XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Software update to new 2013 version for my 2011 XJ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 11:56 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Software update to new 2013 version for my 2011 XJ?

This past December, when I purchased my 2011 XJ, the salesman told me I would soon be able to upgrade my software package to the one in the new 2013 models. This would be with the bigger buttons and what-not.

Has anyone else heard this or had it done? I wonder if the salesman was just guessing or using it as an additional sales pitch. Regardless, I love the car and don't really have any issues with the current system, but at the same time would like the upgraded one if available to me. Larger buttons would be ideal.

Thanks!

Old 04-18-2013, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

I would be interested in this as well.

I actually asked my service adviser to check to see if there are any software updates available for the car. He checked the VIN and said the car had all available software updates. But it does not have the same interface graphics as the 2012 or 13.

Perhaps Brutal or one of the other Jag techs could help us out with this...

Old 04-18-2013, 02:38 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Software upgrade

The software upgrade for the touchscreen with the larger buttons and different glass screen(more like an iPhone)!is/was only offered to the early build 2012's which came with the old version. I purchased my 2012 xjl on dec 26 2011 it came with the old version and I was offered and got the new upgrade I month later. It's faster and easier to operate with the bigger buttons.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Venture
The software upgrade for the touchscreen with the larger buttons and different glass screen(more like an iPhone)!is/was only offered to the early build 2012's which came with the old version. I purchased my 2012 xjl on dec 26 2011 it came with the old version and I was offered and got the new upgrade I month later. It's faster and easier to operate with the bigger buttons.
Thanks! I emailed the salesman today. Since he offered it while selling me the vehicle, I am going to see if I can get it done for free for that exact reason. Depending on the dealership, I think they should up-hold that since it was a verbal promise/selling point. We'll see.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:32 PM
Default Software upgrade

Just to be sure we are talking about the same thing? It's not really a software upgrade. The whole unit is replaced and as I said before the glass is different on the screen with the new unit. This was a Jaguar directed bulletin ONLY for 2012 models and not available to 2011 owners.

Good luck. I'd like to hear what they say because there is no software upgrade that will change the appearance and operation of the touchscreen.

Old 04-19-2013, 05:06 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 11XJsrb
Thanks! I emailed the salesman today. Since he offered it while selling me the vehicle, I am going to see if I can get it done for free for that exact reason. Depending on the dealership, I think they should up-hold that since it was a verbal promise/selling point. We'll see.
Be sure to snap a pic or two of what you have now and what it looks like after the upgrade.

TIA

Old 04-19-2013, 10:28 AM

Just to be sure we are talking about the same thing? It's not really a software upgrade. The whole unit is replaced and as I said before the glass is different on the screen with the new unit. This was a Jaguar directed bulletin ONLY for 2012 models and not available to 2011 owners.

Good luck. I'd like to hear what they say because there is no software upgrade that will change the appearance and operation of the touchscreen.
Right. I'm thinking maybe the salesman didn't know how much was necessary so he made the empty promise. I'll keep you guys updated when they reply.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:18 PM
Default Software upgrade

This is what the old version looks like

Attached Thumbnails Software update to new 2013 version for my 2011 XJ?-image.jpg  
Old 04-19-2013, 02:31 PM
Default Software

This is what the new unit looks like. All 2012 were to come with this. The early builds didn't and jaguar offered the swap. Probably not all dealers alerted their 2012 owners

Attached Thumbnails Software update to new 2013 version for my 2011 XJ?-image.jpg  
Old 04-19-2013, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

i have the newer system, and let me tell you its slow as ****. id hate to see what the OLDER version was like.

there have been a few times i had to sit and wait a good 2 minutes for the system to acknowledge the fact im in reverse so that it would load the camera.

other issues, the buttons take forever to respond or make any moves.

Someone needs to have a talk with whoever approved this system to be implemented

Old 04-19-2013, 03:37 PM
Default Software

Yes I have the new system. Got it 1 month after purchasing car. The old version took longer because the icons were smaller within the menus and you had to hunt to hit them just right. The new version even with the bigger icons does get bogged down after time. I have noticed also backup camera can take longer to load. Sometimes audio won't turn off if I have also tried to turn off climate. Really have to wait for 1 command to be carried out before trying another. Having said that. These 2 things have seemed to help. Turn off the volume wheel and turn off screen animations.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:41 PM
Default Software

No chance Jaguar is giving up on this system because its used across the entire2013 jaguar and Land rover line up. Look at the new Range Rover and new not yet released RAnge Rover Sport and the Touchscreen and just about everything else is pure Jaguar Xj parts

Old 04-22-2013, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member

Our backup camera comes on pretty quick when you select "R" with the rotary shift.

We have the 2011 version, and it is not instantaneous, but the functions are connected to actions associated with other systems, such as radio, navigation, climate control, etc. If you were to get instantaneous response and feedback that would mean the systems that are connected would be responding instantaneously...

They could improve the touch screen response for sure...but I am not sure how fast the associated systems and actions could be increased without significant cost in build and design.

EDIT: I think Jaguar should hire me and then we can get this stuff straightened out...

Last edited by rscultho; 04-22-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:23 PM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

This is what the new unit looks like. All 2012 were to come with this. The early builds didn't and jaguar offered the swap. Probably not all dealers alerted their 2012 owners
I guess I'm one of those 2012 owners who didn't get notified, lol. In fact, until I saw the before & after pictures you uploaded, I didn't even know about this issue. Although I purchased my 2012 in March of last year, it was maufactured in 2011.

Are there any service bulletins or other documentation that discusses this upgrade/swap?

Old 04-24-2013, 10:29 AM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Am I the only one who liked the look of the old one more? It was painfully slow, but for long song titles, you could hit the "i" button,and it would show the whole thing. This interface was designed for smaller touch screens, and now everything just looks huge... I wish they would have just sped up the old interface instead of swapping it out.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:00 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Am I the only one who liked the look of the old one more?
I too prefer the style of the original interface, but would ditch it in a heartbeat for the faster though clunkier looking new system. I've tried turning off the animation to improve response, but honestly, don't see much difference.

Old 05-04-2013, 06:15 AM
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Interested to read this thread, it's answered my worry as to why the touchscreen has so obviously been removed at some point from my Jan 2012 registered Portfolio (tell tale minor screwdriver marks in adjacent leather - not clever) which I purchased recently. I reckon the car was a late 2011 build to 2012MY spec. Touch screen can be slow at times but I'm finding it's response is very variable, dependent I guess on what other functions are being serviced by the processor at the time? I can live with it.

Can anyone elaborate further on the hardware differences between old and new. Mine has a row of quick access buttons below the DVD slot - is that the only physical difference?

Old 05-20-2013, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by PrivateFlyer
Interested to read this thread, it's answered my worry as to why the touchscreen has so obviously been removed at some point from my Jan 2012 registered Portfolio (tell tale minor screwdriver marks in adjacent leather - not clever) which I purchased recently.
Wow mine has the same marks/impressions in the leather. They must have thought that it would just fade back to normal.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:37 PM
Angry ...still no reply.

So after several emails and messages left for the salesman I still haven't heard back from him. I'm contemplating just going into the dealership a few times until I get a day where they are there. The least they could do is give me an answer (yes/no).

Old 05-20-2013, 02:21 PM
Default Software upgrade

I think some of these questions you are having about your touchscreen. Whether you should have gotten the upgrade or if you got the upgrade before you bought the car and they damaged the leather could be answered by Jaguar NA. They should have records for your particular car. Be forewarned Jaguar NA only covers trim for 12,000 or 1 year.

Quick Reply: Software update to new 2013 version for my 2011 XJ?