XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Software update to new 2013 version for my 2011 XJ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 11:37 AM
Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

I agree that Jaguar's driver interface through the screen, at least on my 2010 XKR, is not at the level one could reasonably expect from a 100 grand car.

But, to me, it is serviceable. What is far more important to me is the road feel of the car--its handling, engine power and flexibility, and overall weight. As a track guy, weight matters to me in a big way, even if my XKR is not one of my track machines on a regular basis.

Making a car that handles like this one does, with a well tuned suspension, diff, etc. and with that excellent supercharged V8 providing the power--for less money and far less weight than those far more common Benz machines--is a fine technological achievement in my view. Throw in the fact that it looks sweeter than any of them to my eye, and I'm sold.

All that said, it would be good if they could improve the interface. This is the same my 2004 XJR was--well behind the times on electronic infotainment stuff. But that's a cross I am willing to bear in exchange for what else I get

Old 07-04-2013, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce M.
I agree that Jaguar's driver interface through the screen, at least on my 2010 XKR, is not at the level one could reasonably expect from a 100 grand car....

...All that said, it would be good if they could improve the interface. This is the same my 2004 XJR was--well behind the times on electronic infotainment stuff. But that's a cross I am willing to bear in exchange for what else I get
Agree on both ends. The Jag electronics are way behind. The navigation, even on my XJL and XF is a laughing joke. I run my Google nav in parallel with the Jag's still trying to figure out how to make the Jag's work better.

Sometimes it is the small stuff; like yesterday, we went out for dinner in the XJL and I proceeded to use voice control to enter the address into the nav. I go through the steps, the nav understands my voice control, displays the address on the screen than suddenly CANCELS it by saying that I failed to AGREE to the safety warning. Right after (not before) it cancels, it displays the screen to with the choice to AGREE or CANCEL. Needless to say it did not give me the option to AGREE prior to cancelling. So, now I have to go through the same lengthy process of entering the info. I simply wonder who in the hell found this acceptable when putting together the interface? But, now I just laugh it off as the ghost of LUCAS.

For the first time I actually parked front-to-back to an other XJL in front of the restaurant. When we came out with my company of friends, one of them spotted the two XJLs and called everyone's attention to them, saying what gorgeous cars they were. They did not know that one of them was mine. Yes, things like that makes owning Jags special.

Albert

Old 07-05-2013, 08:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

I have experienced the same with the voice control in the XF. Now, i make sure to tap the NAV button, agree to it and then start using it.

The following 2 users liked this post by Executive:
axr6 (07-05-2013), docmalc (07-05-2013)
Old 07-05-2013, 12:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Executive
I have experienced the same with the voice control in the XF. Now, i make sure to tap the NAV button, agree to it and then start using it.

Do you hit the NAV button, agree, and then use voice control or do you do all of this instead of using voice control?

Old 07-05-2013, 01:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by docmalc
Do you hit the NAV button, agree, and then use voice control or do you do all of this instead of using voice control?
I find myself using the touchscreen much more than using the voice control.

For example, if i want to make a call (phone is always in the pocket), i will click phone icon and tap recent, it will start dialing.

With the voice control, it takes twice as long, since my British girlfriend likes to confirm every word i say, before she moves on to the next step.

These things can be very annoying to some, but doesn't bother me as much.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Executive
With the voice control, it takes twice as long, since my British girlfriend likes to confirm every word i say, before she moves on to the next step.

These things can be very annoying to some, but doesn't bother me as much.
Yeah, Executive, that is annoying... that she is pretending to be YOUR British girlfriend. I always figured she was MINE!

Having said that, I use voice often, particularly when I am driving my local, narrow, winding roads where one micro-second worth of attention loss could land you off the side of the canyon. It is really an issue of safety. In that regard it is even more stupid having to AGREE to the nav warning by taking your eyes off the road and play with the center console display and its small touch buttons.

First, why even require an AGREE prompt? The fact that I am entering info into the nav indicates my volunteer participation. But, OK, so I have to agree because some British lawyer figured it would be a necessary protection against a litigation-happy American culture. Then, why not make it a voice prompt, since the whole idea of using voice is to keep your eyes on the road? Wait...of course... I get it... by pushing the button, it will actually record my agreement and transmits it to the NSA, pronto!!!

