XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

The "Snowflake"

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 01:45 PM
Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts
Default The "Snowflake"

I'm still discovering niceties about my 2013 XJ, even after 6 mos, or so. One of which is the amber "snowflake", described in the manual as "illuminates when the external temperature is low enough that ice may be present on the road".

Mine illuminates when the temperature hits 40 degrees Fahrenheit; I think that's about 5 degrees Celsius. My question to those in U.K. is, does it actually snow, or sleet, or freeze at 5 degrees Celsius or do you need to wait until it gets to "zero" (32 degrees F), like the rest of us?

On the other hand, if as the manual states, it illuminates when "ice may be present on the road" then there must be a remarkable sensor scanning the road ahead and the "snowflake" lights up to warn you -- even if it may be 50 or 60 degrees outside, when high in the mountains, and some of that ice may still be lingering in the shadowy corners of the road.

I'll have to test it out in February when I head up to the nearby mountains.

Safe motoring

Old 01-27-2015, 03:36 PM
Received 171 Likes on 141 Posts

Yes different freezing temperatures over here !
Actually mine lights up when the temperature is showing 4 degrees.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:48 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by KingFala
My question to those in U.K. is, does it actually snow, or sleet, or freeze at 5 degrees Celsius or do you need to wait until it gets to "zero" (32 degrees F), like the rest of us?

I must be reading your question incorrectly.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,286 Likes on 3,450 Posts

It often snows when the temperature is above freezing at ground level. Snow forms at higher levels where the temperature is below freezing.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:50 AM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Think over passes/bridges that can have ice on them when above freezing everywhere around them. As some drivers found out here in houston winters past when there was a accident on almost every overpass. I also just state that it comes on to let you know its cold outside just incase you park in the garage and never step foot outside to know

Old 01-28-2015, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

A little odd that the X351s have the snowflake and the X350s don't. My S-Type and the X300 I had both had the snowflakes. I don't remember if the XJ40 had it or not.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:00 AM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
Think over passes/bridges that can have ice on them when above freezing everywhere around them. As some drivers found out here in houston winters past when there was a accident on almost every overpass. I also just state that it comes on to let you know its cold outside just incase you park in the garage and never step foot outside to know
Also important on those mornings where the overnight low was below freezing, and ice accumulated on the road may not melt very fast below 40degF.

Old 01-30-2015, 01:30 PM
Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Snowflake

I surrender! I'll accept if for what it is -- a reminder. Just to ruffle a few more feathers, I'd rather they took that spot on the dashboard and gave us a nice-sized readable compass. Then I wouldn't need to worry about ice, accept in my glass.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

My S type R has a compass in the rear view mirror.
I thought the XJ would too?

Old 02-02-2015, 12:17 PM
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm still discovering niceties about my 2013 XJ, even after 6 mos, or so. One of which is the amber "snowflake", described in the manual as "illuminates when the external temperature is low enough that ice may be present on the road".

Mine illuminates when the temperature hits 40 degrees Fahrenheit; I think that's about 5 degrees Celsius. My question to those in U.K. is, does it actually snow, or sleet, or freeze at 5 degrees Celsius or do you need to wait until it gets to "zero" (32 degrees F), like the rest of us?

On the other hand, if as the manual states, it illuminates when "ice may be present on the road" then there must be a remarkable sensor scanning the road ahead and the "snowflake" lights up to warn you -- even if it may be 50 or 60 degrees outside, when high in the mountains, and some of that ice may still be lingering in the shadowy corners of the road.

I'll have to test it out in February when I head up to the nearby mountains.

Safe motoring
It can snow at above 0 degrees but from my experience in the UK, it snows when it gets under 0 degrees.

I surrender! I'll accept if for what it is -- a reminder. Just to ruffle a few more feathers, I'd rather they took that spot on the dashboard and gave us a nice-sized readable compass. Then I wouldn't need to worry about ice, accept in my glass.
Yeh its just a reminder, that you might need extra time the next morning to defrost or in my case charge the battery

Old 02-03-2015, 07:47 PM
Location: Mooresville, NC (Race City USA), home of most NASCAR teams.
Received 481 Likes on 368 Posts

I don't disagree you with you one iota.

Old 06-17-2015, 06:03 PM
Received 195 Likes on 144 Posts

... My question to those in U.K. is, does it actually snow, or sleet, or freeze at 5 degrees Celsius or do you need to wait until it gets to "zero" (32 degrees F), like the rest of us?

On the other hand, if as the manual states, it illuminates when "ice may be present on the road" then there must be a remarkable sensor scanning the road ahead and the "snowflake" lights up to warn you -- even if it may be 50 or 60 degrees outside, when high in the mountains, and some of that ice may...
Wonderful question; very deep.
It may help to investigate and understand the meaning of the word "may" as used in the description of this helpful (but not omnipototent, as is Lou appears to be) feature, and how to discern the difference between "may" and "will".

Did we ever get a definitive answer to the OP's question on how physics are different in the U.K.; one that could satisfy his curiosity?

After all, snow and ice immediately turn to vapor as the temperature rises above 0C at any altitude/pressure, doesn't it? (Rhetorical)

Last edited by 12jagmark; 06-17-2015 at 06:08 PM.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:35 PM
Location: Mooresville, NC (Race City USA), home of most NASCAR teams.
Received 481 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by 12jagmark
After all, snow and ice immediately turn to vapor as the temperature rises above 0C at any altitude/pressure, doesn't it? (Rhetorical)
Perhaps in Florida, but in most parts of the world it goes from a frozen state into a liquid state, thus the Spring thaw causes creeks, rivers and lakes to rise, sometime flooding surrounding areas.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:45 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

Water can go from a solid directly to a gas, but only at a near perfect vacuum. gotta love having useless knowledge in your head. Granted, I make my money knowing the properties of water under very unusual circumstances. Nuclear reactors can really push the limits of things.

In the words of Bill Clinton, "can you please define 'IS'". LMAO.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:11 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad you asked the question since I don't yet have a manual yet and also live in FL. Sometimes the temps here will get well below 40F and if that light popped up I would be thinking there was a malfunction of some sort. Of course, with any luck, I'll never see it come on (lizards start falling from trees when it gets that cold here), but if it ever does happen at least I'll know what it is.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

sheerplat you can get the manual and more in digital format here: Handbooks & Guides| Jaguar Owners