XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Software update to new 2013 version for my 2011 XJ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 10:38 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default he gone.

Looks like the salesman no longer works there. I would think his phone/email would be fwd. So I spoke with the sales manager. He was very helpful. He is speaking with a technician to see what they can do. Will update when I hear back.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:55 AM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Ok I think we can all agree that the infotainment system in the Jaguar sucks. I constantly have bluetooth dropouts and when I try to connect it by cable it continually jumps back to bluetooth audio. The system is slow and for a 8 inch screen it really doesn't do much. I mean it doesn't even show album art. The beautiful thing is which I doubt is going to happen but should be their priority is revamping the whole software package to make it faster, more intuitive and more user oriented. That goes with the TFT screen as well. What a waste of a screen. I have a digitial screen why not give me individual tire pressures? Why not tell me whats wrong instead of giving me a dumb engine light. Its a computer screen for christ sake! Any information about the car should be at my fingers touch. I should even know how much pollutant is coming in the car prior to the recirt cutting on. There is a sensor for it. It just dumbfounds me how decades behind this car is in technology. I put cilajet.com on my XJ a few weeks ago and I was given a 2013 BMW 328 loaner. It was like coming from a motorola razor to the first iPhone. Even the 2013 XJ is behind this car technology wise. Jaguar needs to step up there game if they want to play with the big boys.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Well, if the technology in a vehicle is such a big concern, why not trade the XJ in?

I have to disagree with Jaguar being decades behind in technology. I haven't seen any BMWs with shifter knob that rise out of the console yet.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Executive
Well, if the technology in a vehicle is such a big concern, why not trade the XJ in?

I have to disagree with Jaguar being decades behind in technology. I haven't seen any BMWs with shifter knob that rise out of the console yet.
Of course its a big deal. Its just up to you what technology is important to you. If the Jags had roll up windows and no A/C I doubt you would be running to go it one.

And as far as the shifter knob. Really? You consider that technology? The 2014 F-Type doesnt even have that. So whats more technologically advanced. A car that the shifter know rises from the console or a car that has camera's in both front quarter panels that allow you to see whats on the left and right of you in tight spaces?

And I haven't traded it in because I love my car. The fact that I wish my car was better doesn't negate the fact that I love it. Would I buy the 2013 version? No.

By the way I am pretty sure I am one of maybe two people who has had their engine cease-up. And when I say cease-up I mean the engine went made a noise, the lights came on, the car came to a rolling stop and then proceeded to flush all of its oil and anti-freeze onto the road.

Old 05-28-2013, 02:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ExpatJag
Of course its a big deal. Its just up to you what technology is important to you. If the Jags had roll up windows and no A/C I doubt you would be running to go it one.
Technology is important, but the fact that it takes half of a second longer to activate a function, isn't enough for me to complain about it.
Car is meant to be driven, i have an iphone for the rest.

And as far as the shifter knob. Really? You consider that technology? The 2014 F-Type doesnt even have that. So whats more technologically advanced. A car that the shifter know rises from the console or a car that has camera's in both front quarter panels that allow you to see whats on the left and right of you in tight spaces?
Absolutely! Jaguar was innovative enough to utilize technology, to save more space in the center console. And, the rotary knob does it better than anything in it's category.

I am still disappointed that the F type didn't come equipped with the JaguarDrive Selector. I don't know what was the point of the BMW shifter in it, as there is no third pedal to go along with it. To me, that was a step backwards.

What's more technologically advanced? XJ that weights 4200lb or a comparable AMG Mercedes that weights over 5000lb?

By the way I am pretty sure I am one of maybe two people who has had their engine cease-up. And when I say cease-up I mean the engine went made a noise, the lights came on, the car came to a rolling stop and then proceeded to flush all of its oil and anti-freeze onto the road.
Sorry to hear about the misfortune and i am hopeful, Jaguar will offer you a viable resolution.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:17 AM

Technology is important, but the fact that it takes half of a second longer to activate a function, isn't enough for me to complain about it.
Car is meant to be driven, i have an iphone for the rest.
That's just silly. I'm not even sure how to respond to that. Your two hundred dollar phone is more advanced than your hundred thousand dollar car. Got it.

Absolutely! Jaguar was innovative enough to utilize technology, to save more space in the center console. And, the rotary knob does it better than anything in it's category.
The rotary knob saves no space at all. It takes up the exact same amount of space as the F type shifter. If it was about saving space they could have just put it on the steering wheel stock.