Albert

Old 07-08-2013, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by axr6
Yeah, Executive, that is annoying... that she is pretending to be YOUR British girlfriend. I always figured she was MINE!

Having said that, I use voice often, particularly when I am driving my local, narrow, winding roads where one micro-second worth of attention loss could land you off the side of the canyon. It is really an issue of safety. In that regard it is even more stupid having to AGREE to the nav warning by taking your eyes off the road and play with the center console display and its small touch buttons.

First, why even require an AGREE prompt? The fact that I am entering info into the nav indicates my volunteer participation. But, OK, so I have to agree because some British lawyer figured it would be a necessary protection against a litigation-happy American culture. Then, why not make it a voice prompt, since the whole idea of using voice is to keep your eyes on the road? Wait...of course... I get it... by pushing the button, it will actually record my agreement and transmits it to the NSA, pronto!!!
Albert
She is lovely, isn't she? I think she got my attention on the first day, just from saying "khumund" to my orders. Sometimes it's the little things that make the biggest differences, i guess.

I tenaciously believe in your statement Albert. I see no sense in having to agree to it every time. The fact that i get in the car and start the engine, i am taking responsibility of motoring my vehicle.
But, like you said, we are in the land of litigation.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:21 PM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by docmalc
How did you get a new engine? I'm sure there's a thread, if so point me to it please
Thanks
M
Not to sound like an *** but it is a warranty item. Just took it to the dealer. They checked it and found the problem to be with the engine then they sent it back to Jaguar and sent me a new engine.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:41 PM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

I finally took delivery of my 2011 XJL SC on Sunday. So far the car is great for driving but the onboard Infotainment is funny. The Jag's voice recognition is terrible, it cannot understand me saying "Three".

My 2010 Ford Fusion's Sync system is probably the nicest built-in I have ever seen at any price point, and it has improved since then.

Old 12-06-2013, 02:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks to this thread, my dealer is trying to accomodate me, but, thus far, has only been able to change out the instrument surround buttons to the 2013 m/y style. Not the unit itself. If someone has a specific bulletin # I can reference, I'd greatly appreciate it.

-Eddie

Old 12-11-2013, 03:07 PM

Dealer got it squared away. Needed one last firmware update and everything is now to 2013 specs. Thank you to the thread creator for this valuable piece of info!!

Old 12-11-2013, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by lakerholic
Dealer got it squared away. Needed one last firmware update and everything is now to 2013 specs. Thank you to the thread creator for this valuable piece of info!!
Sorry could you explain exactly what you've had done please? I contacted Jaguar here in the UK and was told nothing can be done about this.

How have you managed to upgrade from an old version to the 2013 style one? And I assume there was a fee for this?

Hope you can help!

Old 12-11-2013, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by JAG_XJ
Sorry could you explain exactly what you've had done please? I contacted Jaguar here in the UK and was told nothing can be done about this.

How have you managed to upgrade from an old version to the 2013 style one? And I assume there was a fee for this?

Hope you can help!
Hi there, no fee. I have a MY 2012 XJ SC. I contacted my dealer and told them about a Jaguar Bulletin regarding MY 2012 XJs with the "old style" navigation. They contacted Jaguar USA (I'm in the States) and were told the bulletin was good through 2/2012. However, because of the build date of my car, it was actually on a ship to the US when the bulletin expired so Jaguar agreed to do the upgrade for me, free of charge. The upgrade consisted of: 1) new panel buttons (the entire surround for the nav unit needed to be replaced) and 2) a firmware update for the nav. I did NOT receive an entirely new Nav unit as the OP stated, nor is one necessary.

I would suggest you pointing to the first page of this thread and showing the panel button differences to your dealer (also in the first page). Make them call Jaguar Corporate in the UK regarding this. If you have a MY2012 and your display does not look like that of the 2013 model XJs you should be eligible for this FREE upgrade.

