 2016 XJ Diesel at the weekend....and bought it
The second I sat into the car I said yes.
Told you!

Originally Posted by christ
My recommendation is to not test drive one until you have cleared the funds, as if you drive one, you will likely buy it.
Congratulations, and enjoy.

wombat (04-04-2023)