I am still disappointed that the F type didn't come equipped with the JaguarDrive Selector. I don't know what was the point of the BMW shifter in it, as there is no third pedal to go along with it. To me, that was a step backwards.
It will be gone in the next three years.

What's more technologically advanced? XJ that weights 4200lb or a comparable AMG Mercedes that weights over 5000lb?
So weight is your deciding factor? Ok we can end this string.

Sorry to hear about the misfortune and i am hopeful, Jaguar will offer you a viable resolution.
It all good. I got my new engine but it did help the Jaguar reputation any when people asked me where my new car was.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member

That's just silly. I'm not even sure how to respond to that. Your two hundred dollar phone is more advanced than your hundred thousand dollar car. Got it.
They are built for two completely different purposes.
I would expect the phone to be more advanced, as companies spend billions in developing one software program, where a vehicle's main purpose is it's drive ability and myriad of other things.

We are having a discussion about technology after all. Less weight, better fuel economy, better performance in all areas.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:18 AM

They are built for two completely different purposes.
I would expect the phone to be more advanced, as companies spend billions in developing one software program, where a vehicle's main purpose is it's drive ability and myriad of other things.

We are having a discussion about technology after all. Less weight, better fuel economy, better performance in all areas.
A phone will never be more advance than a car and no one is spending billions of dollars developing a phone.

Less weight has no bearing on technology unless its a new process or new metal and that last time I checked aluminum is not new.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

There are those that feel Jaguar is behind in technology application...but if my choice is between a BMW with the atrocious lines of their interior and a computer that can take my blood pressure or a luxurious sexy Jaguar with somewhat slow responsive computer screen I'll take the Jag. But that choice is a subjective one...

Jaguar is not as large a company as Merc, BMW, or Audi, and therefore probably doesn't have the same funds to put into research. However, I do know that Ford financed some fairly hefty improvements in technology for Jaguar as well as a new factory.

Land Rover sells about 6 times as many vehicles as Jaguar does yearly. One thing I don't understand fully is why Jaguar has never tried to sell more cars than they do...perhaps I don't fully understand their business strategy. Does Jaguar not desire to sell 200K cars a year? Do they not want to have that many Jags on the road? Do they want to remain a boutique brand? Is their price point high enough that they cannot sell 200K vehicles a year?

Jaguar could improve the technological properties of their cars...would that attract more buyers? Would a 3 dimensional Nav readout motivate someone to pay $60K for an XF? It does seem that Jaguar has made a conscious decision to not be as inventive or as bold with the technology of their cars as Ian has been with the design and styling. They have made some advancements, with the technology in the new F Type a big step in the right direction.

There always has to be a reasonable return on an investment.

The following users liked this post:
Executive (05-29-2013)
Old 05-30-2013, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

theres a difference between being up to date in electronics and meeting a standard with electronics.

theres no technological genius behind the rotary knob. transmissions these days are electronically controlled....so whether its a rotary knob or a handle knob, they all work the same way: send a signal to the tranny to change gears. the rotary knob is just a fancy way Jag decided to go about it

however in terms of electronic goodie standards....theres no reason why a $100k car has lower standards than a car half or even less than half of the price. My issue is with 2 groups of people: 1) the people responsible for creating the software (most likely not Jag)....2) the people responsible for approving the system.

As a software engineer, i know for a fact that the system is subpar in terms of standards. most likely due to trying to cut costs, using cheaper processors and low quality chips. The higher executives who are responsible for approving the system should be ashamed of themselves. theres no way anyone can say "oh yes this lag is perfectly acceptable for a $100k car".........i mean if you're going to be putting in the money for having this system built....why not do it right the first time?

its all about the bigger picture.....why spend $100k on a car if you're not getting the full package?

The following users liked this post:
ExpatJag (05-30-2013)
Old 05-30-2013, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member

I think the same could be said about the Germain marques.

Who signs off on $140,000 760Li, when interiors in them look 20 years old compared to the interior in the Xj. Would you agree?

Old 05-30-2013, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by carzaddict
theres a difference between being up to date in electronics and meeting a standard with electronics.

theres no technological genius behind the rotary knob. transmissions these days are electronically controlled....so whether its a rotary knob or a handle knob, they all work the same way: send a signal to the tranny to change gears. the rotary knob is just a fancy way Jag decided to go about it

however in terms of electronic goodie standards....theres no reason why a $100k car has lower standards than a car half or even less than half of the price. My issue is with 2 groups of people: 1) the people responsible for creating the software (most likely not Jag)....2) the people responsible for approving the system.