Good luck,

-Eddie

Old 12-12-2013, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by lakerholic
Hi there, no fee. I have a MY 2012 XJ SC. I contacted my dealer and told them about a Jaguar Bulletin regarding MY 2012 XJs with the "old style" navigation. They contacted Jaguar USA (I'm in the States) and were told the bulletin was good through 2/2012. However, because of the build date of my car, it was actually on a ship to the US when the bulletin expired so Jaguar agreed to do the upgrade for me, free of charge. The upgrade consisted of: 1) new panel buttons (the entire surround for the nav unit needed to be replaced) and 2) a firmware update for the nav. I did NOT receive an entirely new Nav unit as the OP stated, nor is one necessary.

I would suggest you pointing to the first page of this thread and showing the panel button differences to your dealer (also in the first page). Make them call Jaguar Corporate in the UK regarding this. If you have a MY2012 and your display does not look like that of the 2013 model XJs you should be eligible for this FREE upgrade.

Good luck,

-Eddie
Ahhh okay, thanks for the information but I hadn't read the thread properly (if it was mentioned), I have a 2010 XJ, not 2012, so as far as I'm aware there would be no free upgrade to the 2013 system for my car, maybe not even possible at all

Thanks

Old 01-03-2014, 09:01 AM

I just bought a 2012 with 16K miles on it and it does not have new touchscreen. I am getting dealer pushback about installing.

What are my options?

Gregg

Old 01-03-2014, 03:28 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Software update

This may help. I purchased my 2012 xjl brand new on dec 26,2011. It was built in November 2011. Hence it was a 2012 model with an early build date. It came with the old touchscreen that had the tiny icons. After I signed the papers they said I was eligible for the new touchscreen system. They would need to swap out the whole system/ head unit. I was hesitant at first as I didn't mind the screen it came with. They said it was my choice either way. I drove it for a month before I had it replaced( my salesman talked me into it)

There was a campaign and service bull item for this. Unfortunately , I can't find the paperwork. I think most dealers didn't offer it to their customers or maybe since you are second owner. Maybe the first owner decided he didn't want the upgrade.

What's the dealer telling you? Private message me and maybe we can talk on the phone and I can explain it better?

Old 01-04-2014, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by gregg5788
I just bought a 2012 with 16K miles on it and it does not have new touchscreen. I am getting dealer pushback about installing.

What are my options?

Gregg
Adding to what Venture posted above, I have a 12/11 build date 5.0 SC. The service campaign expired in 1/2012 but my car was on a boat to the US, so it never would have been eligible given the short window for the campaign. My dealer called Jaguar USA, and they agreed to do the fix.

Please note, in my instance at least, my unit was not replaced. The surround around the navigation (the button panels) were replaced and new firmware was downloaded giving me the new look, bigger touch screen buttons and, again in my experience, a must faster UI.

I will see if I can discern anything from the paperwork and would be happy to scan and email it to you if it provides anything of value. I would also suggest you calling Jaguar USA on your own and complaining.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:59 AM

Thanks for the responses, I will call Jag USA tomorrow.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by gregg5788
Thanks for the responses, I will call Jag USA tomorrow.
Let us know what happens!

Old 01-10-2014, 03:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default glad this helped..

I am happy this thread has helped some people get their upgrades. This was just one of my demands to the dealer along with a couple others.

One other was that they repair the slight curb rash that I had on 3 of my wheels when i purchased the CPO vehicle a year old. Salesman said they would repair the wheels and had a documented agreement as part of the sale. Later, the sales manager took over my account because the salesman was no longer with the company. When they had me bring the vehicle in the wheel repair guy said that it couldn't be repaired because the wheels are chrome. They would need to be completely redipped. Therefore, they just gave me a new set of wheels at no charge!

I was so happy with how they handled that I completely forgot to followup for the navigation system upgrade. It's been some time now so I may just stick with what I have since I haven't had any issues with this system, and haven't heard anyone rave about how great the new one is. Also, I noticed a couple people comment that this only applied to the 2012 models, which I don't have.

Quick Reply: Software update to new 2013 version for my 2011 XJ?