As a software engineer, i know for a fact that the system is subpar in terms of standards. most likely due to trying to cut costs, using cheaper processors and low quality chips. The higher executives who are responsible for approving the system should be ashamed of themselves. theres no way anyone can say "oh yes this lag is perfectly acceptable for a $100k car".........i mean if you're going to be putting in the money for having this system built....why not do it right the first time?

its all about the bigger picture.....why spend $100k on a car if you're not getting the full package?
I understand the point(s) you are making; and that is why I think (for whatever reason) Jaguar has made a conscious decision *not* to be as innovative with the electronics/technology interaction with the driver as Ian has been with the styling. If they think they *are* being innovative then they have no clue what they are doing in this area and need some serious help.

Obviously they have invested in the mechanics as well.

There is so much they could do with the software that would bring the driver interaction to a more involved and up-to-date expectation. Why they don't make that investment is beyond me, but I hope there is a logical reason for it.

Otherwise the management/leadership of Jaguar has some serious issues.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:57 AM

Who signs off on $140,000 760Li, when interiors in them look 20 years old compared to the interior in the Xj. Would you agree?
I would disagree because I just saw the 2014 750 Li and the interior is immaculate.

Originally Posted by rscultho
There are those that feel Jaguar is behind in technology application...but if my choice is between a BMW with the atrocious lines of their interior and a computer that can take my blood pressure or a luxurious sexy Jaguar with somewhat slow responsive computer screen I'll take the Jag. But that choice is a subjective one...

Jaguar is not as large a company as Merc, BMW, or Audi, and therefore probably doesn't have the same funds to put into research. However, I do know that Ford financed some fairly hefty improvements in technology for Jaguar as well as a new factory.

Land Rover sells about 6 times as many vehicles as Jaguar does yearly. One thing I don't understand fully is why Jaguar has never tried to sell more cars than they do...perhaps I don't fully understand their business strategy. Does Jaguar not desire to sell 200K cars a year? Do they not want to have that many Jags on the road? Do they want to remain a boutique brand? Is their price point high enough that they cannot sell 200K vehicles a year?

Jaguar could improve the technological properties of their cars...would that attract more buyers? Would a 3 dimensional Nav readout motivate someone to pay $60K for an XF? It does seem that Jaguar has made a conscious decision to not be as inventive or as bold with the technology of their cars as Ian has been with the design and styling. They have made some advancements, with the technology in the new F Type a big step in the right direction.

There always has to be a reasonable return on an investment.

And of course Jaguar wants to sell as many cars as the big four. The problem has always been market and perception. The perception is why Jaguars are beautiful cars they are not very dependable and spend a lot of time in the shop. And unfortunately that has been the case historically. Also, Jaguar has made the mistake of designing a car and riding that design into the grave. There wasnt alot of innovation, technological first, or forward thinking. And finally it was probably just managed wrong. While Ford helped Jaguar upgrade its production skills I'm not sure they knew what they wanted Jaguar to be. If we haven't noticed American car companies don't really do luxury and I don't think Ford appreciated the heritage and the brand as a whole. I feel they just tried to make a Ford with a Jaguar badge and charge a higher price. I'm not sure TATA is right place for them to be either.

Regardless of how you feel, the Volkswagen Group is the be the best car company on the planet. The synergy all their companies has translated to all their brands and has made each one a better company individually. I wish Jaguar had something like that. I think Jaguar would be made better with some German engineering as some of the other non-german owned car companies has. The only thing TATA does for Jaguar is give them money. There better never be some TATA engineering that goes into a Jaguar or Jag is done. Why? Cause TATA makes crap and that doesn't benefit them all. They are better off owned by KIA. If I was KIA I would build my own Volkswagen group and buy Jaguar/Land Rover, Aston Martin, and Pagani or Ferrari.

Thats why if Jaguar hopes to sell the numbers that BMW and the others sell it has to be better. It can't come out the same because then they lose by default because they are not BMW, Mercedes, or Audi. Lexus would have never worked if they came out the gate like they were already part of the big three. The disadvantage they didn't have was an already negative perception by the marketplace pertaining to reliability. If you remember when Lexus came out they caught the German's slipping and built near perfect cars. They were using technology like keyless entry that the german hadn't even thought of. And because of that the market responded and the Germans were left scrambling to catch up. It's what Apple did in the cell phone industry. The majors had grown complacent and Apple delivered a product lightyears ahead of what was available at the time and something the consumer desired and the market responded.

I love this car but it could have been such a better product. You remember it came out in 2010 and then they delayed it to 2011. It gave them a whole other year to get some things right. I use to a being a first time adopter because I am a tech guy and with that somethings about bond to mess up. But somebody should have looked at the segment which I am sure they did and said alright this is the min level of things this car must have to compete in the segment. Now seeing that we are starting negative we have to do more than the min. How much more is of course a business call. I personally think they did it wrong. I think they should have came out with the new X-Type first and put the big three on notice. Showed the world not only can we make the most beautiful cars at the X-Type price but we can also make the most reliable and match you tech for tech and then some.

Now I haven't got into their terrible website and crappy deal network. And won't even touch on how the company hierarchy has them set up as three different Jaguar companies.(Which means nothing to you unless you have an American spec car in another company or vice versa which happens because of the military).

I just want Jaguar to want to be a better company than it is. And realize no amount of cool events is going to translate in to more car sales. Because even the people that attend those things at the end of the night jump into their BMWs, Mercedes, Audis, or Bentleys.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member

Actually, Tata is the best thing that happened to Jaguar. They provide them with financial aid without having their nose into company's management. That's the way it should be.

I think Jaguar deserves little more credit, as they topped the lexus, bmw and Merc in terms of reliability. And, they reinvented themselves within 3-4 years, including a brand new model.

Not sure on VW being the best car company. In terms of profitability - one formula fits all, then yes.
Otherwise, i wouldn't want my $300,000 Lamborghini with VW Toureg overhead console in it. They have their hands into every aspect of their subsidiaries.

They may be buying Aston Martin soon, which is terrifying.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:04 AM

Actually, Tata is the best thing that happened to Jaguar. They provide them with financial aid without having their nose into company's management. That's the way it should be.

I think Jaguar deserves little more credit, as they topped the lexus, bmw and Merc in terms of reliability. And, they reinvented themselves within 3-4 years, including a brand new model.

Not sure on VW being the best car company. In terms of profitability - one formula fits all, then yes.
Otherwise, i wouldn't want my $300,000 Lamborghini with VW Toureg overhead console in it. They have their hands into every aspect of their subsidiaries.

They may be buying Aston Martin soon, which is terrifying.
I will disagree with you on that one. And time will tell. As far as reliability goes I won't get into those silly JD Powers awards. Again time will tell. My experience would say otherwise and I am just not talking about my engine issue.

For a time I thought they already owned Aston Martin but I wouldn't see that as a bad thing. There are just some things small companies can't do or do poorly. Like Lamborghini and infotainment consoles.

I would love for Jaguar to become big like BMW and then buy Aston, and Bentley and become the Jaguar group.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member

That would be the an outstanding business joint-venture.

One thing i always loved about Aston Martin, is the amount of elegance incorporated into them.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:12 AM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

At risk of proving your point, Bentley and Lamborghini are both VW owned and look how far they have come in the last decade. They both ahare engines, some switchgear and nav with Audi. Same with Ferrari which was 50% owned by fiat until 2006 when fiat upped its stake to over 80%. I agree with you that jaguar would benefit from a partnership with BMW or similar, but that won't happen.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:27 AM
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Venture - I'm in the UK. I did enquire of the supplying dealer what the service record shows for my car but it is completely empty (no warranty work has been done apparently). Given that the only previous owner of my car was 'Jaguar UK' and that it had covered only 2,100 miles in the 14 months before I took ownership I would have expected the car to be in pristine condition and with all updates done ... I suspect that the touchscreen change would have been done by a fleet dealership rather than by the factory but I'm less than impressed that there should be any damage to the trim of the car as a result

Old 06-01-2013, 06:15 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

yyyeeeesssssss

Old 07-04-2013, 12:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did you get a new engine? I'm sure there's a thread, if so point me to it please
Thanks
M

The rotary knob saves no space at all. It takes up the exact same amount of space as the F type shifter. If it was about saving space they could have just put it on the steering wheel stock.

It will be gone in the next three years.

It all good. I got my new engine but it did help the Jaguar reputation any when people asked me where my new car was.

Quick Reply: Software update to new 2013 version for my 2011 XJ?